Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 1969 article: "Psychological Characteristics of Beatle Mania"  (Read 959 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot

I came across this article today and was interested in learning about exactly what the title indicates: the psychological characteristics of Beatlemania. What I found instead was a treatise on the more technical aspects of the Beatles' music. A lot of it went right over my non-musician head. I thought the forum members, in particular the musicians here, would be interested. It's on JSTOR, but JSTOR currently is offering 100 free articles a month. All you need to do is supply an email address and create a password.

Here's the article link: https://www.jstor.org/stable/2708439?seq=1 Now that I've registered with JSTOR I've been unable to navigate back to the free-subscription page, but it should be easy to find with a quick search of the article title.

I had to laugh at the following sentences: "When the loved one is coming home, her partner insists that he will 'be good like I know I should' (It Won't Be Long). This sort of sentiment is unlikely to appeal to a hot-blooded woman."  ha2ha

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 02:31:42 AM by Normandie »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Re: 1969 article: "Psychological Characteristics of Beatle Mania"
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 05:38:50 PM »

Thanks for posting this, Normandie.  It's very interesting and very technical.  I would like to make further comments about it, but I'll save them for later.  I need to gather my thoughts in a cogent manner.

I had the impression the author believed the Beatles were singing to an ideal woman (a Goddess) in their early songs.  "An idealized woman is treated as a Goddess who does not requite love."  In essence, she was a beautiful but unobtainable woman (my words).

Again, my take:  A Goddess (or Queen) is generally unavailable for a common man.  He can only dream of coveting her as his own.  She may love him back, but it is spiritual/platonic.  The love is, therefore, unrequited.

The author seemed to suggest that there was a cultural shift from a patriarchal regime to a maternalistic one.  Hence, this was appealing to young women who wished "to be adored and even worshipped."

Well, I wish I could offer more than the above but that's all I've got for now.  There are many very interesting observations in the article.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 08:48:30 PM »

deleted

« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 08:58:34 PM by Normandie »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 09:15:53 AM »

I had the impression the author believed the Beatles were singing to an ideal woman (a Goddess) in their early songs.  "An idealized woman is treated as a Goddess who does not requite love."  In essence, she was a beautiful but unobtainable woman (my words).

I assumed they were singing to girls in the hope of getting laid.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 09:55:41 AM »

I assumed they were singing to girls in the hope of getting laid.

Of course. And, like all men, they'd never dream of bothering to lay anyone who wasn't a goddess.  ;D

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 10:07:57 AM »

Of course. And, like all men, they'd never dream of bothering to lay anyone who wasn't a goddess.  ;D

They’re all goddesses til morning  ;D

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 06:56:30 PM »

They’re all goddesses til morning  ;D

Ouch!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 07:17:51 PM by Normandie »

Page created in 0.63 seconds with 46 queries.