Other music forums > Microscopes

Microscope: Out Of Our Heads (The Rolling Stones)

(1/4) > >>

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:
I think it's time to review some Stones albums. I'll start with the American version of Out Of Our Heads, which was their first #1 LP in US, released in July 1965. Here the blues roots of the Stones are still evident; and while the album includes several covers, the band was starting to contribute quality songs that came out of their heads...

Mercy, Mercy. The opening track of the album is a cover of this rhythm & blues song. The performance is quite pedestrian, but the repetitive guitar notes and Mick Jagger's enthusiastic vocal drive the song.

Hitch Hike. Another rhythm & blues cover. As an interesting note, the guitar riff was later used by the Velvet Underground in their song "There She Goes Again". There's not much more to say about this track, except that it includes a nice guitar solo in the middle.

The Last Time. Probably the first truly important song written by the band. It still sounds like a primitive tune, but its infectious guitar riff and little hooks keep the listener entertained. I like the instrumental middle. The coda reminds me a bit to "Ticket To Ride", as it's like a different tune in the same song. Actually this single was released in February 1965, briefly before the Beatles song.

That's How Strong My Love Is. A soul cover. I like Mick's vocal here, but the song is quite boring to me.

Good Times. My favorite cover in the album. It has a "feel good" spirit.

I'm All Right. A live track. Neither the song nor the performance are outstanding.

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction. The main reason to get this album, in terms of quality or just historical relevance. From the famous sharpened riff to the endless hooks, the song is a gem that deserves its high status. The lyrics were also an important advance, a social critique manifest.

Cry To Me. Yet another slow cover. Again, I like Mick's vocal but the song tends to make me sleep.

The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man. A nice joke tune. An ironic critique of the rock & roll music business. The rustic harmonica is a good condiment.

Play With Fire. A really high point of the album. Everything contributes to the mystic ambient of the song: acoustic guitar, harpsichord, tambourine and especially Mick's heartrending vocal. An early example of baroque pop.

The Spider And The Fly. A funny tune with a funny story. I like the sound of the lead guitar and harmonica. Pretty good song.

One More Try. A jumpy filler that was recorded only for the American market. It's not that bad though.

In conclusion, this album is important if just for the inclusion of "The Last Time", "Satisfaction" and "Play With Fire". The Stones still kept some identity here; later they would convert into fervent Beatles imitators.

oldbrownshoe:
Mercifully we can get both versions in the UK, unlike the first two British LPs.

The bottom line is that OOOH (UK) and OOOH (US) are two completely different albums.
None of the three songs you mention (all terrific) were on the UK version as they'd already been released on 45.

Got me thinking about Brian Wilson's obsession with 'Rubber Soul' around the time of him trying to emulate it with 'Pet Sounds'.....the 'Rubber Soul' owned by Brian would, presumably, have been the U.S. one and not the UK one.

I've never heard the U.S. one but, with that track listing, it is absolutely brilliant (obviously).

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:

--- Quote from: oldbrownshoe on August 22, 2015, 06:39:05 PM ---
None of the three songs you mention (all terrific) were on the UK version as they'd already been released on 45.

--- End quote ---

Yes, that's why the absence of a Past Masters-like compilation in the Stones catalog makes me prefer the US versions of their albums, as they include essential songs that can't be found in the UK versions.

Ovi:

--- Quote from: Hombre_de_ningun_lugar on August 22, 2015, 07:12:51 PM ---Yes, that's why the absence of a Past Masters-like compilation in the Stones catalog makes me prefer the US versions of their albums, as they include essential songs that can't be found in the UK versions.

--- End quote ---

Actually...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singles_Collection:_The_London_Years

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:

--- Quote from: Ovi on August 23, 2015, 10:21:15 AM ---Actually...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singles_Collection:_The_London_Years

--- End quote ---

The problem is that a lot of that material is repeated in the original LPs (either from UK or US), so that's not exactly a Past Masters-like compilation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version