Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A Day & No 9  (Read 1869 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
A Day & No 9
« on: September 08, 2021, 04:07:58 PM »

I don't know.  I think "A day in the life" and "Revolution 9" are somehow congruous.

It's like the aftermath of the crazy orchestral closing of "A day" could wait a few minutes and then let "Rev 9" start up.

Well, I'm not about to try this but maybe I will at a later time.

Is there any merit to this idea, do you think?
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: A Day & No 9
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 11:56:18 PM »

I don't know.  I think "A day in the life" and "Revolution 9" are somehow congruous.

It's like the aftermath of the crazy orchestral closing of "A day" could wait a few minutes and then let "Rev 9" start up.

Well, I'm not about to try this but maybe I will at a later time.

Is there any merit to this idea, do you think?

Haha possibly Loco, personally I wouldnt care if I never heard R9 again. But I get your point.

People rave about ADITL but to me the only "great" parts are Johns verses which are beautiful. I actually dont like the orchestral build ups. The first one is a kind of cheapish way to join two totally different songs together. I dont see anything great about it. Pauls middle bit for me is just that, a bit of a song.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 10:00:29 AM »

I think there is a link Loco. The orchestral part of ADITL has a sound picture quality to it. It’s not musical in the sense we’d think of. It’s a noise to create an emotional link between verses and the middle section of the track. And George Martin was experienced in creating noise soundtracks to accompany scripts for his comedy records before he even met the Beatles.  In a way Rev 9 is just John taking this idea further. It’s all soundtrack and no script.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 08:46:24 PM »

Thanks, Moogmodule:  I need to reflect upon your comment re: an emotional link between verses and the middle section.  I don't understand this clearly as yet.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 09:34:03 PM »

I think there is a link Loco. The orchestral part of ADITL has a sound picture quality to it. It’s not musical in the sense we’d think of. It’s a noise to create an emotional link between verses and the middle section of the track. And George Martin was experienced in creating noise soundtracks to accompany scripts for his comedy records before he even met the Beatles.  In a way Rev 9 is just John taking this idea further. It’s all soundtrack and no script.

Im struggling with the emotional link Moog. They had a minute between songs and thought of the orchestral build up, just to fill the minute. I thought it was a bit crappy tbh. Ive heard quite a few prog bands do similar on their albums. just linking songs together.

I wish John had completed his beautiful song differently, his melody and lyrics were outstanding on that.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 09:49:25 PM »

I think of it as a link between the dreamlike aura of John’s verses and the straightforward wide awake bounce of Paul’s middle. To me the orchestra flourish is like someone arising from a dream. Very chaotic and disorienting. I don’t think the song would have worked as well with just any link. The orchestra let’s people move between two very different songs, to me anyway, with less of a feeling that they’ve just randomly pasted together two songs.

I admit I do love ADITL as a recorded and arranged piece. The heart is of course John’s lovely verses which are brilliant. But I think it did need something in addition. 

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 46 queries.