Other forums > Current Affairs

What do you think about the iraq war

<< < (6/6)

Kevin:
No and no? (and if I had to put my money on it I'd agree)
C'mon China. The world needs someone to balance the books.
What gets me is that I was so full of hope when the Berlin Wall came down. The Cold War was won, progressives were  in control of the west, democratic captilism seemed the only way the world could go....and look where we've ended up.
Can it be true that we actually need (maybe as a species require) conflict?

harihead:
We do not need conflict and I will argue to the death with you over that!!!

...wait...

Kevin:

--- Quote from: 551 ---We do not need conflict and I will argue to the death with you over that!!!

...wait...
--- End quote ---

:)

WaMoZ:
I think this thread would be better titled "How do you think World War 3 is progressing?", because that's really what's been unfolding since 911 and the Dubya Shrub administration's catastrophic mismanagement of the aftermath. I think the invasion of Afghanistan was the right response to 911, but going into Iraq was a mad idea. Of course, the incompetent DS administration was bent on kicking out Saddam from the start, because of its fixation with controling oil supply. So any excuse was enough. Then we had the DS actually mentioning the word "crusade", at which point he and his whole lame-assed mob should have been kicked out of the White House, and replaced with people who could possibly repudate what was in effect a declaration of war on the whole Muslim religion. The basic problem is that it is simply impossible to wage and win this kind of war with conventional military means in the long term. From the get-go the best response would have been to examine the issues behind terrorism, and devise a strategy to "drain the swamp". I'm no expert, but to me a good start would have been to fix the intelligence failure which led to 911, and to strengthen ties to the Middle East by talking to moderate governments and NGOs. I can't see how the current situation will improve within many years. Pakistan and Afghanistan are in a hopeless mess, Iraq continues to suck up valuable resources, Syria and Iran are enjoying a free ride, and US support of Israel against the Palestinians is a still festering grievance stoking Muslim hatreds. I just hope the next US administration can find a way forward, because there is no end in sight for WWIII.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version