Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Were you a Beatles fan before the Anthology?  (Read 3817 times)

Wayne L.

Were you a Beatles fan before the Anthology?
« on: August 20, 2006, 09:09:49 PM »

I doubt it if most of you were Beatles fans before the Anthology documentary eleven years ago or the 1 compilation.  Since I have been a Beatles fan since I first heard them on the radio in my parent's car way back in 69.   I didn't know their history or their classic rock albums or their latest ones at the time until I was 11/12 way back in 75/76.  You kids who are into the Fab 4 today are a rare breed indeed of your generation since most of them are into Jessica Simpson, Justin Timberlake & Black Eyed Peas.  I wouldn't doubt it, if you get picked on in school, because you're a Beatles fan these days, from your classmates since it's like your parents or grandparent's music.  I know there are some of you who have been fans for a long time just like myself.  Hopefully I can have some intelligent discussions on this site & I don't care whether you agree or disagree with me on any topic.  
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
Re: Were you a Beatles fan before the Anthology?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 09:14:59 PM »

Quote from: Wayne_L.
I doubt it if most of you were Beatles fans before the Anthology documentary eleven years ago or the 1 compilation.  Since I have been a Beatles fan since I first heard them on the radio in my parent's car way back in 69.   I didn't know their history or their classic rock albums or their latest ones at the time until I was 11/12 way back in 75/76.  You kids who are into the Fab 4 today are a rare breed indeed of your generation since most of them are into Jessica Simpson, Justin Timberlake & Black Eyed Peas.  I wouldn't doubt it, if you get picked on in school, because you're a Beatles fan these days, from your classmates since it's like your parents or grandparent's music.  I know there are some of you who have been fans for a long time just like myself.  Hopefully I can have some intelligent discussions on this site & I don't care whether you agree or disagree with me on any topic.  

most of you? how young do you think the people here are? btw, there may be a small group of my generation that still likes pop artists like them but a majority listen to punk, emo, indie, rap or classic rock. and i have never been picked on for loving the beatles or any other classic rock bands. its actually a turn on sometimes.

intelligent conversations? some of us try but if we disagree with you we get called a liberal wacko. my kingdom for an intelligent octopus ::)
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 09:31:37 PM »

I was! :)

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 09:46:15 PM »

well you were born 3 years before moses (sorry to any non-jewish/christian people here)
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 11:12:10 PM »

Wow, I didn't think it possible that someone could be so wrong, about so many things, so often, but you Wayne hold the record! Oh and by the way, as usual you are  wrong again Wayne... ::)

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 04:10:31 AM »

In ways hes right, I got into The Beatles the beginning of my senior year which was about 3 or 4 years ago. When I started listening to them, my friends who listened to heavy metal and heavier classic rock bands like Led Zeppelin made fun of me for it. They were like "Dude, thats what my parents listen to". I never cared too much because unlike them I had a mind of my own and didn't listen to the music they did for the sake of fitting in. Nowadays I'm more into Wings than The Beatles, I still love The Beatles though.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 08:12:51 AM »

Yes. And I like the Black Eyed Peas.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 11:22:07 AM »

Who cares when somebody becomes a Beatles fan?

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 11:26:44 AM »

Quote from: Bobber

Absolutely spot on!! :)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 12:46:05 PM »

I doubt it if most of you were Beatles fans before the Anthology documentary eleven years ago or the 1 compilation.

I became a serious Beatles fan just 4 years ago when I was 23. So what?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 03:40:41 PM »

'1' is the album that converted most of the younger generation in my opinion. At the time, I think it was the 'in' thing to own it. As for the Anthology, I would think that you would have had to already been a fan of the group to really be interested in it. I dont know anybody that was swayed to become a Beatle fan because of the Anthology. I mean, if an Anthology came out for the Spice Girls, I wouldnt buy it because I had no prior interest in them. Same difference.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 07:04:32 PM »

ya, 1 converted me and others of my generation when it came out. i started listening to yellow submarine, then went to a few songs after that, then went back to love me do and from me to you. eventually i listened to the entire thing for without skipping songs but it took me awhile to get through the section between Eight days a week and Paperback Writer.

Taxgirl

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 07:46:21 PM »

Quote from: Bobber

Well said! ;D

Well, I WAS a Beatles fan, I became a fan when I saw "Help" at my age 7. :P :P :K) :K)

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 08:03:03 PM »

ya, i unfortunately am not that old ;D

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 08:39:46 PM »

Quote from: tkitna
I dont know anybody that was swayed to become a Beatle fan because of the Anthology.

I actually became a Beatles fan because of the Anthology. For some reason I've always been fascinated with demos, outtakes, B-sides and stuff like that. I owned Anthology 2 before I owned any of the regular albums. Listening to Anthology 2 a lot made me want to hear the final versions of all those songs, that's why I started collecting all the regular albums.

But you're right, of course I was already somewhat interested in the Beatles before I got the Anthology CDs.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 12:25:13 PM »

Quote from: 63

Exactly!!! We're tons of them but never enough!!! Everybody's very welcome!!!  ;)

I enjoy talking to young fans ... they're points of view are fresh to me (everything they've got is fresh to me, y'know  ;D)

By the way, if anybody's interestied: I'm a fan since I was 16 or so ... way back before The Anthologies ... very early 90s.  8)

SallyG

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 02:55:24 PM »

Quote from: 56

I actually became a Beatles fan because of the Anthology. For some reason I've always been fascinated with demos, outtakes, B-sides and stuff like that. I owned Anthology 2 before I owned any of the regular albums. Listening to Anthology 2 a lot made me want to hear the final versions of all those songs, that's why I started collecting all the regular albums.

But you're right, of course I was already somewhat interested in the Beatles before I got the Anthology CDs.

That's pretty cool BP, to dive in head first, going for the more obscure stuff right off the bat. Me, myself, and I have all been fans before, during, and after the Anthology series.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 04:41:14 PM »

I'm a pre anthology. Discovered my parents copy of 'A Hard Days Night' vinyl at 6. T'was the sad year our man Lennon passed. :'(

Happy to still be diggin them. :)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

twistandshout

• A Beginning
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 06:46:30 PM »

Wayne, I think it's pretty safe to say that there are, in fact, many older members here who definitely grew up with the Beatles.

You can take as a yes btw.
Wayne L., immortalized in song and dance

Kate

• A Thousand Pages
  • Don't take it from the top
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2006, 07:13:02 PM »

The Beatles are -fortunately- still up-to-date and that's what counts, either young or not so young anymore, we all love their music and their qualities. I'm became a fan when I was 10 - look up my profile and do your own maths.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 85 queries.