Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Octopus's garden  (Read 4483 times)

nimrod

Song Of The Week - Octopus's garden
« on: August 12, 2013, 10:31:10 PM »

I'd like to be under the sea
In an octopus' garden in the shade
He'd let us in, knows where we've been
In his octopus' garden in the shade

I'd ask my friends to come and see
An octopus' garden with me
In an octopus' garden in the shade.

We would be warm below the storm
In our little hideaway beneath the waves
Resting our head on the sea bed
In an octopus' garden near a cave

We would sing and dance around
Because we know we can't be found
In an octopus' garden in the shade

We would shout and swim about
The coral that lies beneath the waves
(Lies beneath the ocean waves)
Oh what joy for every girl and boy
Knowing they're happy and they're safe
(Happy and they're safe)

We would be so happy you and me
No one there to tell us what to do
In an octopus' garden with you.

I always liked this song of Ringo's, its Ringo through & through, I particularly like George's lead guitar bits, some of his best imo.
The whole thing sounds very well produced by George Martin.

Ringo Starr's second composition for The Beatles was written in Sardinia. On 22 August 1968 he temporarily walked out of sessions for the White Album after becoming disenchanted with the increasing tensions within the group. He took his family abroad for a boating holiday, returning to Abbey Road on 5 September.

I wrote Octopus's Garden in Sardinia. Peter Sellers had lent us his yacht and we went out for the day... I stayed out on deck with [the captain] and we talked about octopuses. He told me that they hang out in their caves and they go around the seabed finding shiny stones and tin cans and bottles to put in front of their cave like a garden. I thought this was fabulous, because at the time I just wanted to be under the sea too. A couple of tokes later with the guitar - and we had Octopus's Garden!

Octopus's Garden is Ringo's song. It's only the second song Ringo wrote, and it's lovely. Ringo gets bored playing the drums, and at home he plays a bit of piano, but he only knows about three chords. He knows about the same on guitar. I think it's a really great song, because on the surface, it just like a daft kids' song, but the lyrics are great. For me, you know, I find very deep meaning in the lyrics, which Ringo probably doesn't see, but all the thing like 'resting our head on the sea bed' and 'We'll be warm beneath the storm' which is really great, you know. Because it's like this level is a storm, and if you get sort of deep in your consciousness, it's very peaceful. So Ringo's writing his cosmic songs without noticing.
George Harrison, 1969

Personnel

Ringo Starr – lead vocal, drums, percussion, sound effects, piano
George Harrison – backing vocal, lead guitar
Paul McCartney – backing vocal, bass
John Lennon – rhythm guitar

(The backing vocals by McCartney and Harrison during the guitar solo were put through compressors and limiters to create a gurgling sound. Harrison added the sound of bubbles being blown into a glass of milk using a straw)

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Song Of The Week - Octopus's garden
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:44:06 AM »

I like this song too and for similar reasons you mentioned.  I remember paying special attention to this song when I first played Abbey Road upon its release.  I was very impressed with George's lead guitar and Ringo's lead vocals.  The backup vocals were perfect.  It is just one fine song and reprised the Yellow Submarine bit from three years before.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 04:59:47 AM »

Early takes...

The Beatles - Octopus's Garden (Takes 2 & 6)

And in the end...

The Beatles - Octopus's Garden (2009 Stereo Remaster)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:01:01 PM by Hello Goodbye »
I can stay till it's time to go

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 08:17:20 AM »

A fun one, wonderfully produced. I used to not like it, thinking of it as silly filler. Older and wiser now.

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 07:58:04 PM »

I'm here nor there on this one. I still think its a silly number, but its enjoyable enough. I dont love it or hate it so its neutral for me.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 10:02:46 PM »

I like this song and agree with the excellent guitar and vocal work. It's a fun Ringo song that lightens the album just right!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 01:41:09 PM »

I like this song a lot; it's so happy and -- just fun! I agree with Dcazz in that it helps lighten the album. This is one of my favorite songs to sing along to.   ;)

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 11:11:39 PM »

I like it too. I saw it show up on a lot of kids' records when I taught but I think the real thing is best. It's never to soon to introduce The Beatles.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 11:36:18 AM »

I'd rate it an 8-10; it is ok if I hear it every 8 to 10 weeks or so.  Nice enough as others have said, but in no way have I ever searched this song out to have a listen, ever.  That to me tells me a lot.

I'm actually amazed at the responses from some of the die hard, usually strong opinion members.  I would have guessed that it would have been ripped apart some by a few of you.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 10:53:11 PM »

Lol! It sure beats Don't Pass Me By! Hands down!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 06:02:14 AM »

I'd rate it an 8-10; it is ok if I hear it every 8 to 10 weeks or so.  Nice enough as others have said, but in no way have I ever searched this song out to have a listen, ever.  That to me tells me a lot.

I'm actually amazed at the responses from some of the die hard, usually strong opinion members.  I would have guessed that it would have been ripped apart some by a few of you.

I guess its like a typical Ringo song (like Yellow Submarine etc) we dont expect anything deep or earth shatteringly innovative, as George said he only knows about 3 chords (although there 4 in this) :D

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 09:59:53 AM »

I think he was warming up for his solo career with all his big hits in the early 70's.
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 10:41:35 AM »

I've listened to it a couple of times since this post came up and was pondering how good the musicianship is and I thought of a George martin statement that said." When you get one Beatle fine, two Beatles, good..... I bet when they recorded OG they all showed up for Ritchie and the magic happened. It is one slick recording !
Mark Twain

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 10:56:07 AM »

It is a fun tune. :)
I remember watching Ringo live and although everyone knew he will do Octopus's Garden, when he did sing it everyone joined in and smiles on their faces because its so iconically Ringo.
I find too that if I dont listen to this song alot and then I stumble upon it, I keep listening to it and it cheers me up. I never skip it

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 71 queries.