Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: "Sympathy For The Devil" vs. "Behind Blue Eyes"  (Read 3643 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
"Sympathy For The Devil" vs. "Behind Blue Eyes"
« on: April 26, 2014, 09:21:18 PM »

That is, the bad man being proud of himself vs. the bad man who dreams of a different fate.

The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil -HQ

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: "Sympathy For The Devil" vs. "Behind Blue Eyes"
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 03:22:08 AM »

Tough choice. I'd plump for Sympathy for the Devil. Just. More for sentimental value. I recall hours working out the guitar solo as a teenager. But it's also got that great tom beat.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 03:58:06 AM »

Same here, Sympathy For The Devil.  I don't think the song is a devil-praising song as some people misinterpreted it when it was released.  It taught a good lesson about society's unfortunate evils through the ages.  Mick Jagger wrote a great song here.
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 07:59:46 AM »

not keen on either so I'll pass  ;sorry

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 08:42:51 AM »

'Sympathy For The Devil'.

Didn't Mick take the acetate to a party, wow everyone with it, only for Paul to walk in 10 minutes later with 'Hey Jude'?
Or is that a shaggy dog story!

Best seen/heard in 'One Plus One' which came free in a newspaper a few years ago. Whatever happened to free dvds in newspapers? I must have collected about 40 or so 40s/50s/60s films, including 'The Graduate', 'Darling', 'A Taste of Honey', 'Billy Liar', 'Saturday Night Sunday Morning', 'Serious Charge', 'Look Back in Anger'.....all free.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 09:10:10 AM »

Didn't Mick take the acetate to a party, wow everyone with it, only for Paul to walk in 10 minutes later with 'Hey Jude'?
Or is that a shaggy dog story!

I think the old adage, if it ain't true it oughta be,  fits perfectly here.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 09:52:21 AM »

I love Sympathy as well, but for me it has to be Behind Blue Eyes - Pete's ballads always do a number on me. That moment they switch to the electric part is why I love The Who so much.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 12:22:11 PM »

I love Sympathy as well, but for me it has to be Behind Blue Eyes - Pete's ballads always do a number on me. That moment they switch to the electric part is why I love The Who so much.

Kurt Cobain made a career from that, soft then heavy approach in the one song. Was The Who the pioneers of that do you think?

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »

Kurt Cobain made a career from that, soft then heavy approach in the one song. Was The Who the pioneers of that do you think?

Could very well be, I've never thought of that. Do you have any other Who songs in mind that follow that?

However, the most obvious influence on Cobain when it comes to the soft-heavy approach are the Pixies. Listen to 'Gigantic' from Surfer Rosa or 'Tame' from Doolittle and you'll see what I mean. From what I've read, Kurt worshipped them and used to feel bad that Nirvana achieved mainstream success whereas Pixies were still unknown to the public at large.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 12:47:43 PM »

Could very well be, I've never thought of that. Do you have any other Who songs in mind that follow that?

However, the most obvious influence on Cobain when it comes to the soft-heavy approach are the Pixies. Listen to 'Gigantic' from Surfer Rosa or 'Tame' from Doolittle and you'll see what I mean. From what I've read, Kurt worshipped them and used to feel bad that Nirvana achieved mainstream success whereas Pixies were still unknown to the public at large.

Can't think of any off the top of my head. But I'm wondering if anyone before the Who did that type of thing.  I wasn't aware of the Pixies influence on Nirvana. Will have to give those a listen .

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 10:06:51 PM »

Same here, Sympathy For The Devil.  I don't think the song is a devil-praising song as some people misinterpreted it when it was released.  It taught a good lesson about society's unfortunate evils through the ages.  Mick Jagger wrote a great song here.

I agree the song is not about devil-praising. Mick just took the position of the devil; I see the song as the expression of evil as the unavoidable contrast of good. But I still won't respect the devil beyond all the solid arguments of the song.

On the other side, "Behind Blue Eyes" could be seen as the evil man who knows his fate, but somehow doesn't accept that fate. Actually I think this song could be seen as a pre-born again theme, that is, the evil man wanting to be a good man.

But the intention of the thread was not choosing between both songs, but to mark this contrast. I've found this as an interesting thing to discuss about.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 10:09:50 PM »

Can't think of any off the top of my head. But I'm wondering if anyone before the Who did that type of thing.

Maybe "Stairway To Heaven" by Zep, but it's from the same year of "Behind Blue Eyes" - 1971. Which song was recorded first?

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 05:45:28 AM »

I prefer Sympathy for the Devil. I agree that it's not praiseful of the devil, rather it's a song that's supposed to make us see the evil qualities in everyone including ourselves.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Page created in 1.92 seconds with 67 queries.