Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28

Author Topic: Who should become the next US president?  (Read 63553 times)

Bobber

Re: Who should become the next US president?
« Reply #500 on: November 05, 2008, 09:47:41 AM »

I hope Obama can stand up to the high expectations. He has to deal with the legacy of George W Bush and that is not a very good start I guess. Good luck to him.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #501 on: November 05, 2008, 11:50:26 AM »

now can we start to heal????

Bobber

« Reply #502 on: November 05, 2008, 11:58:24 AM »

Quote from: 284
now can we start to heal????

Please start with yourself!  ;D

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #503 on: November 05, 2008, 01:27:28 PM »

Optimism.....Just a nice feeling of optimism.....I love the smell of optimism in the morning! heheheh
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #504 on: November 05, 2008, 01:49:14 PM »

i just hope he doesnt do a carter.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #505 on: November 05, 2008, 02:16:39 PM »

Can someone explain the popular vote ?
52% Obama and 46% McCain , i saw on the news here in the uk , that seems like almost half of America is not convinced by Obama and only a few % of the American population moved his way .
Will this be a problem for Obama in the future ?

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #506 on: November 05, 2008, 02:22:40 PM »

Well, I admit, I voted for Obama and my husband voted for McCain.  Why?  I don't know.  I wasn't even going to vote.  But I had a change of mind.  This country needs someone "young", like around my age, mid-40's, to even late 40's/early 50's, not some old "grandpa" in his 70's about ready to "kick the bucket".
I hope Obama can make a change in this country.  But remember, it won't come overnight.  It's gonna take a few years to straighen this country out after 8 years of idiotic "Bushy-tail" rule............

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #507 on: November 05, 2008, 02:44:27 PM »

Quote from: 971
52% Obama and 46% McCain , i saw on the news here in the uk , that seems like almost half of America is not convinced by Obama and only a few % of the American population moved his way .

Bush actually lost the popular vote when he won the 2000 elections... He got just 47.87% of all votes...

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #508 on: November 05, 2008, 02:54:45 PM »

Clinton got just 43% of all votes in 1992 and 49.24% in 1996... Bush got 47.9% in 2000 and 50.7% in 2004... So 52% is pretty darn good.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #509 on: November 05, 2008, 03:19:06 PM »

Obama did very well in cities, and McCain very well in the non-urban areas. The reason Obama won is that he picked off enough of these latter voters to push him over the top in each state. Nevertheless, when you look at the county maps, it's generally rare to see a blue "Obama" county far from a big city outside of Caifornia and the Northeast.

We're still a divided nation, but last night was a huge and necessary first step towards repairing that.

I loved the line from his speech last night, where, after pointing out that the USA is currently much less divided than during the civil war in the 1860s, he quoted Lincoln:

"We are not enemies, but friends - though our passions may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection"

And then the reaching out towards those who voted against him: "... And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn, I may not have won your vote tonight, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your president too".

Optimism has replaced fear and hate, it is a beautiful thing.

Here's his speech in total: http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/results/president/speeches/obama-victory-speech.html#

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #510 on: November 05, 2008, 04:15:17 PM »

(Caution - boring civics lesson to follow...)

Here's an example of how the voting goes in individual states, and also of the typical CITY vs COUNTRYSIDE divide in this country. It's a random example, in the state of Indiana which at 11AM NY time today was just called for Obama.

If you click on this link, http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/results/president/map.html ,  and then click on the state of Indiana (it's a blue state (the Democrat color) along the top of the country, about 1/3 over from the far right, abbreviation "Ind." for those who aren't as familiar with the map), you'll see that Obama only won 15 out of what looks like 150 or 200 counties. The rest of the counties are red, red, and red (Red is the Republican color)! But, these blue counties are the ones with the large population centers (cities), and since states are winner takes all, all of Indiana's electoral votes go to the blue candidate, Obama.

Digging deeper, if you click on a red county, you can see that even though they are red, some are quite close - 49.9% to 49.1%, etc. So, even if Obama didn't get a majority of a red county, he got some   votes there that contributed to his overall statewide vote and victory.

Besides apparently having good ideas and a good character, he was a great campaigner!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #511 on: November 05, 2008, 04:36:51 PM »

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #512 on: November 05, 2008, 04:44:41 PM »

Thanks for that lesson alexis , very informative (smile)
So middle America which is the Bible belt stayed pretty much Red ? but Obama did pick some votes up their , have i got that right ?
I wish him luck , i think he's going to need a bit of that , mind you i thought he was very realistic in his speech , kinda told it as it is "Brick By Brick " i liked that .

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #513 on: November 05, 2008, 07:21:24 PM »

Congratulations to all those who voted for Obama!

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #514 on: November 05, 2008, 07:30:25 PM »

Quote from: 1393
Congratulations to all those who voted for Obama!

And all those who didn't!

Hari, are you still out there? Please tell us what it was like on election day. Were you there shuttling people to the polls? CONGRATS on your successful work in converting Colorado from red to blue!

[edited for blue<-->red typo - thanks Jane!]
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #515 on: November 05, 2008, 07:34:08 PM »

Thanks for that lesson alexis , very informative (smile)
So middle America which is the Bible belt stayed pretty much Red ? but Obama did pick some votes up their , have i got that right ?
I wish him luck , i think he's going to need a bit of that , mind you i thought he was very realistic in his speech , kinda told it as it is "Brick By Brick " i liked that .

You got it just right, DaveRam!

There's a cool graphic currently on the front page of this http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/11/05/us/politics/20081104_ELECTION_RECAP.html that shows exactly what you are talking about - how much of a shift in the blue or (occasionally) red direction that each county in the nation had, irrespective of what the actual majority in that county turned out to be. It's incredibly interesting!

Sometimes these things get pushed to back pages, if it is gone by the time you look for it, let me know, and I'll try to find the updated url for you.

Take care!

[Edit: Updated link]
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #516 on: November 05, 2008, 07:57:16 PM »

Quote from: 568

And all those who didn't!

Hari, are you still out there? Please tell us what it was like on election day. Were you there shuttling people to the polls? CONGRATS on your successful work in converting Colorado from blue to red!

Alexis, please, RED is Republican and BlUE is Democratic, isn`t it? Do you mean Colorado turned Republican? Sorry, I don`t understand!

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #517 on: November 05, 2008, 09:49:30 PM »

Woohoo! Go Obama!!!! Funny thing in the news paper today , Obama's victory and other USA election related things are on the front page all in big and then squeezed on the side an article called "That other Election..." (refering to the NZ election, which will take place on saturday)  ;D

Congrats Obama and good luck to him!  :)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #518 on: November 05, 2008, 10:03:09 PM »

Quote from: 1393

Alexis, please, RED is Republican and BlUE is Democratic, isn`t it? Do you mean Colorado turned Republican? Sorry, I don`t understand!

Yes, that is correct Jane! Colorado went from Red (Republican) to Blue (Democrat), in part because of hard work by people like Harihead.

Sorry for the typo in the earlier post (edited/fixed)!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #519 on: November 05, 2008, 11:06:03 PM »

yay Obama!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28

Page created in 0.774 seconds with 89 queries.