Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rest In Peace, Lou Reed  (Read 2610 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Rest In Peace, Lou Reed
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lou-reed-velvet-underground-leader-and-rock-pioneer-dead-at-71-20131027

sh*t, devastating news. He was a true hero of mine, his music changed my life like few other artists' has. Just 2 days ago I was posting about the 2008 Berlin concert-film in the "Top 500 Albums" thread. Just last week I told a friend of mine that 'Heroin' by The Velvet Underground may just be my all-time favourite song.

I'll be posting more about him maybe the next couple of days, as I haven't got the energy right now.

http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Rest In Peace, Lou Reed
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 08:58:56 PM »

RIP Lou.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 10:45:10 PM »

הוא יחסר

He will be missed.
I can stay till it's time to go

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 06:38:44 AM »

As someone with an almost unhealthy obsession with The Velvet Underground's 3rd LP (which I'm playing now) this news is about as welcome as the weather in London this morning.

As an aside, this must now officially make Van Morrison the moodiest and most bad-tempered living pop musician in the world. Well done, Van!

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:27:21 AM »

The piece on Lou was going so well in the 'Metro' newspaper until.....

'In his later years, Reed continued to break new ground, recording The Raven - a concept album about Edgar Allen Poe - and collaborations with Metallica and Lulu.'

Never, ever over-estimate what people (even those writing obituaries in a national newspaper) know about pop music. They'll know a lot less.

KelMar

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 06:51:46 PM »

As an aside, this must now officially make Van Morrison the moodiest and most bad-tempered living pop musician in the world. Well done, Van!

From what I've heard I think you're right.

Never, ever over-estimate what people (even those writing obituaries in a national newspaper) know about pop music. They'll know a lot less.

I have to admit I don't know a lot about Lou Reed other than the basics. I really liked this song when I first heard it here on the forum several years ago though. It's the one and only Velvet Underground song in my collection:

http://youtu.be/CGqwy_DQnS4

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 06:37:51 AM »

You need more than that and, despite having such a short career, there is now a lot of Velvets product out there.

Personally, all the 'influential to Roxy Music, Bowie, punk etc. etc.' angle passes me by (who cares?) - I just listen to the records as I listen to The Small Faces' records; they shouldn't be blamed for all the dire stuff they influenced!

The two jewels, for me, are 'White Light/White Heat' and the 3rd LP (just called 'Velvet Underground').
'Nico' (still brilliant) is dragged down slightly by its huge reputation - not unlike 'Sgt. Pepper's'.

Some swear by it, but 'Loaded' I can live without, although the deluxe version does have some great demos from '69 on it, like the brilliant 'Ocean'.

I can't honestly say I've owned a Lou Reed solo record, 'cos I haven't!

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 04:40:50 AM »

You need more than that and, despite having such a short career, there is now a lot of Velvets product out there.

Okay...I've got the self-titled album queued up on You Tube. I'll start there.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 06:33:53 PM »

Apparently there's a 3-CD version (with the mono cut) of 'White Light/White Heat' out in December that's currently got the asking price of £53.
If that gets halved, I might think about it - otherwise I'll make do with my £4.99, perfectly adequate, copy.
Two questions: (1) Are these 'deluxe' versions of old albums keeping the record industry afloat in 2013?
(2) Who buys them?

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 02:29:54 AM »

We played Take a Walk on the Wild Side, in my dance class as a tribute (not that it is a danceable song....)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 60 queries.