Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Re: The Debate is ON!!!!  (Read 9671 times)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: The Debate is ON!!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 03:50:18 PM »

^ I would suggest that Joe Biden not engage Sarah Palin in any meaningful way, because almost anything he says to her can potentially be labeled sexist or patronizing by the Republicans. Hillary Clinton discovered this during the primaries and used it to good effect against Obama. Ignore her and play the experienced statesman instead. Viewers- and commentators- will draw their own conclusions.

One thing about Palin, though: expectations for her are now so low that she can "win" simply by being a moderately coherent human being. I didn't believe the hyperbolic nonsense that was said about her a month or so ago, and I don't believe she's the blithering idiot she's been made out to be in the past week or so, either. That's another reason Biden should think mostly about presenting himself well.  :)

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 06:00:57 PM »

^^^But Palin "still" strikes me as a "ditz".  From what I've seen and heard from her, she "skirts" around the questions.  "Beauty Pagent Mentality"?????

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 10:05:58 PM »

Slightly a bit off topic, but Pallin triggered something
We had a huge article , on the front page of the "World" section in the papers, about how Sarah Palin kills mooses and that now she is more admired (by the journalists of the article) because to hunt moose down you need character and strength and not everyone can do it and it also describes how the journalist went moose hunting...  :-/ and on the side of that huge article there is a strip about the USA economy bailout crisis.... NZ need to sort out its priorities...!  :-/

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 12:19:39 AM »

^^^^^Ok, Honey.  I'm gonna watch the debate tomorrow night and post my thoughts.  And yep, it does take "strength and courage" to hunt a moose..........also a deer.  Me and the hubby both deer hunt, and it's an "art" to try and "outsmart" the buck............

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 05:12:33 AM »

Quote from: 596
Slightly a bit off topic, but Pallin triggered something
We had a huge article , on the front page of the "World" section in the papers, about how Sarah Palin kills mooses and that now she is more admired (by the journalists of the article) because to hunt moose down you need character and strength and not everyone can do it and it also describes how the journalist went moose hunting

Something like this?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article4855262.ece

Highlight:

Moose stew a la Palin

Ingredients

2lb moose, cubed

3 slices bacon, cut up

4 onions, quartered

4 potatoes, quartered

1 packet fresh or frozen green beans

3 bay leaves

4 carrots, sliced

1 packet fresh or frozen peas

1 tin tomato juice

Method

Brown bacon in heavy pan. Add moose and brown on all sides. Add onions and saute. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour or until flavours are mixed and vegetables and meat are tender. Remove bay leaves.

Footnote:

"Connoisseurs say that boiled moose nose, roughly the size of a football on a larger bull, is a particular delicacy. "

(bigeyes1)

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »

You got to soak and soak game meat to take out the "gamey" taste.  I have to work with my deer venison three days prior to cooking.  I want it to look like a fresh cut of pork chops, and it does when I finished............and tastes wonderful.
Now............I'm watching the "VeePee" debate tonight.  Ought to be very interesting....

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 09:44:46 PM »

Moose stew a la Palin, Geoff? excuse me while I... (barf4)

Politics eh?

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »

Quote from: 596
Moose stew a la Palin, Geoff? excuse me while I... (barf4)

Politics eh?

^^^^^^Exactly Honey..........."moose stew"..........ewwww.........

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 12:32:07 AM »

Watching "Survivor" now.............getting ready for the debates at 8 CST............

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 01:50:08 AM »

OMG, she pronounces it "nukewlar". (barf4)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 02:38:40 AM »

I watch Fox news now and then. I'm waiting for the day that they roll over and give up, then I know the race is truly over.

... So far, in the initial post-debate comment, the talking head pointed out that Palin kept changing the subject. No red meat slashing of the Democrats. So far so good.

... One of them actually said ... "she did well if only comparing to where the bar was set". And this is on Fox news!

... They are now saying "no change of the game here". They said "Palin really probably helped charge up the Republican base". To me, that is excellent ... if they need to beef up their base, they are going to lose the independents, who are really the only ones that matter at this point of the race.

