Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Who The f*** Is Paul McCartney?  (Read 9275 times)

Bobber

Who The f*** Is Paul McCartney?
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:12:53 AM »

Found this on Alan's forum. Pic from the night of the Grammy's.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Who The f*** Is Paul McCartney?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:53:18 AM »

Yeah, I saw that. I truly think its just a bunch of sarcastic kids. I cant imagine people not knowing about Paul McCartney. I wouldnt put too much into this.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 01:15:07 PM »

My generation isn't the smartest bunch.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 03:59:44 PM »

Yeah, I saw that. I truly think its just a bunch of sarcastic kids. I cant imagine people not knowing about Paul McCartney. I wouldnt put too much into this.

Some People don't find Ringo on the Picture ;D

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »

Probably just kids being wise---es, but annoying to read nonetheless!

My girls are in 8th grade and there seem to be a LOT of Beatles fans at their school.  :D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:03:21 AM »

KelMar

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 05:42:14 AM »

I thought that second one was just a joke but those really are song lyrics. I'm wasting my time doing what I'm doing...I could write the next big hit.

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 04:28:51 PM »

I really hope those people were joking around,if not then something's very wrong with them!How could somebody not know who Paul is!?  2ch

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »

Me Fan since  SEPT. 1978 (with Age 9)

and i  grow up in the GDR(DDR)

KelMar

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 07:21:25 PM »

What do the 2012 Grammy-related tweets from people who don't know who Paul McCartney is says about music and society?
David Stewart

It says that twitter is an international medium used by people from all ages all over the world. There are kids alive today who don't know who Paul is because he hasn't really entered their sphere of influence yet.

I'm a huge Beatles fan and believe their the most important rock band who has ever lived but I don't despair that Paul can go unrecognised by a few people on Twitter. It's possible to lead a fulfilling and productive life without ever even hearing a Beatles song.

I know their music will never die and that every person who said "Who the f*** is Paul McCartney?" on twitter got ripped into by dozens of their friends who gave them an education in 140 characters. I also know that in a few years many of those currently professing ignorance will be tweeting "Rubber Soul! OMG so good!"

http://www.quora.com/What-do-the-2012-Grammy-related-tweets-from-people-who-dont-know-who-Paul-McCartney-is-says-about-music-and-society

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 04:15:04 PM »

I thought that second one was just a joke but those really are song lyrics. I'm wasting my time doing what I'm doing...I could write the next big hit.

LOL, me too, Kelley!  ;D 

stevejrogers

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 04:52:18 AM »

I think it's the snarky use of foul language though that makes this an issue.  I'm sure if the tweets were more in line of "Why is so much time being paid to this old guy?" there would be a different story.

Not to mention, why are people acting as if Twitter and Facebook are Google and Wikipedia?
hi
FWIW, sadly it does go both ways, two examples:

I'm listening to a sports radio show and a young sounding caller says something like this to the host:

"I'm looking at Sandy Koufax' [Hall of Fame pitcher for the Brooklyn and LA Dodgers from the late 1950s through the mid 1960s.  Was easily the best pitcher in the game in the early 1960s, but retired in his early thirties due to arm troubles] career stats here, and I'm not seeing why he gets so much praise.  Can you tell me what was so great about him?"

The response from an older, very salty host whom watched Koufax in his prime:

"You are asking me what was so great about Sandy Koufax?  GET OFF MY PHONE!  I mean what the hell are you doing asking me to tell you what was so great about Sandy Koufax, go look it up."

