Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: George Tribute Garden At Chelsea  (Read 2165 times)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
George Tribute Garden At Chelsea
« on: May 13, 2008, 04:19:29 AM »

"He thought that everyone, as a matter of course, should have themselves regularly overwhelmed by nature."   :)

George Harrison tribute garden at Chelsea Flower Show
Alex Stephens, Evening Standard

George Harrison was a regular at Chelsea Flower Show, where he could be seen touring the gardens, notebook in hand.

Now, six and a half years after his death from lung cancer, the former Beatle is to have a garden at the show in his memory.

Designed by his widow Olivia, the plot will recall Harrison's life, from his birth in Liverpool in 1943 to his post-Beatle life in Henley, through the medium of plants and trees.

In an interview with Radio Times, she tells how her husband's love of horticulture inspired her own passion for gardening.

Speaking at Friar Park, the couple's Victorian neo-Gothic home, Mrs Harrison said: "George showed me the creativity and fun that was involved.

"One day, for example, we looked out of the window and decided everything in the garden was too green, so we went on a colour binge, buying lots of brightly coloured flowers.

"In terms of landscape design, he liked the idea of Capability Brown, so we started calling him Capability George.

"He thought that everyone, as a matter of course, should have themselves regularly overwhelmed by nature. He used to say that all unused buildings should be knocked down and gardens put in their place.

"The way nature played tricks amused him, too. Once he planted lots of this pinky coloured weed on one side of the lake only for it all to spring up on the other side. 'It's jumped,' he laughed.

"Without a doubt, George never felt more at peace than when he was gardening. He loved the gardens here and always said you felt closest to God when you were in the garden. Some days when he was working in the recording studio, he'd look out of the window and say, with a shake of his head, 'We're not getting much gardening done today. ' Every time I go out there, I think he'll just pop out from behind a shrub, like he used to." The Chelsea garden, entitled, From Life To Life after a line in the Beatles' song It's All Too Much, has four distinct parts, each representing a phase in Harrison's life.

It was designed in conjunction with family friend and garden designer Yvonne Innes, a Chelsea goldmedal winner and wife of musician Neil Innes. It is sponsored by Harrison's own Material World Charitable Foundation.

His widow said: "Each year we used to go to Chelsea and George would take copious notes and come home with a list of plants he wanted to buy.

"My hope is that this project will be a tribute to the horticultural side of his personality that relatively few people know about [and] ... help inspire other gardeners."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23483994-details/George+Harrison+tribute+garden+at+Chelsea+Flower+Show/article.do

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: George Tribute Garden At Chelsea
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 04:27:29 PM »

Oh, I loved this article. I loved the way Olivia interpreted George's life: childhood, 60s, after that, and spirituality, giving that an equal place of importance. Very beautiful.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:51:51 PM »

Capability George made me smile (cool1)

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:38:24 AM »

Very nice.  What a special way to honor George. I am sure he will be looking down and will be pleased.
<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 10:11:30 PM »

George would love it! , he was a genuine gardener!  :) great tribute!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 12:35:32 AM »

That's such a sweet way to honor George. That's the George I like to read and know about. Not that I try to convince myself that he may have done some things in hist past, but that is who he truly is. I wish I could go see it.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 11:53:35 PM »

Everyone has done bad things in their lives...Luckily for most of us, we are not in the spotlight so that the whole world knows when we do stupid things!
<br />

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 01:00:36 AM »

I think George would have loved this garden (smile)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 09:13:23 AM »

There don't seem to be many pictures circulating. This was all two pages of Google turned up.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 01:30:39 PM »

Oh My! That looks so nice! I want to see it now so bad.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 02:18:52 PM »

Olivia looks so lovely!  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 07:48:52 PM »

Both of them look great! Olivia looks really well!

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 08:41:02 PM »

I used to work in Horticulture, and friends still do, so I keep in touch with the industry, but even in the trade press (which will cover anything for a free drink) there was little or no mention of this garden. I avidly watched the BBC coverage, but not much was shown or reported. Big shame.
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 74 queries.