Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Ukraine - Crimea  (Read 44481 times)

KelMar

Re: Ukraine - Crimea
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2014, 04:54:22 PM »

Plane crashes in Ukraine, 298 dead

Terrible!
My condolences!  :'(

So tragic to lose all those souls. Among them were a reported 100 AIDS researchers. It boggles the mind.

AIDS researchers among dead in Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 crash were en route to Australian conference 
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2014, 05:17:46 AM »

How could somebody do this ?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2014, 07:58:37 PM »

So tragic to lose all those souls. Among them were a reported 100 AIDS researchers. It boggles the mind.

It does boggle the mind. So terribly sad.  :'(

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2014, 09:35:07 PM »

Before the Dutch plane was shot down the situation was already sad.

Maybe this will contribute to a solution being found.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2014, 07:55:28 AM »

and the worst they plunder the baggage and try to withdraw money with credit cards.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2014, 06:07:27 PM »

Among them were a reported 100 AIDS researchers. It boggles the mind.

That can't be true. The last few days I've read personal stories about several dozens of the 193 Dutch victims, and just one of them was an AIDS researcher.

KelMar

« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2014, 06:21:05 PM »

That can't be true. The last few days I've read personal stories about several dozens of the 193 Dutch victims, and just one of them was an AIDS researcher.

The article only mentions one Dutch researcher.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2014, 10:08:27 PM »

Apparently 100 were heading to an AIDS conference in Melbourne. Whether they're all researchers though I don't know. Probably lots of public policy people in that group as well.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2014, 12:21:59 PM »

The article only mentions one Dutch researcher.

If just one of the researchers was Dutch, than it's a fact that there weren't 100 AIDS researchers on board. 193 of all 283 passengers were Dutch.

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2014, 12:43:02 PM »

by the way

Russia's Defence Ministry on Monday challenged accusations pro-Russian rebels were to blame for shooting down a Malaysian airliner and asked the United States to produce satellite images to support its assertions.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/21/us-ukraine-crisis-russia-ministry-idUSKBN0FQ16C20140721
In russian: http://lenta.ru/articles/2014/07/21/milversion/ with pics.

Russia already have satellite images. Why NATO is silent?

Bobber

« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2014, 01:23:02 PM »

Good friends of a family we know via the school from our children were on that plane. Suddenly victims get a name and a face. Frans Timmermans, minister of Foreign Affairs put it diplomatically in an emotional speech. I can assure you Mr Putin's popularity is not very high over here.

Speech by the Dutch minister of Foreign Affairs in the UN Council.

Hier de tekst van mijn speech in de VN Veiligheidsraad:
Mr. President,
We are here to discuss a tragedy: the downing of a commercial airliner and the death of 298 innocent people. Men, women and a staggering number of children lost their lives, on their way to their holiday destinations, their homes, loved ones, their jobs or international obligations. Since Thursday I've been thinking how horrible the final moments of their lives must have been, when they knew the plane was going down. Did they lock hands with their loved ones, did they hold their children close to their hearts, did they look each other in the eyes, one final time, in a wordless goodbye? We will never know.
The demise of almost 200 of my compatriots has left a hole in the heart of the Dutch nation, has caused grief, anger and despair. Grief for the loss of loved ones, anger for the outrage of the downing of a civilian airplane and despair after witnessing the excruciatingly slow process of securing the crash site and recovering the remains of the victims.
It is fitting that this august Council should take position on this matter and I welcome the adoption of today’s resolution of the UNSC, which was tabled by Australia and which the Netherlands co-sponsored. I thank the countries which expressed support for it. I particularly want to thank Julie Bishop. Julie, we are in this together.
Mr President,
For the Netherlands, one priority clearly stands out above all others: bring the victims’ remains home. It is a matter of human decency that remains should be treated with respect and that recovering victim’s remains should be done without any delay.
The last couple of days we have received very disturbing reports of bodies being moved about and looted for their possessions. Just imagine for one minute, first to lose your husband and then to have to fear that some thug might steal his wedding ring from his remains. Just imagine that this could be your spouse. To my dying day I will not understand that it took so much time for the rescue workers to be allowed to do their difficult jobs and that human remains should be used in a despicable political game. I hope the world will not have to witness this again, any time in the future.
Images of children’s toys being tossed around, luggage being opened or passports being shown, are turning our grief and mourning into anger. We demand unimpeded access to the terrain. We demand respectful treatment of the crash site. We demand dignity for the victims and the multitudes who mourn their loss.
I call on the international community, on the Security Council, on anyone with influence on the situation on the ground: allow us to bring the victims’ remains home to their loved ones without any further delay. They deserve to be home.
As we are currently taking the lead in the forensic examination of the human remains, I pledge that the Netherlands will do its utmost to make sure that all remains will be identified and returned home, where ever that home may be.
We will work intensively with all countries and international organizations involved to make this happen.
Mr. President,
I also welcome the setting up of a proper investigation into the cause of the tragedy of MH17, as envisaged in today’s resolution. The Netherlands has agreed to assume a leading role in such an investigation, in close cooperation with the relevant countries, the United Nations and ICAO. I am fully aware of the great responsibility we now take upon ourselves and I give you my personal commitment that we will discharge this responsibility to the best of our abilities.
Once the investigation ascertains who was responsible for the downing of the flight MH17, accountability and justice must be pursued and delivered. We owe that to the victims, to justice, to humanity. I call on all relevant countries to provide full cooperation.
My country will not rest until all facts are known and justice is served.
I thank you, Mr. President.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2014, 03:17:52 PM »

