Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: All You Need is Love Video Questions  (Read 4915 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
All You Need is Love Video Questions
« on: July 29, 2008, 06:29:15 AM »

I had never seen this version of the video. The ending is completely different. Can somebody PLEASE tell me if that's Keith Moon at the very end of the video and more importantly, is he playing the drums along with Ringo???!! Or am I losing my mind. And if he is, I may lose my mind because that would just be too cool. And also, how on earth hasn't this ever been discussed. It he in fact is playing along with Ringo. Which it apparently looks like he IS doing. It's right after the: She loves you yeah, yeah, yeah, part.
rLxTpsIVzzo
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
Re: All You Need is Love Video Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 06:33:26 AM »

It looks like Keith to me!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 06:36:14 AM »

I've already watched it about five times and I have no doubt in my mind that it's Keith. I can tell just by the way he moves his arms. BUT...is he actually playing along with them?????  Because, oh my God. And why isn't this something that's mentioned ever??? And HA to those who say he couldn't play with any other band but the Who! Unless I'm wrong that he's playing which in that case HA to me.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 03:25:40 PM »

You can see him again at the far right of the screen in the crowd just to Ringo's left at about 1:10 -1:16. Not sure who it is, or what he's playing, if anything. Dunno, really.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 03:39:56 PM »

You're right! Good eye. I wonder if you can see it on the Anthology DVD. Guess I gotta watch it now! I watched this one full screen and he's either playing something or pretending to play something cuz he's got drumsticks and his arms are moving up and down to the beat. Why he would be pretending is beyond me though, but it is Keith Moon. But if he isn't, then I don't understand why this wouldn't be something a little more significant. And with all the Beatles knowledge here I figure someone probably knows something about this. Maybe they just don't feel like answering. I tried looking it up, but it only lists him as chorus. I would just find it really fascinating if they actually did let him play with them on a live performance. And if he is playing, can his drumming be heard on the recording??

Ever hear the story of when Moon asked to join them? Jokingly of course, but still pretty bold!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 05:41:38 PM »

Well, I finally found something that at least eluded to it:

The following Sunday, June 25, the first live round-the-world satellite television broadcast aired, with entertainers from 26 countries performing during the course of the two-hour event. The Beatles represented Britain, and their performance of

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 09:42:15 PM »

I'm not sure how much of the live performance is on the record; The Beatles were playing with a pre-recorded backing track:

# It was decided early on that the song would be played and sung "live" to a pre-recorded backing track, the scope of the production being so vast. On June 14, a guide track was laid down featuring John on harpsichord, Paul on bass violin, George on violin, and Ringo on tambourine. Drums, piano, and John on lead vocal and banjo were overdubbed on the 19th, along with some editing; orchestral overdubs along with additional instruments were added on the 23rd and 24th.
# Finally, this mix was played during the live broadcast on the 25th, with John singing lead, Paul on bass, Ringo on drums, George on lead guitar, and a small live orchestra. Uncomfortable with his nervous performance, John recut his lead vocal a few hours later, away from cameras; the next day Ringo's drum roll was added as an intro and a final mix was made. This is the mix we know as the hit single.

http://oldies.about.com/od/thebeatlessongs/a/allyouneedlove.htm

I'll bet Mark Lewisohn's cleared it all up, but I haven't got copies of his books with me here.  :)

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:23:19 PM »

I definately noticed Mick Jagger in that :)
Must say though, nice vid, it definately made my day a little bit better!

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 03:18:43 AM »

Quote from: 1161
I'm not sure how much of the live performance is on the record; The Beatles were playing with a pre-recorded backing track:

# It was decided early on that the song would be played and sung "live" to a pre-recorded backing track, the scope of the production being so vast. On June 14, a guide track was laid down featuring John on harpsichord, Paul on bass violin, George on violin, and Ringo on tambourine. Drums, piano, and John on lead vocal and banjo were overdubbed on the 19th, along with some editing; orchestral overdubs along with additional instruments were added on the 23rd and 24th.
# Finally, this mix was played during the live broadcast on the 25th, with John singing lead, Paul on bass, Ringo on drums, George on lead guitar, and a small live orchestra. Uncomfortable with his nervous performance, John recut his lead vocal a few hours later, away from cameras; the next day Ringo's drum roll was added as an intro and a final mix was made. This is the mix we know as the hit single.

