Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 44

Author Topic: How Did YOU Discover The Beatles?  (Read 187132 times)

POMPON!

• One And One Is Two
  • i'd rather live in the past.
Re: How Did YOU Discover The Beatles?
« Reply #600 on: November 16, 2009, 09:25:03 AM »

its all started when I was so bored with the iPhone theme so I decided to download a random new one and it turned out to be the Beatles's theme!!and its extremely awesomeee :D (but to be honest, I didn't even know who the hell they are though but I'm using it anyway lol) but then there's one iphone's icon that met my eyes (I think its a hard day's night cover) and I totally falled for them!! so then I started typing the beatles in google, studying their profiles, saving every single photos of them etc. and before I know, I BECAME SO OBSESSED just like I am now!! :)

so one may say, I know/like them because of my iPhone theme!! :)
     JOHN LENNONPAUL McCARTNEYGEORGE HARRISONRINGO STARR
only four.no more.only four.no more.only four.no more.only four.no more.only four

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #601 on: November 17, 2009, 01:02:22 AM »

^^ Hahaha!!! Thats a funny way  ha2ha Awesome tho!

POMPON!

• One And One Is Two
  • i'd rather live in the past.
« Reply #602 on: November 17, 2009, 01:33:48 AM »

Lol I know Thanks  ;D
     JOHN LENNONPAUL McCARTNEYGEORGE HARRISONRINGO STARR
only four.no more.only four.no more.only four.no more.only four.no more.only four

Yovra

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #603 on: November 27, 2009, 07:42:03 AM »

This seems like a good subject for a first post for me on this forum! ;D

Born in '64, the Beatles were present on our radio but I was very much in the "music is music"-mode and paid no real attention.

That changed in '77 when the Dutch television show Toppop decided to air the dreamy "Strawberry Fields Forever"-clip. I can't really describe what happened, maybe it was the melody, maybe it was the strange instruments or the hazy little movie. But I knew I had to know more about that strange little group that hung around by that tree.
A few weeks later I bought the Blue double-album and it was a feast of recognition! Many of the tunes I always loved were there (but I didn't know it was the Fabs!)! Well, the rest is history; nagging a friend from my class to make a tape-copy off the '62-'66-album (again: many re-discoveries!) an slowly getting a nice collection for myself.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #604 on: November 27, 2009, 07:45:24 AM »

Welcome Yovra. Enjoy the show!

Yovra

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #605 on: November 27, 2009, 07:47:25 AM »

Thank you, Blue Meanie! ;D

Bobber

« Reply #606 on: November 27, 2009, 09:43:18 AM »

Thank you, Blue Meanie! ;D

Yes, welcome. Familair name? Have I seen you on other forums?

Yovra

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #607 on: November 27, 2009, 01:05:21 PM »

Well, I hang around in some of the threads on the Steve Hoffman forums (often the Beatles-related ones...).. :)

Bobber

« Reply #608 on: November 27, 2009, 01:58:34 PM »

Well, I hang around in some of the threads on the Steve Hoffman forums (often the Beatles-related ones...).. :)

Mmm, it can't be that. Maybe I once had a girlfriend with the same name. ha2ha

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #609 on: November 27, 2009, 03:18:21 PM »

Mmm, it can't be that. Maybe I once had a girlfriend with the same name. ha2ha

Maybe? You can't remember? Swine!!  ;)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bobber

« Reply #610 on: November 27, 2009, 03:21:15 PM »

Maybe? You can't remember? Swine!!  ;)

He, that's someone else! ha2ha

Whoeveriam

• A Beginning
« Reply #611 on: November 30, 2009, 11:09:12 PM »

I do know that Beatle music has been around for a long time in my life, since I was however many months  or 2 years of age, a Toddler as I could walk. There's an audio tape of a song played in my house with me present in 88-90.

I remember when Free As A Bird was in the charts. The video won an award... But I was aware of the Red cassette and some of it's songs. Yellow Submarine. I liked Thomas back then, Richard did both.

AngeloMysterioso

• A Beginning
« Reply #612 on: December 24, 2009, 09:02:59 PM »

My oldest specific conscious recollection is shrouded with sadness. The day of Robert Kennedy’s assassination, somewhere in June 1968, I remember seeing his picture on the TV set, while Yesterday was playing. And I recall saying to myself how the lyrics were well suited to the event. I was 10 years old.