one word atom bomb over ukraine that`s it.

http://youtu.be/TK1VncZN-8g

ALL THE POWER AGAINST  PUTIN ;sorry 5dp

Bobber

« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2014, 04:26:29 PM »

You obvouisly dont understand it.

KelMar

« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2014, 04:39:46 PM »

If just one of the researchers was Dutch, than it's a fact that there weren't 100 AIDS researchers on board. 193 of all 283 passengers were Dutch.

Okay, I see your point now. Sometimes numbers don't sink in right with me.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2014, 06:01:04 PM »

Good friends of a family we know via the school from our children were on that plane. Suddenly victims get a name and a face.

193 victims is quite a lot for a country of 16 million people. Seems like almost everyone in The Netherlands had someone at least somewhat close to their social circle in that plane. An acquaintance of an acquaintance, someone who lived just a few miles away, someone who played for a soccer team that you played against, someone who was a frequent visitor of the same music festival you go to every year...

I've read a lot of acticles and blogs that people wrote about people who were on that plane. And it's a good reminder of the fact that a crowd of people is never just another bunch of anonymous faces. Each crowd of people is a collection of unique and very valuable individuals. People who are loved by many, who have accomplished amazing things, who have lots of interesting stories to tell, who inspire others, who have valuable talents... Of course that's something we already knew, but tragedies like these just make you realize it again.

It should at least make us realize that simply bombing the sh*t out of a place just because it gives you troubles should never even be considered a solution...

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2014, 06:11:37 PM »

Good friends of a family we know via the school from our children were on that plane. Suddenly victims get a name and a face. Frans Timmermans, minister of Foreign Affairs put it diplomatically in an emotional speech. I can assure you Mr Putin's popularity is not very high over here.

Speech by the Dutch minister of Foreign Affairs in the UN Council.

What a moving speech -- that really touched my heart. It is indeed difficult to conceive of such a large number of innocent people just....gone. I am always appreciative of the profiles the news media provides of the individuals -- as you and Joost mentioned, each with his or her own hopes, dreams, accomplishments, loved ones, etc. They help me, at least, process the tragedy more fully. So often numbers just get tossed casually around.

nimrod

« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2014, 11:30:24 PM »

one word atom bomb over ukraine that`s it.

thats 4 words   roll:)

there was a guy on tv here who lost his 3 small kids, they were travelling back to Oz with theyre grandparents

how do you ever get over that ?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2014, 12:34:57 AM »

there was a guy on tv here who lost his 3 small kids, they were travelling back to Oz with theyre grandparents

how do you ever get over that ?

Omigosh, I don't think I would ever get out of bed again after a such a crushing loss. I'd like to think I'd have the faith and strength to carry on, but I get panicky even thinking about losing one of my kids.

I was reading an article about a single mom who reassured her 10-year-old after he expressed worry about the plane crashing (i.e., this Malaysian Air flight that was shot down) ... I had to get offline after that.

My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones.  :'(

KelMar

« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2014, 01:26:43 AM »

Good friends of a family we know via the school from our children were on that plane. Suddenly victims get a name and a face.

It's all so sad. I'll never forget how I felt after the TWA Flight 800 crash near Long Island, NY. It also happened on July 17th, 18 years ago. I was stunned when I learned that 16 of the victims came from the small town I lived in for a few years as a teenager. That was many years before the crash but when the personal stories came out I found that one of the victims was someone I remembered. Others were high school students, kids the same age as I was when I lived there. I know the way I felt after that is magnified many, many times over right now and it breaks my heart.

To my dying day I will not understand that it took so much time for the rescue workers to be allowed to do their difficult jobs and that human remains should be used in a despicable political game.

Indeed. It should be hard to imagine how something like this could get worse for these poor people but the events unfolding now are doing just that. It's inexcusable.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2014, 02:29:28 AM »

The word "tragedy" has been used a number of times in the preceding posts.  Words like "massacre," "murder" and "crime" are more suitable.
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Page created in 0.86 seconds with 78 queries.