Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Lennon, McCartney & Harrison use of vibrato when playing guitar  (Read 2721 times)

Xose

• A Thousand Pages

Harrison when playing the last note of the riff that begins each verse on 'And I Love Her':

THE BEATLES - AND I LOVE HER (Paul single vocals)

McCartney when playing the higher -and syncopated- note of the riff that begins 'Two Of Us':

Beatles- two of us

Lennon when playing the final chord of 'Long Tall Sally'*:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=$1#errorPrivate video

Does anyone know other examples??

Thanks in advance and best wishes!! ;)

Xosé

* I'm indebted to Marcelo Ravelo for bringing this bit to my attention...

JimDep

• One And One Is Two
Re: Lennon, McCartney & Harrison use of vibrato when playing guitar
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 05:41:46 PM »

Good topic ! 

I was just listening to the Decca audition of "Til There Was You" and George did some nice vibrato with the Gretch tremolo bar. Some early instrumentals on the Anthology CDs showed off some of Georges' whammy technique also.

gvdv

• One And One Is Two
Re: Lennon, McCartney & Harrison use of vibrato when playing guitar
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:49:04 AM »

Good topic ! 

I was just listening to the Decca audition of "Til There Was You" and George did some nice vibrato with the Gretch tremolo bar. Some early instrumentals on the Anthology CDs showed off some of Georges' whammy technique also.
I would have to listen to it to confirm, but I would guess that 'Cry For a Shadow' has some examples of George's use of the tremolo bar.

And I think that John looks like he's using vibrato in the footage of the 'Rock & Roll Revival' concert here in Toronto.

I remember that Wilfrid Mellers in 'Twilight of the Gods: The Beatles in Retrospect' made the point that George didn't bend any notes in his solos for a year at one point in the mid 60's, but I would seriously doubt that.

Seem to recall in 'Let It Be' that George is using tremolo when they are at Twickenham and he is sitting down playing his Les Paul.

GVDV.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:54:33 AM by gvdv »

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 39 queries.