:) :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 02:52:20 AM »

From the daily kos, which for those that don't know is a blatantly liberal blog:

**********************************************************************************
Sarah Palin won! Actually, she survived, since she had no "deer in headlight" moments. Of course, it's easy to do that when you say, straight up, that you won't answer any questions you don't like. And in true to her word, she tossed aside any question that might prove problematic (like Biden's questions on McCain's support for deregulation) to discuss whatever talking points she had memorized.

And really, Palin was like one of those dolls where you pull the string, and some pre-recorded message comes out. Pull string, "They hate our freedoms!" Pull string, "Obama will raise taxes!" Pull string, "Drill, baby, drill!" It was tiresome and, frankly, a little boring.

Joe Biden obviously knows his sh*t. That was never in doubt, and nothing Biden did changes that perception. In fact, he even had a little of fun showmanship to spice up his answers, like his mocking of McCain's refusal to meet with Spain. And his takedown of McCain's "maverick" status was simply sublime.

So who won? Who cares. Nothing happened to change the dynamics of this race. Palin proved that she's still unable to answer the questions posed to her, but she also didn't fall flat on her face. And in the ridiculously depressed expectations for the governor of Alaska, she didn't crash and burn. But she didn't need to maintain the status quo. That's toxic territory for her. She needed to prove that she could get beyond pre-packaged talking points to demonstrating some capacity for analytical thought. In that regard, she failed.

On the merits, Biden won easy. On the things that debates are scored on, it was a draw. And for us Democrats, that's the same as victory.

And one more note -- Gwen Ifil was excellent. Like Lehrer, I forgot she was on stage, and that's the way moderators should be
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 12:56:56 PM »

^^^^^^^Interesting..............I really don't know what to think about last night's debate.  I don't think neither one won.  But you got to admit.............Palin gives "good face"................

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 05:27:37 PM »

What worries me is that if McCain is elected president, will he be able to serve his 4 years in good health.  I don't think at all that Sarah Palin could handle running this country.....just a thought.........

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2008, 08:07:15 PM »

Quote from: 1255
What worries me is that if McCain is elected president, will he be able to serve his 4 years in good health.  I don't think at all that Sarah Palin could handle running this country.....just a thought.........

Apparently, actuarial data suggest that he has a 1 in 6 or 7 chance of dying in office. Roughly same as your birthday falling on a Wednesday, so to speak.

Snow Job Square Glasses - she's our gal,
if she can't do it, betcha (gosh darn!) no one will!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 08:10:09 PM »

^^^^^^Hee, hee, hee..............

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2008, 01:14:14 AM »

Hey!!!  Where's Geoff???  I'd thought for sure he'd be on here and giving us his insight on everything.  Geoff, you alright???

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2008, 02:50:09 AM »

You got to soak and soak game meat to take out the "gamey" taste.

I just have to ask... how does "gamey" taste?   (thinker)

(teeth1)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 03:25:26 AM »

Hey!!!  Where's Geoff???  I'd thought for sure he'd be on here and giving us his insight on everything.  Geoff, you alright???

I thought that Palin helped herself by taking her own competence off the table as an issue, but that Biden helped his ticket by attacking McCain as directly and as often as he could. If I can get away with a hoary old football analogy, you could say that Palin got back to the original line of scrimmage after a couple of bad downs, but that Biden got his team down field a few yards. The debate format helped Palin, too: there were no follow up questions, so Palin just rattled off her talking points and never had to engage in a real conversation where she might have been obliged to think on her feet (Katie Couric floored her simply by pressing her on what she read). Overall, I thought that Biden showed he's a smart, sensible guy who deserves to be there, and that Palin showed she's a lightweight who relies on cloying charm ("doggone," "darn it," and wink, wink) and careful preparation.

But the debate's only a one day story: today's big political news is that the McCain campaign pulled out of Michigan and reallocated those resources to Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and- get this- Indiana. They're in a lot of trouble right now.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2008, 12:30:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 74 queries.