Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What was John, Paul and George's greatest career break?  (Read 8142 times)

nimrod

Re: What was John, Paul and George's greatest career break?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 03:19:35 AM »

I am just trying to tell the truth on the different issues being discussed.

truth ?  how do you know the truth ? were you around the Beatles at that time ?

I am also not telling you that Pete Best was the most important person/thing for their world domination was.

so why did you reply to this thread with this answer ?

No.  You were atempting to be sarcastic, but instead got it right.

The winning answer is Pete Best.

and..

I am saying that Pete and even Stu made much bigger contributions than they are given credit for by fans of the group

who are these fans who give Pete no credit ? everybody has stated that he did contribute.......TBH you keep saying the same thing about Pete Best over and over, I think we have all got the message that your film portrays , but Im not sure anyone really cares that much anymore.
Yes Pete made a good contribution to the band in the early days, thats all that needs saying really.....thanks Pete, your name will go down in history.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BeatlesAtTheirBest

• A Beginning
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 03:27:41 AM »

truth ?  how do you know the truth ? were you around the Beatles at that time ?

so why did you reply to this thread with this answer ?

and..

who are these fans who give Pete no credit ? everybody has stated that he did contribute.......TBH you keep saying the same thing about Pete Best over and over, I think we have all got the message that your film portrays , but Im not sure anyone really cares that much anymore.
Yes Pete made a good contribution to the band in the early days, thats all that needs saying really.....thanks Pete, your name will go down in history.

There is a big difference between getting credit and getting proper credit. 

For example, if you do 20 historically important things and only get credit for 4.  You will go down in history.  You got credit.  But you didn't get proper credit.

The Beatles (1960-1970) - John, Stu, Paul, George, Pete & Ringo

www.TheUltimateTrip.net

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 03:59:40 AM »

There is a big difference between getting credit and getting proper credit. 

He's never going to get the credit that you think he deserves because he probably doesnt deserve it.

And what kind of contribution did Stu ever make to the band except dating a broad that took pictures of them? The guy was waisted space on the stage.

nimrod

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 04:19:21 AM »

Ive got this feeling that this is turning into another Pete Best thread  4ac

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 04:38:38 AM »

Why cant we all just get along?

nimrod

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 05:33:37 AM »

ha2ha

BeatlesAtTheirBest

• A Beginning
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 05:50:32 AM »

He's never going to get the credit that you think he deserves because he probably doesnt deserve it.

And what kind of contribution did Stu ever make to the band except dating a broad that took pictures of them? The guy was waisted space on the stage.

Actually Pete Best has gotten much more proper credit post 2000 than he ever got pre 2000.  As for Stu, he only thought of the name of the group.  Should I go on?

Is it possible tkitna that although you know a lot, you don't know everything? 

Why can't we all just get along?

It's nothing personal.  Things always look worse in print.  We get alone, just disagree from time to time.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:53:16 AM by BeatlesAtTheirBest »

www.TheUltimateTrip.net

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 06:10:05 AM »

Hey Best...
What do you mean nobody wanted to be the Beatles drummer?
Norman Chapman accepted them right away and they were perfectly happy with him and visa versa.
With Chapman, they would have gone right on to Hamburg.
Had Best turned them down, they would have found another within a week or two and then gone on to Hamburg.
You mean to tell me that Pete Best's signing was the top break of all of them? Even over Martin? Epstein? Even Mona Best and the breaks she gave them?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 06:33:45 AM »

Actually Pete Best has gotten much more proper credit post 2000 than he ever got pre 2000.  As for Stu, he only thought of the name of the group.  Should I go on?

Oh God. He thought of the name so thats his great contribution? You would hope that a member in a band would make a musical contribution at some point?

With all this talk about Pete and Stu, I think our definitions of the word contribution varies a good bit.

Is it possible tkitna that although you know a lot, you don't know everything?

