Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Velvet Underground  (Read 2056 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
The Velvet Underground
« on: July 05, 2012, 08:36:56 AM »

A very interesting band, if only for having a very unique style and for their influence. I got their debut album, 'Velvet Underground & Nico' a few weeks ago, and I was expecting to love it, since it gets raving reviews all around the internet. I was only being familiar with the opener, the beautiful 'Sunday Morning', which is without a doubt, the most accessible song here. I hated it at first. Boring, monotonous, repetitive, and all being "topped" by the cold and emotionless voice of the so called german singer Nico. But I've learned from experience that certain albums need some time until you get used to the band's style, so I kept on playing it. 9 listens after, I think it's a good album. 'Heroin', 'Sunday Morning', 'Venus in Furs' and 'All Tomorrow's Parties' are great songs. But still, I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, nor the best album of all-time. I don't even know if it would rank as a 10/10 in my book. How can an album with 'European Son' on it be considered perfect, anyway?

Any other people familiar with the band/the album?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:07:58 AM by The 5th Beatle »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Bobber

Re: The Velvet Underground
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:41:02 AM »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:44:59 AM »

I'm very familiar with the reviews and the banana cover and all that jazz, but i've never bought the album because I hate what i've heard. The monotone voice and the almost punk like quality just turn me off. I admit though that I never gave the album an honest shot so I might be a little nearsighted on my take.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 09:59:47 AM »

I guess there's something here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=1028.0

Sorry, missed that one.

I'm very familiar with the reviews and the banana cover and all that jazz, but i've never bought the album because I hate what i've heard. The monotone voice and the almost punk like quality just turn me off. I admit though that I never gave the album an honest shot so I might be a little nearsighted on my take.

The voices are indeed kind of monotone, both Lou Reed's and Nico's. The production is raw and unpolished, but that's about the only thing that sounds punkish about it. The songs are slow and they drag on and on, and most of the time they sound dreamy and melancholic, as opposed to the fast and angry punk ones.

There's a great quote that Velvet fans like to slam into your face once you criticize the album. I think Brian Eno said it : "The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band."
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:03:17 AM by The 5th Beatle »

david bigcheeseplant

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 04:40:36 PM »

After the Beatles the Velvet Underground are my next Favorite band, if you want to listen to something more comercial listen to the third album called Velvet Underground or the forth album called Loaded there are some fantastic songs on both

David

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 05:12:29 PM »

After the Beatles the Velvet Underground are my next Favorite band, if you want to listen to something more comercial listen to the third album called Velvet Underground or the forth album called Loaded there are some fantastic songs on both

David

Hi David and welcome to the forum. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give those albums a try.

nimrod

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 11:34:23 PM »

Never been a fan myself - just cant get on with the vocals

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 03:54:12 AM »

The Velvet Underground & Nico provided some of the soundtrack to my early college years and the Greenwich Village scene.  Some scary stuff and I was young and impressionable at the time. 

Today, the album is very nostalgic for me.
I can stay till it's time to go

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 54 queries.