Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Which Beatle book are you reading right now?  (Read 87675 times)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: Which Beatle book are you reading right now?
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 06:28:15 PM »

Quote from: 483
I just ordered that from Amazon Marketplace for £0.99, brand new!!
Eek! Thanks, BlueMeanie! I'm off to Amazon... again!

I'm just finished Simon Leng's excellent book While My Guitar Gently Weeps: The Music of George Harrison. Wow! Finally someone has done an insightful and satisfying exploration of George's life. This is the kind of book I wish had been available when George died. I intend to read it again, listening to every song as I go through (I was too impatient this time to do that).

Unlike some others  ::), Leng did thorough research of his subject. He knows George's music inside and out, and can place it appropriately into the musical context of what was going on at the time. Clearly Leng's interests include all music, and he supplements his knowledge with numerous interviews with Harrison's musical buddies. What's also amazing is that this book is so well written, it made me laugh out loud a few times. Just a delight from cover to cover.

Here's an example of one of his song reviews, in this case, "Simply Shady". Leng does a musical appraisal, and then places the song in the context of George's life and the times:

"Simply Shady" could have been based on a Young rocker, not only because of the slightly ragged, gruff vocals and earthy arrangement, but also because of the decidedly no-frills production. Unfortunately for George, the world was not ready for his reincarnation as Neil Young, and the song was panned...
"Simply Shady" neatly shatters the "Beatle George" image and reveals the uncomfortable truths of life. Too much drink and failed relationships are hardly uncommon experiences but, for fans readying their Sgt. Pepper costumes for the Dark Horse tour, it was all too much.
I love this book so much I plan to start a thread on it soon. It might have to wait a few weeks until my schedule loosens up, but I look forward to sharing other excerpts and discussing it with you all. Cheers!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kate

• A Thousand Pages
  • Don't take it from the top
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 07:00:02 PM »

I just started reading "The Beatles Songbook I". It's only the lyrics of the songs with some remarks at the side. I find it interesting to read the songs  ;D lots of short stories, but makes a change to the listening experience.  :)

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 07:52:45 PM »

None at the mo - Just dipping into Revolution In The Head from time to time.
Just flick through the pages and reading up on songs I'm enjoying at the moment.

Macdonald highlighted a 'bass flourish' during the song 'The Word' at approx 1:15 .. so I went and listened to one speaker ... and smiled when I heard what he was describing .... my girlfriend just shakes her head from time to time  :B
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 08:29:15 PM »

Quote from: 158
Macdonald highlighted a 'bass flourish' during the song 'The Word' at approx 1:15 .. so I went and listened to one speaker ... and smiled when I heard what he was describing ....
Indica, I'm just as bad. *high fives you*  :D

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

McLennon

• Getting Better
  • There are 7 levels!
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 11:49:10 PM »

Quote from: 551

I'm very glad to hear your opinion of Ringo's Postcards From the Boys. I hope I can pick that up sometime; it seems light and sweet. :) Thanks.

I have that book! I havn't read it yet!
There are 7 levels!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2007, 05:40:52 AM »

I've been reading through The Beatles: Recording Sessions by Mark Lewisohn recently while listening to my Beatles collection on my iPod.
I can stay till it's time to go

Mr. Kite

• A Beginning
  • What would the The Beatles be without Ringo?
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2007, 07:06:11 AM »

I just started reading "The Longest Cocktail Party"  it's about Apple and how it started and collapsed written by Richard Dilello  "The House Hippie" who was there from beginning to end.  It's good so far Derek Taylor was his boss and right know he's talking about when Apple released "Two Virgins" and the infamous cover.
[size=14][size=14]-Mr. Kite![/size][size=14]<br />'ving been some days in preparation a splendid time is guaranteed for all![/size][/size]<br />

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2007, 11:30:03 AM »

Nice LENNON picture MR. KITE. ;D

Im reading SHOUT by PHILIP NORMAN again ,the first time i read i was 18 years old when it came out !
Still a definative BEATLES book and a joy to read.  
Wallflower Has Blossomed

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2007, 08:30:21 PM »

Mark Lewisohn's Complete Chronicle ...

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2007, 08:46:27 PM »

Ive been reading LENNON LEGEND ,AN ILLISTRATED LIFE OF JOHN LENNON, and you get an exact replica of the lyrics of LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS by courtsey of d.. opps
sony/atv tunes llc
fastenating   ;)
Wallflower Has Blossomed

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2007, 02:30:30 AM »

Just flick through the pages and reading up on songs I'm enjoying at the moment.

Macdonald highlighted a 'bass flourish' during the song 'The Word' at approx 1:15 .. so I went and listened to one speaker ... and smiled when I heard what he was describing .... my girlfriend just shakes her head from time to time  :B

I take it you are as much a music nut as Me!!!!!!!!!!!! :D 8)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2007, 10:35:37 AM »

That is the beauty of that book for sure. ;). One of my faves. A must have for any music playing Beatle fan.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

silby

• One And One Is Two
    • Beatles Battle
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2007, 05:45:30 PM »

I read "The Beatles" by Bob Spitz.  (Never read a full Beatles bio before, but read many others about classic rock bands.)  

I thought it was one of the best books I've ever read.

Bobber

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2007, 07:59:41 PM »

Quote from: 621
I read "The Beatles" by Bob Spitz.  (Never read a full Beatles bio before, but read many others about classic rock bands.)  

I thought it was one of the best books I've ever read.

Hi Silby, welcome to DM's.
But I gotta correct you. The Beatles by Bob Spitz is full of wrong information. Funny thing is that critics loved the book, Beatles fans most often did not. In fact, there is a special site that is trying to sum up each and every mistake Spitz made. It's here: http://www.daytrippin.com/reviews.htm#spitz%20review

BlueMeanie

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2007, 09:30:28 PM »

Quote from: 63

Hi Silby, welcome to DM's.
But I gotta correct you. The Beatles by Bob Spitz is full of wrong information. Funny thing is that critics loved the book, Beatles fans most often did not. In fact, there is a special site that is trying to sum up each and every mistake Spitz made. It's here: http://www.daytrippin.com/reviews.htm#spitz%20review

Unfortunately, the critics are not always the experts.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2007, 10:08:55 PM »

Quote from: 483
Unfortunately, the critics are not always the experts.
You know, this explains a lot. I have been frequently disappointed by supposedly "well-regarded" books on the Beatles. But unless you read a lot of them, you don't really build up enough of a picture to know when someone is just repeating stories that they've heard, or even just making things up that don't mesh with other very good evidence we have, such as recorded events or interviews.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2007, 11:29:43 PM »

Mr.Spitz - oh dear .... Some of those errors are ridiculous!
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2007, 03:19:58 PM »

Undated version of 'Shout' by Phillip Norman. Great Read!!  
I wanna read Bob Spitz book but i've reading dodgy reviews.
(maybe will read to make my own opinion!)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2007, 05:12:17 AM »

I dont like the language Philip Norman uses in Shout. I was trying to get Bob Spitz for ages (waiting for the price to go down)... im still waiting. But at the mo im reading Cellerful of Noise

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Bobber

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2007, 08:17:58 AM »

Quote from: 596
I was trying to get Bob Spitz for ages (waiting for the price to go down)... im still waiting.

Keep waiting. It's not worth the money.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 88 queries.