Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 50 Worst Artists Of All Time  (Read 9982 times)

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
50 Worst Artists Of All Time
« on: November 16, 2009, 12:04:07 AM »

http://www.blender.com/lists/67198/50-worst-artists-in-music-history.html

Some of this I don't agree with, but it's interesting anyways :)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: 50 Worst Artists Of All Time
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 01:03:51 AM »

Most of these are no-brainers, really. I'm not surprised to see the Doors on there- Blender hates the Doors and they need some controversy for the list anyway.

Glad to see ICP at number one though. The only thing worse than their music is their fans.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 01:25:18 AM »

Fun list although theres sure to be some bands people dont agree with. Theres definately a few on there that I like. Example - Blind Melon. They rank SOUP as their worst album and thats the only record I like from them. Its great.

6 KANSAS
Worst CD - Point of Know Return (Columbia, 1977)

'Point Of No Return'? Really? So Blender ranks Kansas' most successful album as their worst? I love Kansas and i'm here to tell you that they have a lot worse albums than PONR. Silly.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 03:18:41 AM »

Don't let Aspie see number 2!  lol

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 05:59:39 AM »

"Asia!? You framed an Asia poster? How hard did the people in the framing store laugh when you brought that in?"

How are the Jonas Brothers not number one?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 07:39:32 AM »

The Doors are in the top 50 and Bon Jovi, Nickelback, Macey Gray, Anastacia and Destiny's Child aren't? Wow.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 07:43:13 AM »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:01:52 AM »

And check out the number 50 on this list:

http://www.blender.com/guide/68250/50-worst-things-ever-to-happen-to-music.html

ha2ha

I thought it was hysterical. I for one have had that feeling while listening to 'When I'm 64'.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 08:07:51 AM »

With inclusion of ELP, I'm surprised not to see any other prog bands make the list. Tales From Topographic Oceans anyone?

Subjective, as all lists are. I reckon we could all make a top 50 lists and each of us would have at least 4 or 5 albums in common. But we could probably make completely different worst 50's.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 01:35:46 PM »

A fun list. I agree with most of the prog rock stuff. But as BM said, it's all subjective. And no REO Speedwagon?
I do like the comment about Jim Morrison though:
"While in college, many young men still choose to immerse themselves in such ill-advised subjects as Nietzsche, black magic and Native American folklore. Most get over it; Jim Morrison, unfortunately, inflicted his terminally adolescent views on the wider world."

I quite like The Doors, but it bugs me when people call Morrison a poet or philospher. (that's what it said on the back cover of a book about him.
He seems to have been a drug addled twat, living out his teenage fantasies (ie f*cking his mother.) and having a tug on stage. But it did make for great music.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:43:31 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 10:44:21 AM »

I quite like The Doors, but it bugs me when people call Morrison a poet or philospher. (that's what it said on the back cover of a book about him.

That stuff always gets me as well. Same with Dylan. They're fu**ing songwriters for christsake!!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 11:13:35 AM »

I also agree with both of you.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 12:26:20 PM »

living out his teenage fantasies (ie f*cking his mother.)

I thought that was a pretty clever statement about double morals. What most people don't know is that he was actually quoting from an ancient Greek legend there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oedipus).

Jim Morrison the rock star says "Father, I want to kill you / Mother, I want to f**k you" and it's vulgar and perverse.

An old Greek book says "Father, I want to kill you / Mother, I want to f**k you" and it's classic literature.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 12:33:13 PM »

^ Bloke who used to live down the road from me said the same thing and ended up in prison. What a fine line between art and failure!!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 12:41:49 PM »

That stuff always gets me as well. Same with Dylan. They're fu**ing songwriters for christsake!!

Bob Dylan is a poet. And lyrics are poetry really. But Dylan is a writer beyond just writing catchy tunes. There's a difference. And btw, Morrison also put out poetry separate from his music with the Doors. He aspired to be a poet. Probably why people call him that. Give them some credit. It's not like with Lennon and people claiming him to be some deep thinking peace messiah or something.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 01:16:10 PM »

Bob Dylan is a poet. And lyrics are poetry really. But Dylan is a writer beyond just writing catchy tunes. There's a difference. And btw, Morrison also put out poetry separate from his music with the Doors. He aspired to be a poet. Probably why people call him that. Give them some credit. It's not like with Lennon and people claiming him to be some deep thinking peace messiah or something.

Fair enough. If a person writes poetry ergo they're a poet. Just from what I've read it's all very sixth-form-back-page-of-the-maths-book-while-the-teachers-not-looking stuff. He seems to have been the eternal seventeen year old with a masturbation fixation. Great rock and roller though.
A philospher? Okay, if I philosophise ergo I'm......but, it's normally meant as a compliment.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 01:20:02 PM »

I
Jim Morrison the rock star says "Father, I want to kill you / Mother, I want to f**k you" and it's vulgar and perverse.
An old Greek book says "Father, I want to kill you / Mother, I want to f**k you" and it's classic literature.

Life's a b**** ain't it?   :)
Can I withdraw my criticism of his pervisity at suggesting incest and replace it with a Knobhead Award for Pretentiousness?
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 01:32:24 PM »

The only artist I've come across whose lyrics can be read as poetry (as oppossed to something written as poetry) is Leonard Cohen. (I don't think I;'d enjoy reading Dylan lyrics without the music.)
don't follow leaders

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 01:40:58 PM »

The only artist I've come across whose lyrics can be read as poetry (as oppossed to something written as poetry) is Leonard Cohen. (I don't think I;'d enjoy reading Dylan lyrics without the music.)

For some reason I seem to recall that Leonard Cohen has written a book of poetry... either that or his lyrics were published in a book (I just remember standing in one of the book stores here and my friend is a huge Leonard Cohen fan and she was all excited about it)

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 01:29:21 AM »

Fair enough. If a person writes poetry ergo they're a poet.

Yeah, I don't think that's what I was saying. I'm not that simple minded.

I said Morrison aspired to be a poet. I never said he was a poet of any note. Just was saying that's why he gets the moniker.  :P

Really? Have you done much reading of Dylan's lyrics or read any of his books? His lyrics are very poetic. Maybe we have a different idea about what poetry actually is.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:34:13 AM by Sondra »
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.769 seconds with 85 queries.