Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Please Please Me rare third pressing (extra 33 1/3) stamper advice  (Read 3743 times)

SarahM

• One And One Is Two

Hi, I'm hoping there's an expert out there that can give me some advice. I have a UK third pressing of Please Please Me (the one with the extra 33 1/3 on the label) in stereo and I'm trying to work out how rare it might be. I know that the extra 33 1/3 on this pressing together with the fact that it is a stereo version mean that it's fairly sought after but I'm struggling to understand the stamper numbers - they are 1-G and 1-P.

Has anyone come across a version like this before?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
Re: Please Please Me rare third pressing (extra 33 1/3) stamper advice
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:21:52 AM »

There was also a mono label that had the extra 33 1/3 on it.  Bruce Spizer mentions both on page 138 of "Beatles For Sale on Parlophone Records". There is an image of the stereo label on page 142.

I don't see any mention of the stamper numbers 1-G and 1-P in the text or on the image.  The label in question is referred to as "PAR 3042.SR3A".

Not sure if any of that helps.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

SarahM

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »

thanks ibanez_ax, I will try and get hold of that book. It's really the stereo version that I am hoping to get some more information about so I'll keep looking. Thanks again!

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 10:08:17 AM »

Okay, good luck!
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 11:09:59 AM »

I think all versions with the extra "33 1/3" are rare because it was a mistake on the label that was quickly removed - it had been part of the label design on the old Gold and Black LPs, but the new yellow+black label design already had a much larger "33 1/3" logo above the Parlophone wording, so the extra small "33 1/3" was not needed.
And stereo versions of the early albums are rarer than the mono ones anyway.

The 1G and 1P stamper numbers mean it is an early pressing, but I think those early stereo PPM albums were pressed in small numbers so you would expect the stamper numbers to be low anyway.

Does it have the front cover with the Angus McBean credit over to the far right, or is there a gap after McBean and the edge of the sleeve? Probably wouldn't make much difference to the value - I'm just curious if they were still using the original batch of covers or had moved to the newer pressing with the credit moved over to the left a bit.

And what sort of condition is it in? The condition is obviously very important for vinyl collectors.

I don't have a stereo copy of PPM myself, so well done for even having one, never mind having a one that is rarer than your average copy!!   :)

SarahM

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 08:51:15 PM »

Peter, thanks for your post. The Angus McBean is in the far right bottom corner. We had it graded at the weekend and the guy said it was in good condition, there are a few minor marks on the vinyl but the play quality isn't really affected. The sleeve is a bit worn but is in good condition too.

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 46 queries.