Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Lost TOTP appearance emerges  (Read 5906 times)

Bobber

Lost TOTP appearance emerges
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:54:29 AM »

From Wogblog

Lost TOTP appearance emerges!
Film of The Beatles' first ever "Top Of The Pops" appearance has been uploaded to YouTube. Taped 19 March 1964 for insertion into the 25 March edition, pieces of "Can't Buy Me Love" and (at the very end) "You Can't Do That" are on the film. However, this is not the original film, or a video tape from the BBC. This is home film footage that someone has made by pointing their silent 8mm movie camera at the TV screen.

! No longer available

Still, this is all we have from this performance, so it's of historical significance. The Beatles were filmed at Shepherd's Bush Empire in London, then called BBC's Television Theatre. They were filmed using film stock, not video - and it appears the film is projected on to a big canvas behind the live dancers on the show, six days later when the programme aired. Who would have thought we would actually see this?
A big thank you goes to John C. Winn for identifying the footage and to Rob for dubbing it with sound.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Lost TOTP appearance emerges
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 12:22:46 PM »

Wow

Thanks for posting that Cor, I wouldve been 11 when I watched that, TOTP's was a must watch every week, I never missed it.

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Re: Lost TOTP appearance emerges
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 04:08:01 PM »

Can't remember which one, it might have been 'Ticket To Ride', but one of their TOTP appearances (about 20 seconds of it) only exists in the background of a 'Dr. Who' episode.

Ironic when you consider that many 'Dr. Who' episodes were also wiped by the BBC!
What were they thinking of?

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 36 queries.