Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trying to understand edits  (Read 1656 times)

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
Trying to understand edits
« on: May 19, 2013, 01:54:54 AM »

I've been re-listening to some tracks that I haven't heard in a while and I noticed some things that I'm trying to explain to myself. At rather obvious moments the drums will sound low then all of a sudden get loud.  I know that this is done by merging two tracks together but how is that achieved in detail? I do some amateur recordings of my pieces and have attempted to fuse two tracks together to avoid the tedious process of re-recording but it doesn't sound like that. If I merge them, I can tell if the recording volumes get changed or I get closer to the microphone because the next track will overall sound louder/softer (I know how this can be fixed).  But in the Beatles' case, all the other instruments sound at their normal levels at this juncture while the drums get louder. Anyone able to explain this?

In the song "I'm a Loser" during the guitar outro you can hear the ride cymbal all of a sudden cut out then cut in but the other instrument sound unaffected? I know there are tons of other tracks that you can hear track merging disparities but I wonder why it's the drums that you notice and no the instruments.  Other examples include drums sound softer then all of the sudden louder. 
Thanks!

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
Re: Trying to understand edits
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »

Overdubs...A lot of the time, the ride would be overdubbed on top separately as one example. They would also choose a take sometimes from the best 2 or 3 takes out of 50+ attempts. Splicing the tape to get more music ontop the 4 or 8 track limitations.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 39 queries.