Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Beatles: 3 musical geniuses plus a drummer?  (Read 14602 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
The Beatles: 3 musical geniuses plus a drummer?
« on: May 27, 2004, 01:31:42 AM »

Just wondering what you guys think.

Re: The Beatles: 3 musical geniuses plus a drummer?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 01:37:15 AM »

No.

Two songwriting geniuses.  Four very good musicians who, when together and only together, became magically genius musicians.

With a dollop of help from their producer.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 02:55:13 AM »

If this is the question, then why didnt they just keep Pete?

Wayne L.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 05:11:05 PM »

The Beatles had two music geniuses with a great guitarist & a great drummer. 

perowave7

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 08:53:03 PM »

No, George was a musicial genius, just Lennon and McCartney were better.  Ringo was too, thats how he got into the Beatles (they wanted him because they thought he was the best drummer in the world).

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 10:33:51 PM »

I don't believe George OR Ringo were musical geniuses, strictly speaking.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 01:31:31 AM »

reguardless of what you think it was and could have only been those 4 in that role.

Rocky Raccoon

• A Beginning
  • Help with good Rocky's revival!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 01:57:08 AM »

What is up with you guys? Why is Ringo so underrated? He is a very good drummer, he did had musical talent. Didn't he had to create all the stuff he played in the drums?

PS: George wrote better than Lennon and McCartney. If I had to order the songs from the best to the worst, all the harrison's will appear before the Lennon/McCartney's. Lennon and McCartney just wouldn't let him be.
In the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 02:07:49 AM »

Ringo WAS an excellent drummer, yes, and a big [part of the Beatle magic and personality.

BeatleMania2004

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 09:39:15 AM »

That really depends, we all have a different definition of what a genius is. I personally think that the four of them together made up a genius combination of talent.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 01:33:19 PM »

I personally think that George, even though not as productive, was just as brilliant as John and Paul. I think that without any of the three of them, the Beatles wouldn't have been the band that they were.

On the other hand I think that, even though he was a really good drummer and a loveable character, Ringo was replacable, especially after they stopped playing live. I think that with Pete Best or any other decent drummer the Beatles would've been just as big.

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2004, 04:11:52 PM »

Ringo was not replaceable.

John@work

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2004, 04:57:03 PM »

They were all great.  Each one was an explosive element compounded into one magical band.  In my honest opinion. 
A working class hero is something to be...

John Lennon

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2004, 07:23:32 PM »

They've even said it themselves about the combination of all 4 being the thing that made it work. They didn't hit it big untill Ringo joined. And none of them was as brilliant as a solo artist. They did ok, but it wasn't as profound as anything they did as Beatles. But Ringo a genius? That's a big stretch.

LonelyPeople

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2004, 07:06:54 PM »

If you look at what they did on their own...wouldn't John Lennon be considered the genius of the group?

If you were to break the group down I would do it like this

Paul - a genius..but an a**hole b/c he knows that he's a genius
John - a genius and the coolest member
George - great guitarist and a great song writer but not the song writing machine that Paul and John are
Ringo - an underrated oddball who was probably capable of alot but got lost in all that talent.

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2004, 07:28:08 PM »

[quote by=LonelyPeople link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1085621502,s=14 date=1086030414]If you look at what they did on their own...wouldn't John Lennon be considered the genius of the group?

If you were to break the group down I would do it like this

***Ridiculous comment. 

John - a genius and the coolest member

***JOHN was the one who proclaimed -himself- a genius.  Does that make HIM an a**hole?

George - great guitarist and a great song writer but not the song writing machine that Paul and John are

***Correct

Ringo - an underrated oddball who was probably capable of alot but got lost in all that talent.

***Again, correct.
[/quote]

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2004, 07:33:43 PM »

[quote by=Maccalvr link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1085621502,s=13 date=1085772212]They've even said it themselves about the combination of all 4 being the thing that made it work.[/quote]

Of course they said that. Image that any of them would've said "We could've made it work without Ringo"... Of course they didn't say that...

[quote by=LonelyPeople link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1085621502,s=13 date=1085772212]
John - a genius and the coolest member[/quote]

Have you ever read that long Rolling Stone interview with John Lennon? John also knew very, very well that he was a genius. He could also be pretty arrogant about it... And what do you expect of Paul? "Yeah, I wrote dozens and dozens of million selling hits, but I don't find myself that good a songwriter"... Some people just don't have to be humble because there's no reason for it.

[quote by=mister charlie link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1085621502,s=13 date=1085772212]
Pete Best (or anyone else for that matter) could NEVER have come up with the drum fills Ringo used in A Day In The Life.[/quote]

You can't be sure about that... Being the drummer for the Beatles meant that your full time job was to constantly jam with three of the biggest geniuses in pop music history... I think that after a while you almost "automatically" start doing brilliant things as well. Maybe Pete Best or someone else would've came up with some really brilliant stuff as well.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2004, 11:24:14 PM »

[quote by=Biscuit_Power link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1085621502,s=16 date=1086032023]

You can't be sure about that... Being the drummer for the Beatles meant that your full time job was to constantly jam with three of the biggest geniuses in pop music history... I think that after a while you almost "automatically" start doing brilliant things as well. Maybe Pete Best or someone else would've came up with some really brilliant stuff as well.[/quote]

I'm not saying what Pete would have or wouldnt have become, but some drummers (no matter how long they play) just dont progress. Peter Criss anybody?

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2004, 06:18:55 AM »

>>>You can't be sure about that... Being the drummer for the Beatles meant that your full time job was to constantly jam with three of the biggest geniuses in pop music history... I think that after a while you almost "automatically" start doing brilliant things as well. Maybe Pete Best or someone else would've came up with some really brilliant stuff as well.<<<

Yes I can.  While your point about playing with three other heavyweights is a valid one, as John said Ringo was already a star before the Beatles, and he didn't need them as he was already successful.  Of course you can pooh-pooh that as well, saying he had to say that, but John rarely said anything because he HAD to.

As a drummer I can tell you that after learning the rudiments every drummer develops their own style.  I've heard Pete Best's.  Good live work.  I've heard Ringo's.  On A Day In The Life his drumming is as lyrical as the song.  That's not just knowledge, that's not just style, that's art. 

SOmeone else would undoubtedly played it differently, and someone else *might* have even done something very good.  But it wouldn't have been the same.  Hence, not as good.

LonelyPeople

• A Beginning
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2004, 03:04:44 PM »

i think the general idea is that it doesn't really matter who's a genius and who's not...b/c if you were missing one piece you wouldn't have the Beatles.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 80 queries.