And a second one:

There is was a podcast based out of England that was a review show of everything to do with every James Bond film, one per episode.  They reviewed it, talked about every aspect of the film, behind the scenes and of course the theme of each film.  They get to "All Time High" by Rita Coolidge for Octogirl private, and they trash her and the song, partially because they, being English, have never heard of her.  (FWIW, one of the hosts is heavily into electronic sounding music than traditional pop and HATES The Beatles and of course he hated "Live And Let Die" so take that for what it's worth)

Well anyway, I've heard of Rita Coolidge, but only because being a fan of American Country Music, I'm aware of her connection to Kris Kristofferson, they were married at one time.  So I went to a Johnny Cash forum (Cash and Kristofferson were great friends, collaborators on projects and songs) and explained the situation, with the added fact that the hosts were in their 20s (I did not mention that one of them is more of a techno/electronic fan than traditional sounds...not that it would have made a difference in the reaction).  Well one of the responses to the fact that two British guys didn't know someone who is pretty much an obscure country singer today was this "...trust me, no one in their 20s knows anything about anything..."

Come to think of it, I'm still not quite sure if my question concerning Coolidge and the song's popularity around the time Octogirl private was out.  In terms of her being on the level as, say McCartney for Live And Let Die, Madonna for Die Another Day, etc, and therefore easy to chuckle at two young peeps across the pond wondering whom she was and why she is doing a Bond theme.  But no, it's better to insult someone's intelligence because they don't know the name of someone who may have been uber popular before they were born!

stevejrogers

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 05:03:24 AM »

Oh, one more point to help illustrate this.  A few years ago there was a TV show here in the States called Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

In it, a character is chosen to portray Anita Pallenberg in a bio pic that supposedly about the early days of The Rolling Stones (akin to Ray and Walk The Line, about the star on the rise, just before achieving icon status, and I say supposedly because it included the Russian Roulette incident with Pallenberg from 1979).  As she is approached for the role by the director, she guesses whom she is playing, her guess is country music legend Tammy Wynette.  Whom ran with the Stones in those early days, apparently since this was the first I've heard of Tammy's connections with them.

Well, I was on a Studio 60 forum, and someone from England actually said that they've simply never heard of Tammy Wynette.  Which is easy to do if you aren't from here, as country isn't as big as it is today, and chances are you'd know "Stand By Your Man" but not necessarily whom made it famous.  So, heh, what are the chances of someone knowing Rita Coolidge!  =;)

KelMar

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 05:06:11 AM »

Well anyway, I've heard of Rita Coolidge, but only because being a fan of American Country Music, I'm aware of her connection to Kris Kristofferson, they were married at one time.  So I went to a Johnny Cash forum (Cash and Kristofferson were great friends, collaborators on projects and songs) and explained the situation, with the added fact that the hosts were in their 20s (I did not mention that one of them is more of a techno/electronic fan than traditional sounds...not that it would have made a difference in the reaction).  Well one of the responses to the fact that two British guys didn't know someone who is pretty much an obscure country singer today was this "...trust me, no one in their 20s knows anything about anything..."

Rita Coolidge did pretty well for herself. She had quite a few  popular songs in the late '70's and early "80's, including the one you mentioned.

stevejrogers

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 05:16:52 AM »

Octogirl private

:o  Okay, I get this place likes to keep things clean.  But ummmm....WOW!

Yet, I can say "Please, Please Me" all I want?   ;) ;D

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 07:11:51 PM »

Next up... who da feck is yoko ono..  ;D

day tripper yeah

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 02:56:53 PM »

On Big brother about 6yrs ago a contestant had to name the other Beatle apart from J P & G. She didn't know and so just guessed... 'Bono'!
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »

After the big Heather divorce all over the papers, who wouldnt know who is Sir Paul? ;D But yes, like JMF said our generation "is not the smartest bunch" - I have a friend who didnt know who Paul was let alone who the Beatles were till I told her (not to be rude or anything, but she was from the Eastern part of the world, where I would imagine The Beatles were not so popular or at least their popularity did not carry through)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 06:45:05 AM »

(not to be rude or anything, but she was from the Eastern part of the world, where I would imagine The Beatles were not so popular or at least their popularity did not carry through)

They were very popular there...

Doesn't the blood rush to your head?

Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 06:52:00 AM »

That's right sir, they are glasses sir
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 82 queries.