Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Well Well Well  (Read 3586 times)

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
Well Well Well
« on: February 27, 2005, 08:48:37 PM »

I heard this song and I am addicted to it.  It is such a good song.  It's wierd because it is so different from what John usually does.  I was wondering when he wrote this song and everyone's opinion on it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Well Well Well
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 01:24:24 AM »

I like 'Well Well Well' a lot. I'm not sure exactely when he wrote the song, but i'll gather it was sometime in early 1970 since it was on 'POB'.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 06:17:21 AM »

Quote from: Wordno
It's wierd because it is so different from what John usually does.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 08:45:01 AM »

Quote from: Ydoll_Gwyn

So different? Seems classic John Lennon to me.

Yeah, I agree with this also.

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 09:28:31 PM »

Hmm...I guess I haven't listen to enough solo John Lennon songs.  I thought most of his songs were love songs like Woman, Jelous Guy etc.  

John@work

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 10:08:55 PM »

I like this song on his acoustic cd.  Very nice.
A working class hero is something to be...

John Lennon

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 08:08:24 AM »

to be honest, ive not listened to much of lennon's solo stuff either apart from the mainstream stuff ...

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 08:31:45 AM »

Quote from: Mr_Kite
to be honest, ive not listened to much of lennon's solo stuff either apart from the mainstream stuff ...

You needn't bother. After New York City its all downhill. Mind Games and Walls and Bridges are lame.
Double Fantasy was the biggest dissapointment of my Beatle life. We waited five years for the maestros come back, and that was the best he could do! and after all those years of really slagging Paul off for writing comfy-rock he does the same himself.
A pox on it
don't follow leaders

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 10:42:12 AM »

Quote from: Mr_Kite

Same here.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 05:29:40 AM »

Quote from: kevin_b

You needn't bother. After New York City its all downhill. Mind Games and Walls and Bridges are lame.
Double Fantasy was the biggest dissapointment of my Beatle life. We waited five years for the maestros come back, and that was the best he could do! and after all those years of really slagging Paul off for writing comfy-rock he does the same himself.
A pox on it

I really like 'Mind Games'. The whole album is a decent listen. One of the few that can play straight through for me. 'Walls and Bridges' was ok, and I guess i'll go for three in a row, because I really like 'Double Fantasy' too. Yoko's stuff wasnt even death inducing. To each his own I suppose.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 08:25:24 AM »

We'd all waited 5 years while John sat in his self imposed exile.
In 1980 the New Wave revolution was sweeping through music, making so many 70's acts redundant.
And to me thats what Double Fantasy was-irrelevant. For an artist of his stature the album was just plain ordinary.
I wish wish wish he'd got a decent band behind him, or put out an accoustic album.
Yoko's songs at least had some contempary edge to them. John sounded like what he was, some old guy out of touch with what was going on around him.
Like I said, for me it was a huge dissapointment, and that has coloured my views on that album ever since.
Mind Games is OK, but i expect more than OK from an ex-Beatle.
don't follow leaders

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 09:36:23 AM »

Quote from: kevin_b
And to me thats what Double Fantasy was-irrelevant. For an artist of his stature the album was just plain ordinary.

Oh, I dont know kevin. I think the production is second to none. No Lennon album has sounded this crisp (and I like this compared to his other muddy albums). It had some great songs also in my opinion. '(Just Like) Starting Over', 'Clean Up Time' (one of my favorites), 'I'm Losing You', 'Beautiful Boy' (another favorite of my wife and I), etc,,,. I felt the material was strong.

I wish wish wish he'd got a decent band behind him, or put out an accoustic album.

My God. He had Tony Levin on bass, Hugh McCraken on guitar, and Andy Newmark on drums (along with others, but this was the base band). I challenge you to find better studio musicians than these.

John sounded like what he was, some old guy out of touch with what was going on around him.

Did you want him to pretend he was something else? Like you said, he put himself out there as he was.

Like I said, for me it was a huge dissapointment, and that has coloured my views on that album ever since.

This is cool also. Thats whats cool about music. We all perceive it differently. Makes for good conversation. If we all agreed and liked the same things,,,,it would be pretty boring around here.

Mind Games is OK, but i expect more than OK from an ex-Beatle.

Then you must have been pretty disappointed with a bunch of the Beatles solo stuff. I consider 'Mind Games' to be easily better than half their entire catalogue.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 09:52:00 AM »

^ Thanks for your thoughts tkitna. Well put.
When I said "decent band" I meant coopting an existing band (like Elephants Memory in STINYC ) rather than using session musicians. I think maybe they were a bit too slick for the time.
And yes, I have been very dissapointed with Beatles solo careers-if I wasn't a Beatle freak I think the only ones worth having are Platic Ono Band and All Things Must Pass (maybe Band on the Run and Imagine), though I confess to having stopped listening to them seriously in 1980. (Rotogravure and Back to the Egg finally killed my passion)
I also admit that my opinions on Double Fantasy are coloured by how I felt at the time. I was listening to Talking Heads, Joy Division et al and along comes John with an album about how how much he loves his wife and kid. Maybe I should listen to it again (haven't since '80) and see if it or I have changed.
don't follow leaders

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 10:10:49 AM »

Yeah, I get where your coming from. I'll be honest and say that I wasnt really listening to solo Beatle stuff in the 80's either. I did, but not deep and serious. It was tough enough to pick up girls when your in middle school, let alone trying to woo them with Ringo. Wasnt going to happen.

Oh well, good points all around and no arguing. This has been different. Kudos Kev.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 10:14:31 AM »

Quote from: tkitna
It was tough enough to pick up girls when your in middle school, let alone trying to woo them with Ringo. Wasnt going to happen.

^ :D
don't follow leaders

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 04:13:06 PM »

TK, did'nt Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick also play on D.F.? I think I read somewhere that Rick had come to the sessions with hopes of talking to John  About the Beatles and especially his guitar collection, But John just brought out a couple of his old guitars and just blew Nielsen off.

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 05:40:15 PM »

Quote from: RICKENBACKER325
TK, did'nt Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick also play on D.F.? I think I read somewhere that Rick had come to the sessions with hopes of talking to John

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 06:50:14 PM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm

You can hear his version of "I'm Losing You" with Rick, Tom Petterson, and Bun E. Carlos on the boxed set or the 'Wonsopoatime' CD.

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 11:15:15 PM »

Quote from: RICKENBACKER325

LOL :D........ I dont doubt! Thanks JR, I'll check their version out. I have both disc's. I think I just forgot about

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2005, 12:42:35 AM »

Yeah, I had always read that John thought they were a great band and great players too, but alas,,,,the slant eyed satan struck again.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 85 queries.