Otherwise, all of my youth bathed in the Beatles music: although I do have sketchy memories of watching The Beatles on their first time on Ed Sullivan, on my mum’s lap.
Music's all right John, but you'll never make a living out of it.

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
  • Nothing's gonna change my world.
    • Purple Prose Solo Music
« Reply #613 on: January 10, 2010, 07:23:18 PM »

Okay, I figured I might as well share my story, even though a certain couple of people already know it...  :D
It's a long one, so you might wanna get comfortable/put on a Beatles record/cuddle your Beatle of choice/whatever.  ;D

It starts with my dad.  He's about three years younger than George would be now, so he was a teen when The Beatles first hit big.  He instantly loved them, and idolized John in particular.  He started singing and taught himself to play guitar, dropped out of his job and ran off to France with the first band that picked him up.  He played all sorts of places, including cruise ships that went all over the world, and he even got to play in Hamburg a few years after The Beatles did.  He's even played the Star Club!  Can you imagine that?  Knowing you were standing in the same place as The Beatles had done?  :D
And he married my mum and they had me, and while my mum worked a rubbish, stiff job in an office, he carried on trying to make it big like John.  But it just never happened.  The Beatles meant more to him than near enough anything, so he never stopped trying.  Eventually, as you can imagine, the fact that my dad was constantly broke got to my mum, and the fact that he neglected us quite a bit.  He'd gig all night, then sleep all day and the moment he got up, he'd either be writing songs, booking gigs or out playing with other musicians or spending money we barely had.  When I was about four, my mum just snapped and asked him which he cared about more, chasing a dream, or raising a child?
And you can guess he picked music.  They divorced while I was too early to really remember him, so I just kept getting postcards from him, from all over the world, saying what musical stuff he was doing and that he missed me.  It was strange though, cos I didn't really know who he was.  Funny though, that when I started primary school, I started to like The Beatles.  Obviously because I was so young, I didn't really have any taste, so naturally I listened to a lot of crap that the pop industry in the 90's, but at the same time, I had a certain taste for older music.  I distinctly remember listening to The Police and Queen, among other things, as well as The Beatles.  I never thought much of it, but I always knew all the words and sang them all the time.
I don't know how much you can "inherit" musical things from parents, but I think my dad's love of music passed to me somehow.  When I was seven, I started classical piano lessons, and my music teacher told my mum that I was quite naturally musically inclined.  It kinda went along like that for a while, until I actually fell in love with music properly, when I was about thirteen.  You know how it happens; one day you're sitting there, and the next you hear a big teenage anthem by some popular band at the time, and you're suddenly hooked.  I don't know why it took me so long, but suddenly I just started to love music more than anything.  I started singing properly, and taught myself instruments.  By the time I'd left high school, I could play the guitar, bass and drums as well as piano.  Anyone see a pattern forming here?  :p
As well as learning to love music, I did learn properly about why my parents split, and all about my Dad's love for The Beatles.  It bothered me obviously, but I didn't blame The Beatles personally for it.  I liked their music too much, I think, even if I didn't really know who they were.  And it went on from there; I did Music Technology at college and came out with full marks, and knocked around in a few bands, one of which was damn fun and caused a decent ruckus in local pubs!  And then took a year out to get money and work towards my university place.
Last year, my dad got this rich new girlfriend who was dead annoying and posh, but when they invited me to stay at their place in Tenerife for a week, I said yes anyway, because I never get to see my dad, and I thought it'd be cool to get out of the country.  Bad move!  I absolutely hated being there, where the weather was too hot, the people were loud, constantly half naked and nearly ALL English, and my dad's stupid girlfriend was there sneering at me all the time.  I was really quite upset too, cos my dad had invited me on this trip and then kinda ignored me.  It was his birthday while we were out there, and I'd got him some CDs, so we put those on.  While he was listening, I suddenly saw CDs of "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help!" on the table, so I started looking at them out of interest.  Then he turned around and said "you don't just wanna look at those bad boys, get listening!" and he snatched them out of my hand and put on "A Hard Day's Night".  The ENTIRE night turned into the biggest Beatle-fest I've ever known.  We listened to every album, my dad sitting there and giving me a runthrough of why each one was great and why The Beatles were such clever songwriters.  I was just completely in awe, and I remember thinking that the songs were very exciting and cleverly written.  We went on and on until god knows what time, and I think it was especially special to me because I'd never seen my dad look so happy in his whole life.  I've never seen him so enthusiastic, and in all fairness I could see the love that he had for The Beatles, that his love for me couldn't match.  So we sat there and I just took everything in, and then all too soon he said we should get some sleep.  I remember somehow thinking about how happy I was, and thinking "I bet I never hear The Beatles like that again", like it was some kind of one night stand or something.  I don't know why, but I just felt like I'd never experience them at that level of happiness again.
But thank Christ almighty, I was wrong!  Just as I was shuffling around in bed, waking up, my first thought was about The Beatles, and how I'd probably never share that with my dad again...  and I heard my dad sitting on the couch in the other room, with his guitar, playing "Here Comes The Sun", and singing like he was George himself.  I'm not sure why, but something clicked that morning, and I've never been more in love with a band since.  When I got home, I bought and borrowed everything I could on The Beatles, and completely fell in love with them as people, and their music, like I'm sure my dad did when he was my age.
So I guess things worked out alright in the end.  In all honesty, I probably should have been angry at The Beatles when I was younger for being the thing that made my dad leave, but the funny thing is, me and my dad are more alike as people than I've ever known anyone to be, and I can't help but love The Beatles as much as he does.  The Beatles make me happier than anything else in the whole world, and I wouldn't change a thing now that I've got them, not even if it meant my parents never divorcing.
And anyway, my dad might have chosed John over me, but in the end, I chose John over him too, so I guess that makes us equal.  :)

