Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Penny Lane vs Strawberry Fields  (Read 43270 times)

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
Re: Penny Lane vs Strawberry Fields
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2009, 04:20:35 AM »

I kind of like SFF better. It's very complex and different to me, it sort of changes my perspective of things around me just a little bit.
And with Penny Lane, I think it's a pretty interesting song. And I think the fact that when the song was released, people kept stealing the 'penny lane' street sign.  ha2ha

George does not approve.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2009, 11:11:42 AM »

My vote?

*points to screen name*

I love both PL and SFF, though.

LennonStarrFan

• A Beginning
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2010, 12:21:19 AM »

Strawberry Fields

But I love both songs.

"John was the best. I loved John. He was fine singer, a fine musician and he was a fine friend." -Ringo
“He's (Ringo) every bloody bit as warm, unassuming, funny, and kind as he seems. He was quite simply the heart of the Beatles.” – John

Matildamother

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2010, 09:09:26 PM »

I love both songs also. Both have great melodies, instruments not really common in rock music and some interesting textures. "Penny Lane" has the piano being recorded through the Vox amp actually causing feedback at the end of the track and a piccolo trumpet solo. "Strawberry Fields Forever"is a dense psychedelic texture of backward cymbals, mellotron, Indian instruments, and  various strings and horns. Then it ends then it fades back in with some reverse freakout. You could call "Strawberry Fields Forever" avant-pop, psychedelic, progressive or experimental but along with "Good Vibrations" helped change the sound of pop music.

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2011, 02:06:09 PM »

I like Penny Lane more.I've never really liked Strawberry Fields too much.

Walrus

• A Beginning
  • Here come old flat top.
    • Octopus's Beatles Forum
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2011, 08:21:43 PM »

I dont get the big deal about Penny Lane, it's one of my least favorite on the album...
Strawberry Fields Forever is one of my favorites...
"There's nothing you can say, but you can learn how to play the game."

timothy

• One And One Is Two
  • Nowhere Man
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2011, 11:42:15 PM »

Strawberry Fields Forever is probably my favourite Beatles song of the lot, so you know how I feel about this. Though, John and Paul were the best at what each did/what angle they took.
1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

KelMar

« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2011, 03:02:48 AM »

I like them both equally I think, but for different reasons. I did name my first Boston Terrier Penny Lane though. :) I will remember my little buddy everytime I hear the song.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »

Strawberry Fields Forever has always been one of my top favorites -- Penny Lane, not so much. But like many have said, they are both great songs.

KelMar

« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2011, 02:41:10 AM »

Strawberry Fields Forever has always been one of my top favorites -- Penny Lane, not so much. But like many have said, they are both great songs.

Good to see you again Kathy!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »

Thanks, Kelley!  :)   

nimrod

« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2011, 12:28:37 AM »

love em both but SFF wins for me  :)

Lennon93

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2011, 08:01:28 PM »

SFF is my fav song. PL is great also.

I dled that Strawberry Lane disc 1 with all those takes and demos for SFF, and also Its not too bad ( pre SFF demo, there are some on youtube) demos :)

there are some great  videos on YT how SFF is made !

here's short one (intro)

John Lennon - Strawberry Fields Forever Begining?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:06:06 PM by Lennon93 »

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2011, 11:37:15 AM »

Since both of these songs are on Magical Mistery Tour and since i like them both, i usually try to choose which one is better. As always i can't make up my mind, so i'm asking you guys!

Penny lane is my fav. song evah. I think Strawberry fields is a bit over-rated it just seems a bit forced for a classic tune...doesn't really have that je ne se qua but saying thta it's as close to having that je ne se qua is is possible without actually having it. My fav. bit about it is the mellotrone intro. I don't like some of the lyrics either.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

nimrod

« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2011, 11:27:57 PM »

I think a lot of what I prefer about SFF is at the time of release it was like something completely magically weird and wonderful, Id never heard anything quite like it whereas PL was pretty and melodic but didnt smash any musical doors in.

It must be hard for younger Beatle fans to appreciate just how great SFF was when it was released, it had everybody talking. Listening to it now it just sounds like yer average bit of 60's psyche but back them it was just brilliant, I will never forget how great it made me feel when I first played it.

Ive always wished it had ended up on Pepper instead of one of the weaker tracks, it belongs on Pepper IMO

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2011, 01:59:02 PM »

I think a lot of what I prefer about SFF is at the time of release it was like something completely magically weird and wonderful, Id never heard anything quite like it whereas PL was pretty and melodic but didnt smash any musical doors in.

It must be hard for younger Beatle fans to appreciate just how great SFF was when it was released, it had everybody talking. Listening to it now it just sounds like yer average bit of 60's psyche but back them it was just brilliant, I will never forget how great it made me feel when I first played it.

Ive always wished it had ended up on Pepper instead of one of the weaker tracks, it belongs on Pepper IMO

I've tried to make a playlist of the Pepper era tracks to see how it & PL could have fitted on and I just can't see SFF on Pepper. Pepper's songs seem to have a glossy sheen to them that gives them a bright lively feeling while SFF just feels as though it just wouldn't fit in. I'm glad it's a stand alone song but saying that if it had have appeard on Pepper no doubt it would have seemed part of the furniture. Maybe if George only had IOANS for those sessions then there'd have been space to put them on Pepper but I love it as it is so...
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Strawberry Field

• A Beginning
  • Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2011, 11:50:20 PM »

Look at my user name.

What do you think?

Hell, it's my absolute favorite Beatles song too...

Rooftopconcert

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2011, 06:27:50 PM »

No contest here guys , I mean, NO CONTEST , this is a high scoring draw . THE best single (Double "A" side remember !!) ever released , barre none !! Perfection at 45 RPM. Paul,s lyrics paint a living breathing picture of Penny Lane that you feel you could just step off the side walk/ pavement and become apart of . His bringing the story as it were full circle with the Banker sitting waiting for a trim and the fireman rushing in from the pouring rain, connects the charactors and the whole scenario together , no loose ends, a "Groundhog Day" experience  in audio , a painting, a veritable Picasso  by means of the written word , Genius!!
Strawberry Fields , well only John could have penned this one , boyhood remenicences embroiderd and embellished with the articulations of a man caught up in a moment of self reflection and the realisation that he is indeed, at times, a walking contradiction of himself, uncertain perhaps,  indecisive even. John , my favourite ,closely followed by our Georgie !
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:40:47 PM by Rooftopconcert »
NEC Birmingham 1990     London O2 2011
NIA Birmingham 2003     Royal Abert Hall 2012
Anfield Liverpool 2008    Ringo Symphony Hall 2011 Birmingham
London O2 2009
Millenium Stadium 2010
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 80 queries.