Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Letter to Todd Rundgren  (Read 3557 times)

BlueMeanie

Letter to Todd Rundgren
« on: December 30, 2008, 10:46:32 AM »

John Lennon and Todd Rundgren had a famous spat in 1974. Here's a series of quotes from an interview that Todd did with Melody Maker, followed by Lennon's letter of response. I really like Todd Rundgren, but he could be such an ar*ehole sometimes!

"John Lennon ain't no revolutionary. He's a f***ing idiot, man. Shouting about revolution and acting like an ass. It just makes people feel uncomfortable."

"All he really wants to do is get attention for himself, and if revolution gets him that attention, he'll get attention through revolution. Hitting a waitress in the Troubador. What kind of revolution is that?"

"He's an important figure, sure. But so was Richard Nixon. Nixon was just like another generation's John Lennon. Someone who represented all sorts of ideals, but was out for himself underneath it all."

"Like the Beatles had no style other than being the Beatles. So the Nazz used to do, like heavy rock, and also these light, pretty ballads with complex ballads."

His dissatisfaction with the attitudes adopted by other contemporary figures - Lennon, for example - became obvious with "Rock and Roll girl private" written for Lennon, and a searing indictment of rock's so-called revolutionaries.

Beat it, beat it, beat your guitar
Smash it, smash it, 'til its sees stars
Rip it, rip it, rip it to shreds
Throw down your axe and then jump into bed
Get up, get up, get up and see
Revolution on the TV
Will you, will you, get your nails dirty
Or are you only just a rock and roll girl private

Here's the whole article:
http://www.geocities.com/dr_boogie/interviews/rundgren/rundgreninterview.htm

And here's Lennon's response:

Published in Melody Maker in response Rundgren's February 1974 interview in the same magazine

AN OPENED LETTUCE TO SODD RUNTLESTUNTLE. (from dr. winston o'boogie)

Couldn't resist adding a few "islands of truth" of my own, in answer to Turd Runtgreen's howl of hate (pain.)

Dear Todd,

I like you, and some of your work, including "I Saw The Light", which is not unlike "There's A Place" (Beatles), melody wise.

1) I have never claimed to be a revolutionary. But I am allowed to sing about anything I want! Right?

2) I never hit a waitress in the Troubador, I did act like an ass, I was too drunk. So shoot me!

3) I guess we're all looking for attention Rodd, do you really think I don't know how to get it, without "revolution?" I could dye my hair green and pink for a start!

4) I don't represent anyone but my SELF. It sounds like I represented something to you, or you wouldn't be so violent towards me. (Your dad perhaps?)

5) Yes Dodd, violence comes in mysterious ways it's wonders to perform, including verbal. But you'd know that kind of mind game, wouldn't you? Of course you would.

6) So the Nazz use to do "like heavy rock" then SUDDENLY a "light pretty ballad". How original!

7) Which gets me to the Beatles, "who had no other style than being the Beatles"!! That covers a lot of style man, including your own, TO DATE.....

Yes Godd, the one thing those Beatles did was to affect PEOPLES' MINDS. Maybe you need another fix?

Somebody played me your rock and roll girl private song, but I never noticed anything. i think that the real reason you're mad at me is cause I didn't know who you were at the Rainbow (L.A.) Remember that time you came in with Wolfman Jack? When I found out later, I was cursing cause I wanted to tell you how good you were. (I'd heard you on the radio.)

Anyway, However much you hurt me darling; I'll always love you,

J. L.

30th Sept. 1974

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Letter to Todd Rundgren
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 10:56:17 AM »

todd always was an asswipe.....

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 11:38:44 AM »

Cheers BM for that. Loving Lennon's style in retort. Entertaining read. :)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 02:46:19 PM »

Rundgren's onto something with "Get up, get up, get up and see/Revolution on the TV," but he blows his own point by spewing too much venom in his comments in the Melody Maker. Still, I think I want to hear "Rock and Roll girl private" for myself, and John was no stranger to this sort of thing ("How Do You Sleep," "Steel and Glass," "Sexy Sadie," etc).  :)

mr vandebilt

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 08:46:51 AM »

I remember reading that in the after the Beatles NME special. I just think the letter was Johns paranoia setting in, i mean he was writing open letters to melody maker attacking Paul at the time as well. I mean he's arguably the biggest star in the world why is he wasting his time doing this.

http://www.wingspan.ru/magazines/nme/NME_Originals_Beatles_Solo_Magazine_May_2005.pdf
Here's a link to the special if anyone wants a read  

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 43 queries.