And that was WAY longer than I'd anticipated!  I apologise for being a long-winded, potentially self-indulgent idiot who types way too fast!  :p

xxx

Limitless, undying love, which shines around me like a million suns, it calls me on and on, across the universe.
Proud author of "It's Only Love: A John Lennon Romance"!

AngeloMysterioso

• A Beginning
« Reply #614 on: January 11, 2010, 03:14:30 PM »

Thanks Jai Guru Deva. Very, very enlightening. Especially, when you are, like myself, father to a little girl and a Beatles’ fan.
Music's all right John, but you'll never make a living out of it.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #615 on: January 11, 2010, 05:22:26 PM »

Thank you  for that story. I really enjoyed reading it.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
  • Nothing's gonna change my world.
    • Purple Prose Solo Music
« Reply #616 on: January 11, 2010, 07:49:29 PM »

Thank you guys.  As soon as I posted it, I kinda regretted going on so much, and thought you'd probably think I was just over-indulgent and obsessed.  But in all honesty, it's the story that kinda defines me.  Thanks for understanding me guys   :)

xxx

Limitless, undying love, which shines around me like a million suns, it calls me on and on, across the universe.
Proud author of "It's Only Love: A John Lennon Romance"!

dipper1967

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #617 on: January 14, 2010, 10:25:14 AM »

when i was a kid about 1979 i got a book on rock n roll for christmas. there was a whole chapter devoted to The Beatles. liked their style and i think that same christmas the bbc showed all their films and the Shea Stadium concert.  but as we didnt have a record player until mid 1980 my interest dipped until the day John Lennon was murdered. since then, i've been into The Beatles big style.

nufc

• One And One Is Two
    • http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/nufcmichael
« Reply #618 on: January 30, 2010, 06:34:48 PM »

This girl I liked at the time was so obsessed with them and my friend had a few of their compilations she told me her favorite songs and I gave them a listen one month later I owned all their albums and many of their solo albums too LOL! now i can't stop listening to them.
Make easy money just by searching!

ThisGirlLoves

• One And One Is Two
  • With our love we could save the world
« Reply #619 on: January 31, 2010, 06:24:01 AM »

Hello, I guess this is a good place to start out on this site =]
I first discovered The Beatles on a road trip up the California coast to Washington when I was 9. We only had three cd's, and one of the was the Beatle's Number 1 hits. And on that road trip, I'm now proud to say, I probably listened to about 20 hours of that cd. I didn't completely fall in love then, it was only when my friend got Beatles Rockband for her birthday this year that I dove into this obsession. And hopefully it will be a lifelong one =]
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 44

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 86 queries.