I'll bet Mark Lewisohn's cleared it all up, but I haven't got copies of his books with me here.  :)

I thought some of what they were playing live made it on. Like George's guitar solo? I guess if it were anything significant, it would be noted in books and stuff. I just can't believe I never spotted him there before! Just seeing Moon in a Beatles video sitting next to Ringo "drumming" makes me happy as a clam! I love how he managed to muscle his way in there somehow! Charmer.  ;D

From Wiki:
Moon once approached the Beatles' table at a London nightclub. "Can I join you?" he asked. "Yeah, sure," said Starr, as he pulled up a seat for Moon. Moon then said, "No, can I join you?", implying that he wanted to join the band. Ringo replied with, "No, we've already got a drummer."

Heh. I love that.  ;D

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 03:31:44 AM »

OMG, at about 1:21, right as Ringo's getting his big close up, Moon does the drumstick twirl! That's just too great! I love how you can see Moon's hands in there drumming right through Ringo's moment. It's so obvious. Again, how I never noticed that is beyond me! Ringo must have loved him! Sharing his drums and all. So cool of him!

Okay, I'm done! I think.  :B Forgot there aren't many Who fans around here anymore!  :'(

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 03:47:53 AM »

Quote from: 216
Moon once approached the Beatles' table at a London nightclub. "Can I join you?" he asked. "Yeah, sure," said Starr, as he pulled up a seat for Moon. Moon then said, "No, can I join you?", implying that he wanted to join the band. Ringo replied with, "No, we've already got a drummer."

;D
Great story; thanks.

Actually, I'm not sure at all how much of the backing track was used in the final mix. It may have been very little. I just raise the question because the recording as we have it is a composite of studio and live performances, and the possibility of Moon's presence on the track would in part depend on how much of the drums came from the "Our World" performance. I'll have to go scrounge a Mark Lewisohn, I guess.  :)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 03:59:48 AM »

Quote from: 216
Forgot there aren't many Who fans around here anymore!  :'(

Er, count me as a rekindled Who fan: I bought The Ultimate Collection and Who's Next a week or so ago and have been playing them both ever since. Overexposure on rock radio killed those guys for me years ago, but I haven't heard a straight rock station in years now, too, and the old distaste has quite gone away.  8)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 04:54:03 AM »

so now you are deleting my posts sondra????i don't think anybody that biased should have that type of authority....and if you don't stop deleting my post...i will ask that you be removed as a moderator....i simply provided you with information...that was what you requested wasn't it???

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 05:07:41 AM »

Quote from: 284
so now you are deleting my posts sondra????i don't think anybody that biased should have that type of authority....and if you don't stop deleting my post...i will ask that you be removed as a moderator....i simply provided you with information...that was what you requested wasn't it???

What are you talking about? What posts do you think I deleted? I haven't deleted any posts at any time. Why don't you ask me first before accusing. If I felt the need to delete anything, I'd say it to you, I wouldn't do it behind your back. And why would I delete a post with information? I don't get you sometimes.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 05:09:16 AM »

i have pmed dmitry....

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 05:09:53 AM »

Good.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 05:14:59 AM »

and what of mairis post you deleted????

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 05:19:32 AM »

What are you talking about? Can you be more specific. Because, I don't go around deleting ANYTHING unless it's obscene or spam. I must have deleted one or two posts since being a mod and not by any of the regulars. If I deleted something by mistake, I'd say so. I haven't deleted anything today, yesterday, or for the last few months. I don't appreciate the way you're just accusing me of things without even having the courtesy of asking me or pming me. Just because you're holding some old grudge.

And if Mairi thinks I deleted a post, then she should ask me.

BTW, you did this a couple of months ago with another mod. Started randomly accusing them of things they didn't do. I'm sorry I ever stuck up for you now. I'm beginning to think all you're doing is trying to stir things up. I say this because if you REALLY had an issue with a mod, you would be responsible and PM them and ask. That's what rational people do. Instead you choose to make your accusations public. Why? So you can try to make others believe we're all power hungry, irresponsible mods that delete or edit on a whim. That's the only reason I can think of for your behavior. And I resent it.

And thanks for ruining my thread.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 03:50:59 PM »

Quote from: 1161

Should we be skeptical about all this, as it's been said before that Ringo couldn't do a proper drum roll?

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 04:08:43 PM »

Quote from: 568
Should we be skeptical about all this, as it's been said before that Ringo couldn't do a proper drum roll?

Sez who? George Martin?  ;D

But of course we should be skeptical; I want to find Mark Lewisohn's take on this.  :)

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 80 queries.