Thats always possible.  ha2ha

Bobber

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 09:25:16 AM »

Before adding Pete Best, Lennon, McCartney & Harrison had been a band for 2 years, yet had very little success.  There have been many people (including members of The Beatles) who have made statements indicating that by the summer of 1960 they were close to breaking up.  Then they added Pete Best.  He became the dependable steady drummer they desperately needed. Over the next 2 years, Best would put in more time drumming live for The Beatles than any other drummer in their history.  He put in more time playing live for them in his 2 years than Starr did in his entire career!!!  By the time they sacked Best, they were the #1 band in 2 different cities in 2 different countries with record deals in 2 different countries.  He was the one attracting the most fans to their shows and The Beatles were being called "a phenomenon unlike anything we will see again in our lifetime".

They got a HUGE break when Pete Best decided to join.  You shouldn't be so quick to dismiss his contributions.

I think you have made your point more than clear now.

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 05:51:44 PM »

Hey Best...
You keep saying the Beatles were pretty bad prior to Pete's joining but they were learning and taking on a new type of music totally...
They also weren't too good when Best first started but with Lennon and McCartney in the band, things were going to head north quickly.

BeatlesAtTheirBest

• A Beginning
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 06:27:29 PM »

Hey Best...
You keep saying the Beatles were pretty bad prior to Pete's joining but they were learning and taking on a new type of music totally...
They also weren't too good when Best first started but with Lennon and McCartney in the band, things were going to head north quickly.

Yeah.  They all sucked as a band.  They all got better.  What's your point.  My point is that The Beatles as a live act were at their best when Best was their drummer - before "Brian put them in suits & they sold out" (Lennon's words).

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:43:49 AM by BeatlesAtTheirBest »

www.TheUltimateTrip.net

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »

wrong. whatever do you mean by sucked as a band, that is a rather opaque thing to say. actually all three of them minus ringo on drums were very accomplished musicians. so was ringo, he was a top attraction early on in Hamburg.  it shows in their music. geeze.

;yes
day tripper yeah

nimrod

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 10:44:25 PM »

Well anyway, Ive always thought that Brian was their biggest career break, without Brian they may never have got a recording contract, thats the biggest thing that could happen to band in the 60's, without it they may gone the way of thousands of other bands, got sick of playing the same places, started arguing, even have eventually split up.

Brian, for me, dragged them in the right direction.

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 12:20:30 AM »

I'm going to post some nominees for top break, but it would be hard to top Epstein...They actually were already worried about playing the same circuits even with Epstein and certainly before him.
But as my question asks, which break was the most important for their first goal which was to play music for a living. With or without Epstein, they may have already been set as career musicians.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 03:35:23 AM »

I'm going to post some nominees for top break, but it would be hard to top Epstein...They actually were already worried about playing the same circuits even with Epstein and certainly before him.
But as my question asks, which break was the most important for their first goal which was to play music for a living. With or without Epstein, they may have already been set as career musicians.

Give me your list of nominees and I'll add a poll to this thread.
I can stay till it's time to go

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 03:40:08 AM »

Well anyway, Ive always thought that Brian was their biggest career break, without Brian they may never have got a recording contract, thats the biggest thing that could happen to band in the 60's, without it they may gone the way of thousands of other bands, got sick of playing the same places, started arguing, even have eventually split up.

Brian, for me, dragged them in the right direction.
that's more or less my thinking, after all is said and done.
day tripper yeah

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 03:43:51 AM »

obviously that is true for Sir Paul and Ringo Starr, probably also true for Harrison. But John Lennon is a wildcard here, i can't imagine him ever stopping playing music or being a musician.
 ;yes
day tripper yeah

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 06:47:34 AM »

@ Hello Goodbye...thanks..I'll try to list some as I'm digging up a few through books right now but I'm just a bit busy to get a list until perhaps this weekend...

@ Best of the Beatles...From what I could tell, Pete Best actually DID give the Beatles one of their top breaks when he bombarded the German consulate with success in order to allow the Beatles back into Hamburg a second time.

I'm hoping some (or all) of you friend me on Facebook (Jim Richards, jfkin60@gmail.com)...It will also bring people to this board.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 1.067 seconds with 80 queries.