Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Albums To Get  (Read 4812 times)

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
Albums To Get
« on: November 18, 2005, 12:35:01 AM »

I'm am obsessed with George's solo right now and was wondering what albums I absolutley have to get. So far I have All Thing Must Pass, Concert For Bangladesh and am waiting for Living In The Material World to come in the mail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

raxo

• Sun King
Re: Albums To Get
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 01:44:22 AM »

My favourite one from him is Extra Texture (Read All About It) (1975) but it's not one of his most successful albums (underrated I think). Gone Troppo (1982) is an unknown treasure.
My top would be (All Things Must Pass, Concert For Bangladesh, Living In The Material World and the 2 albums from 'the guys' era excluded):

1. Extra Texture

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 02:34:58 AM »

I think I might as well just get them order, I've heard some of Dark Horse and enjoyed it even though the reviews I've read say it is a very poor album, guess I'm just a huge fan of George

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 02:51:01 AM »

Quote from: ma_tt2
... I've heard some of Dark Horse and enjoyed it even though the reviews I've read say it is a very poor album, guess I'm just a huge fan of George

It was one of my first album from him (the line "And I became too slippery for you" from Dark Horse song prompted me to compose one of my best songs titled Grand Man, because I missunderstood it and heard "And I beg you for sleeping before you").

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 06:46:38 AM »

great review link no review for Brainwashed though

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 07:57:16 AM »

Gone Troppo an 'unknown treasure'? It's the one I should get last. It's unknown and that's not without a reason.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 12:08:59 PM »

Quote from: raxo

It was one of my first album from him (the line "And I became too slippery for you" from Dark Horse song prompted me to compose one of my best songs titled Grand Man, because I missunderstood it and heard "And I beg you for sleeping before you").
All You Need Is LOVE!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 03:43:03 PM »

Quote from: Bobber
Gone Troppo an 'unknown treasure'? It's the one I should get last. It's unknown and that's not without a reason.

Well, I agree with this review:

Gone Troppo (October 1982)

"This was George's least commercially successful album. It seems that George released this album quietly, doing little or no promotion for it. [...] . Such was an unfortunate fate for what was actually George's best album in a while. Several of the selections were gems. [...]"Wake Up My Love," could have and should have mixed in well with Top 40 radio of the day, and only one play of "Dream Away" [...] was enough to secure its melody and hookline a prominent space in the conscience [...]. The softer "Mystical One," "Unknown Delight" and "Baby Don't Run Away" were very pleasant to the ear. [...]. But, as stated before, George did not make much of an effort to promote this album, and all these fine new recordings went unlisted to. Radio simply ignored it."

After all, an album with (3 out of 10): Wake up My Love, That's the Way It Goes and Gone Troppo included in his "Best Of Dark Horse 1976-1989" (3 of 12 - because 3 of the 15 were 'new' songs) couldn't be bad or his weakest one, but there are some others like the named above that are quite good IMO.
Well, I considered 'unknown' because... it's obvious and above and a 'treasure' (always a subjective thing) because ... it's obvious and above too.

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 03:50:12 PM »

Wake up My Love, That's the Way It Goes and Gone Troppo: that's about it. The rest is forgettable imo. I really wanted George to do something new, a new sound, not always the same guitar thingy. To me, he became less and less interesting as his solocarreer went on. He just kept repeating himself more or less.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 04:00:38 PM »

Quote from: Bobber
... I really wanted George to do something new, a new sound, not always the same guitar thingy. To me, he became less and less interesting as his solocarreer went on. He just kept repeating himself more or less.

Hard to admit but may be, I agree, "less and less interesting as his solo carreer went on" but not repeating himself exactly, there are reminiscences and of course his carreer would have been more sucessful if he could be able to repeat his great early songs.
I think he was always trying to make Occidental music with Oriental touch and that doesn't work.
It's similar to what I can listen in some songs (luckyly just a few) from Paul trying to make latin music with anglosajon mentality, simply doesn't work.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 10:35:40 PM »

I find George's music much more intresting than John's, I'm going to have to take your word for it Raxo and pick up Extra Texture

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 12:26:00 AM »

Have you read some reviews? It's my favourite one but it's not his best work musically or commercially, not a success.
I love it because I think I can see him as a whole person on that album, it's like ... if I could feel him. For me is magic,... but noone I told about it liked it so I don't want the responsability... if you didn't like it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 05:21:01 AM »

'Gone Troppo' is his worst album hands down in my opinion (although I really like 'Wake Up My Love'). As a matter of fact, it ranks with one of the worst solo efforts out of all the Beatles. Sorry, but I think it sucks.

Now for 'Extra Texture',,,I rather enjoy all of it. As a matter of fact '"His Name Is Legs (Ladies And Gentlemen)", is probably my favorite George tune of all time. I think its got a little laid back, maybe even somber feeling to the whole album, but its a good one to throw in when you really feel like 'listening' to music. (if you get my drift)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 05:38:53 AM »

'Brainwashed' is pretty awesome also,,,(although Al wont listen to it).  8)

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 06:45:48 AM »

I think I'll take my chances with Extra Texture. Gonne go pick it up tommorow ;D

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2005, 02:17:50 AM »

33 1/3 is good....

strawb3rryfi3ldsfor3ver

• Getting Better
  • What filthy ways are these?
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005, 05:05:03 AM »

If you didn't all ready have All Things Must Pass, I'd highly reccomend that. Six sides of George Harrison-ly goodness.
[face=Courier]Things they do look awful c-c-cold... yeah, I hope I die before I get old.[/face]

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2005, 06:38:48 AM »

I wish there was some way of getting rid of all things Jeff Lynne on George's albums. I loved him with ELO, but hate him as a Beatle. His production is so self-absorbed, they should be recatagorized as Jeff Lynne's albums with special guest, George Harrison.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2005, 07:01:44 AM »

Quote from: strawb3rryfi3ldsfor3ver
If you didn't all ready have All Things Must Pass, I'd highly reccomend that. Six sides of George Harrison-ly goodness.

Bought that one before I bought some of the earlier Beatles albums. and Junior imagine if you saw that on shelves one day  ;D

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2005, 07:05:08 AM »

Well, that's what it sounds like, and you shouldn't be up so late young man.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 78 queries.