Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What was Ringo's best drumming  (Read 42379 times)

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
Re: What was Ringo's best drumming
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »

On some of Ringo's fills, it almost like they are backwards of what you would expect to hear.

Listening to some out takes now, specifically "Don't Bother Me".
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2012, 10:37:49 PM »

On some of Ringo's fills, it almost like they are backwards of what you would expect to hear.

Ringo made a few mistakes in cadence in the early tales of Don't Bother Me.  This is from The Beatles Music History website:   http://www.beatlesebooks.com/bother-me

September 11th, 1963, was the first Beatles recording session to feature a George Harrison composition.  Notwithstanding, it was the final of five songs attempted for the day, which was the third recording session for their second British album.  Recording of this song began during the evening session, which ran from 7:00 until 10:15 pm.  The Lennon penned “Not A Second Time” was begun and completed during this session, which pushed the start of “Don’t Bother Me” to approximately 9:00 pm.

Three overdubs (most likely lead vocals) were recorded on top of (presumably) the fourth take before it was determined that this rendition of the song was not satisfactory.  The song had more of a straightforward beat style at this stage and had not been thoroughly rehearsed by the group.  A new song structure was called for, so the song was temporarily shelved.

The next day, September 12th, 1963, the Beatles resumed work on the song, once again during that days’ evening session.  This longer-than-usual session, from 7:00 to 11:30 pm, started out with a brand new attempt at the song.  Starting from scratch at a round number of ‘take 10,’ this attempt included all of the basic elements of the song, including lead vocals and guitar solo.  While it’s somewhat slower than the finished product as we know it, it was a near perfect rendition.  The only flaws were George’s occasional off key vocal and Ringo’s accent flub at the very end, which prompted George to sarcastically sing “oh yeah, rock and roll now” as an indication that this take couldn’t be used.

The group then decided to incorporate a ‘Beatles break’ just before George begins singing the first verse.  With this in mind, ‘take 11’ broke down just into the first verse.  ‘Take 12’ got a little further, although Ringo kept putting the ‘breaks’ in the wrong places, resulting in George stopping the song saying “no, no, no.”  However, ‘Take 13,’ which comprised some strategic edits, was deemed best.  The most noticeable edit is just before the first bridge where Ringo’s drums cut out during the words “I know I’ll.”

Starting from ‘take 14,’ an extensive overdub was being attempted, which comprised George double-tracking his lead vocal, Paul playing claves, John playing tambourine and Ringo playing an Arabian bongo, all of which were found when they raided the EMI closet.  The second attempt of the overdubs (take 15) was considered the best in the end, although they continued overdubbing through till take 19, although none of those were used.  The song was deemed complete by approximately 8:30 pm.

The Beatles - Don't Bother Me (Take 10)

Don't Bother Me (takes 11 - 13) / The Beatles

I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2012, 12:42:05 AM »

Cool stuff Barry. Ringo was all over the place on Take 10 as was George.I didnt listen to the other takes, but i'm surprised they were so far off. Sometimes its hard for me to remember that they werent professional musicians. Makes me give even more credit to the guys in the booth.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2012, 02:19:37 AM »

Todd, double-tracking George's lead vocal and adding Paul playing claves, John playing tambourine and Ringo playing an Arabian bongo yielded one of my favorite George Harrison songs...

The Beatles - Don't Bother Me (2009 Stereo Remaster)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2012, 02:25:35 AM »

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2012, 02:12:39 AM »

I think any of his Abby road drumming is his best but... he certaintly plays lead drums on A Day in the Life! I like that one.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2012, 05:10:11 PM »

For me, it will always be "Long Tall Sally", which IMHO, explains the reason he was asked to join the band. Strong backbeat which drove the band. Remember, the Fabs were still basically a cover band, still in a "dance band" mode, just barely into the concert scene. They had been playing for dancers, not listeners.

Paul's grandfather: "... and where would they be without the steady support of your drum beat, that’s what I’d like to know."

All of Ringo's great work in the years that followed was just icing on the cake.

"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2012, 03:11:19 PM »

I´ve always liked his drumming on In My Life. Something about it that has always fascinated me.
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2012, 03:22:40 AM »

I´ve always liked his drumming on In My Life. Something about it that has always fascinated me.

I've always dug it too. Not so much the little snare/hat pattern, but more for the few times he does the one handed fill on the snare and the ride at the same time. I've struggled with that trying to keep it clean sometimes.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2012, 05:36:42 PM »

I don't really know anything about drumming, but I love what he does in Rain. Does he also play drums in The End? For some reason I think that wasn't him. But I love the drums in that song. So simple but so good.
I think one of the reasons it's sounds different is that it was recorded on two tracks. This gave it a much fuller sound and feel!
I can't remember my source but it's in one of my books somewhere.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2012, 05:58:41 PM »

I think one of the reasons it's sounds different is that it was recorded on two tracks. This gave it a much fuller sound and feel!
I can't remember my source but it's in one of my books somewhere.
I found it in The Beatles Recording Sessions, page 181. The solo was recorded July 23rd and spread over two tracks of the 8 tracks. "Another Beatle breakthrough!"
Mark Twain

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2012, 08:58:13 PM »

I've always thought A Day In The Life has some cool drumming in it. Not particularly difficult to do, but I bet it's totally unlike what any other drummer would have done on that song.

