Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]

Author Topic: Which Beatle book are you reading right now?  (Read 87916 times)

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
Re: Which Beatle book are you reading right now?
« Reply #400 on: August 05, 2012, 03:52:20 PM »

There is no author, It is like a scrap book - It was published by the NME back in 2001/2. it is a collection of all the Beatles news stories that were run in the NME between 1962 and 1970.

Nice Book where is the Writer?? party2
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Brynjar

• Getting Better
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

KelMar

« Reply #402 on: September 07, 2012, 04:01:38 AM »

Anyone familiar with this book?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1423421388/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It seemed to get good reviews on Amazon but I have to wonder since it's one of many in the "FAQ" series. Someone commented that their copy had pages from another book in it. Oops!

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #403 on: March 02, 2013, 07:09:05 AM »

Have you read The Songwriting Secrets of the "Beatles" by Dominic Pedler? Would you recommend it?
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #404 on: March 02, 2013, 07:11:03 AM »

George Harrison Solo

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #405 on: March 02, 2013, 04:59:29 PM »

Re-reading The White Book.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #406 on: June 29, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »

Just finished December 8, 1980: The Day John Lennon Died, by Keith Elliot Greenberg -- kind of an hour-by-hour accounting of the events of that single day (e.g., John's schedule). It was good, sort of like A Night to Remember about the Titanic. An easy read, too.

Just about to start his sister Julia's The Private John Lennon.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #407 on: April 06, 2022, 01:13:31 AM »

Please bear in mind that it is HER point of view of course.  :P  There are some notable and disturbing errors in the book tho and that is a pity. John wrote All My Loving especially for Cynthia? I don't think so.

She also claims, or strongly suggests, that John wrote "She Loves You" for her. I was never sure what to make of that claim. She bases it on a note he sent her while they were dating in art school.

I stumbled across this thread as I was searching for input on Ray Coleman's Lennon: The Definitive Biography, which I just ordered from Amazon despite the fact that I have stacks of other Beatles books, and ocean liner books, to get through.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #408 on: April 09, 2022, 12:40:32 AM »

Today, I finished reading George Harrison:  Behind the Locked Door.

It's a long book and challenging for a slow reader like me but I got through it in less than a week.  I just couldn't stop reading it.  In fact, I wish it hadn't ended.  I'm not sure of why it engrossed me so deeply.

I got the idea that George was a very ordinary person, but also very lucky for being in a band with John and Paul.  It's like reading about someone who won a lottery, perhaps the biggest lottery on an entire planet.  But clearly, he was riding their coattails as was Ringo.  Yes, he was talented, too, but his hit parade of songs was small.  Despite that, his legend looms large forever for having been a Beatle.

I liked reading about the Concert for Bangladesh as well as for perspectives on his solo albums.  I want to read this book again (but more slowly next time so that I can enjoy it more).  There really is an awful lot of information in it.  I also like the historical perspective which ran throughout because it shows how the past influenced his future with regard to the songs he ultimately composed and produced.

I wish there had been more re: his final meeting with Paul McCartney.  I guess they spent a few hours together laughing, weeping, and holding hands.  I found this to be very moving.

Rest in peace, George.  Hare Kṛṣṇa.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 12:44:53 AM by Loco Mo »
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #409 on: April 25, 2022, 10:41:09 AM »

I’m reading All We Are Saying The Last Major Interview with John Lennon & Yoko Ono by David Sheff.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 61 queries.