Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tasteless?  (Read 2945 times)

Bobber

Tasteless?
« on: May 12, 2009, 01:34:26 PM »

How tasteless can you get?

On an exhibition on the life of John Lennon in New York which will open soon, the clothes that John wore while he was shot will be shown to the public. The clothes, covered with blood, will be in a paper bag. Yoko helped to get the exhibition together and she said that 'it was difficult to show the clothes to the public'. She is expecting 'some critic'...
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: Tasteless?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 03:15:42 PM »

I think the creepiest thing isn't that she's exhibiting them, but that she saved them in the first place. A what point in her supposedly deep grieving process did she decide "I'll hang on to those. They're bound to come in useful.)
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 04:19:43 PM »

That is so messed up.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 04:39:03 PM »

very messed up, it just adds to the did she really love him for him or the attention that came with being with him

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 08:29:10 PM »

Some more information:

"NEW YORK - A new John Lennon exhibit is particularly emotional for his widow, Yoko Ono. Besides Lennon's guitars, letters and other personal effects, it also includes a paper bag containing the bloody clothes from the night he was shot to death.

Ono received the items from the medical examiner in December 1980, when the former Beatle was gunned down in New York City at age 40.

"It was hard to include," Ono said. "And I thought it might be criticized as well."

But ultimately, Ono thought it was important to let people see the effects of gun violence.

The Lennon items are part of a new exhibit that will launch Tuesday at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Annex. "John Lennon: The New York Years" includes Lennon's famous New York City T-shirt, his upright piano from his Dakota apartment, and a posthumous 1981 Grammy Award for the couple's album "Double Fantasy."

"I know it's a kind of a sad and very poignant kind of paradox I think that he loved this place so much and this is where he was killed," she said in an interview after a news conference for the exhibit.

There are also letters documenting Lennon's long-fought battle against deportation in the early 1970s, both from the government and supporters. Glass cases also contain a dozen or so handwritten lyrics.

Ono says Lennon's death still haunts her nearly 30 years later: "I still get affected by it."

"If it (his death) was a slow a process we could have talked about it or something," she added, holding back tears.

The exhibit will be on display throughout 2009."

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 09:18:56 PM »

The cynic in me says, "But are they even the actual clothes?"
The human being in me screams, "Why???"
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 09:36:03 PM »

From my point of view she descended to the deepest level of tastlesness hell when she released that album with blood stained specs on the cover. Were they actually his, or just made up to look like the ones he was wearing that night? I guess in a way it doesn't matter.

Maybe we should all actually feel very sorry for her, as she is obviously still grieving after all these years. It would be a nice touch if the people of this forum got a collection together, just a few $ or pounds or rubles, whatever, from each of us could make a big difference, or at least it would be a touching gesture that we care about her. That might be all she really needs to get past this very difficult stage of her life.

(barf2)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 12:56:10 AM »

Has anyone seen this exhibit? I'd like to hear some reviews. My cousin, who lives in NY, said they showed it on the news a bit and the clothes are in a bag. You don't really see them. She hasn't gone yet. I would go for sure. I don't know if it's tasteless or not. It's reality. I think John would have done it himself. Or agreed to it. Her quote being something like, he was king of the world and he came back to me in a bag. That's exactly right. Maybe people need to be shocked more often so they'll act. The gun laws are still ridiculous after all these years. I don't know. I think it's powerful, but I don't always trust Yoko's motives.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 01:30:58 AM »

Quote from: 216
Has anyone seen this exhibit? I'd like to hear some reviews. My cousin, who lives in NY, said they showed it on the news a bit and the clothes are in a bag. You don't really see them. She hasn't gone yet. I would go for sure. I don't know if it's tasteless or not. It's reality. I think John would have done it himself. Or agreed to it. Her quote being something like, he was king of the world and he came back to me in a bag. That's exactly right. Maybe people need to be shocked more often so they'll act. The gun laws are still ridiculous after all these years. I don't know. I think it's powerful, but I don't always trust Yoko's motives.

I haven't been to the exhibit in NY but I remember I went to the RnR HOF in 2002 and John's bloodstained clothes were there (in a bag if I remember correctly) as well as his glasses.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 02:30:14 PM »

Quote from: 185
I think the creepiest thing isn't that she's exhibiting them, but that she saved them in the first place. A what point in her supposedly deep grieving process did she decide "I'll hang on to those. They're bound to come in useful.)

You are 100% right! How could a person in grief have saved such a thing?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 07:51:25 AM »

Quote from: 1393

You are 100% right! How could a person in grief have saved such a thing?

Everyone's different. She seems to have saved everything of his. How can any of us understand what she went through and how it felt to witness such a horrible thing? Again, I think it's a powerful statement to make, sharing his clothes. I really think he would have approved on this one. But again, I don't always trust her motives.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 04:36:44 PM »

Her "artistic" side got the better of her human side. The material over the spiritual. And it has always been so with Yoko. John who was a very emotional, open and touchy at the same time person, humorous and enthusiastic, appeared to have lived with a robot, a calculator. I can`t trust her actions, they all seem to be well thought over in advance. I hope she didn`t save those clothes on purpose, but this is Yoko...

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 02:20:33 AM »

I heard that after Kurt Cobain died, Courtney Love slept in his pyjamas.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 02:36:27 AM »

Quote from: 218
I heard that after Kurt Cobain died, Courtney Love slept in his pyjamas.

Was he wearing PJs when he died?

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 03:39:18 AM »

ok, am I the only one who is wondering this?  The clothes haven't been washed right?  Could you imagine how bad they'd stink??  Well known fact that all bodily fluids are expelled when someone dies...  just saying...

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 04:15:18 AM »

Quote from: 1447
ok, am I the only one who is wondering this?  The clothes haven't been washed right?  Could you imagine how bad they'd stink??  Well known fact that all bodily fluids are expelled when someone dies...  just saying...

I'm sure they've been washed or at least freshed up with febreze  :P

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 04:58:46 PM »

I think the clothes have been preserved with some special chemicals.

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 09:14:27 PM »

OK, so she kept the clothes (though I'm still struggling to believe they are the actual ones, like previous posts have said  -  wouldn't they have rotted/putrified  -  and anyway it's just yuk!) BUT she auctioned off loads of other stuff.  Julian had to buy back postcards he'd written to his father, and other personal stuff.  I just don't understand the motivation of someone who KEEPS bloodstained clothes and SELLS postcards. (afraid2)
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 12:54:08 AM »

I guess we should just be glad that she hasn't mummified him and put him on display like one of the Pharaohs.  Where's Percy Shelley and Ozymandias when you need him?

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 02:32:38 AM »

I can see it artistically.

I can not see it humainly.

It is a simple as that. I'm not going to go on my usual babble about this because I don't really want to think about it. But my statement above says most of it.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 90 queries.