Well, things that seem easy are not easy. Let me post again what I've posted on another topic of Ringo - the praise from Phil Collins:
Starr is vastly underrated. The drum fills on the song "A Day in the Life" are very complex things. You could take a great drummer today and say, 'I want it like that.' He wouldn't know what to do.

My favourite Ringo's drumming is on "Strawberry Fields Forever". I love listening only to the left channel of that track just to hear those great drums!

Oh, me too! So I'm not the only one who does that! 8)

A sharp remark, but it can be explained. Ringo said:
I'm no good on the technical things [...] I'm your basic offbeat drummer with funny fills. The fills were funny because I'm really left-handed playing a right-handed kit. I can't roll around the drums because of that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringo_Starr

What was Ringo's Best Drumming? In my opinion, it was songs such as "I Saw Her Standing There," "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You," "Ticket To Ride," "Revolution," "Paperback Writer" "Birthday," "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey," "Helter Skelter," "Hey Bulldog" and "It's All Too Much" just to name a few. Ringo said it best at the end of "Helter Skelter:" I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS! Take care.

So, I guess most of you fall on Ringo's energetic performances. That's okay.
Now, listen to that soft, rather quiet, meditational George's Long, Long, Long. The drums there are so great because Ringo doesn't drum thru the whole song, but just partially,
during some lyrics and during the refrain. The drums are actually the loudest instrument and you really NOTICE them.

In similar manner: A Day In The Life. It starts with piano, guitar, vocal, maracas (by George), and the drums "join in" after some 45 seconds (after the line he
blew his mind in a car
.) We would, normally expect that the drumming would continue - but, no, we hear the instrument that we heard before, there are no drums on
he didn't notice that the lights have changed. And, then, the drums again come in.

I like songs when the drums come a little bit later like in Hey Jude, You Never Give Me Your Money, Golden Slumbers, The End, etc. 8)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:17:21 PM by real01 »

KelMar

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2012, 06:36:01 AM »

Ringo explains why that is in this video. He also answers the question at hand.

Ringo Starr Reveals The Secret Of His Distinctive Rhythm - CONAN on TBS

Mairi was right...as Rain. ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 06:39:13 AM by In My Life »

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2012, 01:16:06 PM »

^
Nice video.
Since Buddy Holly is mentioned - Ringo did a cover of Think it Over:
Ringo Starr - Think It Over

Notice how Ringo is at ease and having fun when playing drums - but how 'serious' he is at the keyboards - he doesn't raise the head not for a second
while he's playing the keyboards because the keyboards are not 'his' instrument.

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2012, 10:48:42 PM »

OK, let's hear if that drummer did a good job or not. glassesslip
Isolated piano and Ringo's drums:
Hello Goodbye ( piano and drum track )

And some of Ringo's drumming is hidden beneath that crescendos in A Day In The Life.
So, let's hear only his drums (and Paul's bass) on that song: glassesslip
A Day in the Life -- bass and drums tracks from original recordings

Or maybe something nice from the earlier period:
The Beatles - I Feel Fine isolated drum track, drums only

And, now, the famous "blisters on my fingers" song!
The Beatles - Helter Skelter - Drum Track

I was surprised how Ringo's drumming is so - steady and hypnotic. Powerful, yet steady and hypnotic! glassesslip
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:04:51 PM by real01 »

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2012, 12:04:24 PM »

He's the greatest, for sure!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2012, 03:43:29 PM »

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2012, 03:30:49 AM »

Mark Twain

BLEEN

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2013, 01:53:53 AM »

I have way too many favorites to pick the best drumming, but if I had to pick a Beatle who was the best at a particular instrument it would be Ringo, hands down! His creativity, groove, nuance and personality on the drums is right up there with any of the greats in any style, IMHO. In addition to this, Ringo's willingness to let his recorded drums be aurally manipulated in order to carve out the sonic landscapes of the tunes, is exactly what a band like The Beatles needed. His empathy for THE SONG was always top priority, and to my mind this is what a truly great musician is all about.

You know, it's interesting.........I consider Bernard Purdie among the greatest drummers of all time, and his claim to have played on 21 Beatle tracks used to bother me.........but now that I think of it, that is probably one of the best compliments ever paid to Ringo's drumming! ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:59:29 AM by BLEEN »
The Greatest Band Of All Time

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2013, 04:47:14 PM »

but if I had to pick a Beatle who was the best at a particular instrument it would be Ringo, hands down!

Hey Bleen, welcome to the forums. Paul was the best at his particular instrument though. Ringo had his own style and was great, but Paul was so innovative on the bass at the time, that many top players (Jamerson, etc,,,) were influenced. I cant think of whole lot of top drummers that were actually influenced by Ringo. Sure they dug what he did, but rarely influenced I would think.

You know, it's interesting.........I consider Bernard Purdie among the greatest drummers of all time, and his claim to have played on 21 Beatle tracks used to bother me.........but now that I think of it, that is probably one of the best compliments ever paid to Ringo's drumming! ;D

Yeah, Purdies great and a legendary player, but he's a legendary bag of air too.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Page created in 1.107 seconds with 94 queries.