Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Who is the better drummer?  (Read 9328 times)

glass onion

• Getting Better
Re: Who is the better drummer?
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2009, 07:29:02 PM »

hi tkitna-glass onion here.i don't mean to come across as 'a pro drummer'as such,but basically drumming is how i make a living.i haven't recorded anything you may have heard!and trust me,as a drummer i don't think i kick anyones' arse in particular.defo not mr.purdie or mr.porcaros' anyhow!!i have the greatest respect for any drummer who is serious about their playing.i consider all of the players mentioned in this forum as great,great players.....you normally find that drummers are the most humble of any band.(apart from pretty purdie-and buddy rich,but when you have something to be big headed about)......anyway,who was your fave wings drummer-and why?
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2009, 01:20:35 AM »

Quote from: 1594
hi tkitna-glass onion here.i don't mean to come across as 'a pro drummer'as such,but basically drumming is how i make a living.i haven't recorded anything you may have heard!and trust me,as a drummer i don't think i kick anyones' arse in particular.defo not mr.purdie or mr.porcaros' anyhow!!i have the greatest respect for any drummer who is serious about their playing.i consider all of the players mentioned in this forum as great,great players.....you normally find that drummers are the most humble of any band.(apart from pretty purdie-and buddy rich,but when you have something to be big headed about)......anyway,who was your fave wings drummer-and why?

Great reply. You replied like a drummer would and I appreciate that.

As for my favorite Wings drummer, it would probably be Joe English. I loved his work on the live album and I always felt he was really tasteful with his playing. He also sounded the best in my opinion, but that was probably due to production as much as anything. I like Denny Seiwells playing a lot also and Geoff Brition who is rarely mentioned. I'm also a huge fan of 'Back To The Egg' so I have to mention Steve Holley. I thought his drumming kicked ass on that album, but with just one record, there just isnt enough quantity to consider him.

So, as you can see, I really like all of them, but my final answer would be Joe English.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 01:17:42 PM »

yeah...i think i agree on that one man.geoff britton tends to be forgotten,did he only play on the one single-or is there more with him on the kit?must confess to not knowing a lot about him other than he didn't like a toke-which was obviously a no-no in any paul band.stevie holley comes close...such tasty playing on back to the egg,as i have stated beforehand.also one of my top wings albums.i suppose you really can't knock joe english-real good drumming all round,live and studio.also his sound-good production really helps,as you probably know from playing yourself.but to sound good obviously the playing has to be there in the first place.denny seiwell was great too,but always seemed to lack a little something-maybe lacked a little energy?i dunno.....also his drum sound wasn't my thing personally but as i say maybe that was the fashion of the early 70's.

Ged

• A Beginning
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2009, 04:10:14 PM »

Pro may sound a bit pretentious but I mean I get paid for it though it's not my main job, so I do the local circuits and have done since back in 81. One of the first things that struck me as an impressionable young drummer was Joe English's solid beat and some great fills. I love Genesis too because of Collins and Thompson and although I love Floyd, I see them as more guitar orientated than drums.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 08:02:35 PM »

yeah...i think i agree on that one man.geoff britton tends to be forgotten,did he only play on the one single-or is there more with him on the kit?must confess to not knowing a lot about him other than he didn't like a toke-which was obviously a no-no in any paul band.stevie holley comes close...such tasty playing on back to the egg,as i have stated beforehand.also one of my top wings albums.i suppose you really can't knock joe english-real good drumming all round,live and studio.also his sound-good production really helps,as you probably know from playing yourself.but to sound good obviously the playing has to be there in the first place.denny seiwell was great too,but always seemed to lack a little something-maybe lacked a little energy?i dunno.....also his drum sound wasn't my thing personally but as i say maybe that was the fashion of the early 70's.

Geoff only played on 4 Wings songs. Junior's Farm, Medicine Jar, Letting Go and Love In Song.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2009, 09:35:37 PM »

Quote from: 682

Geoff only played on 4 Wings songs. Junior's Farm, Medicine Jar, Letting Go and Love In Song.

If anyone has seen 'One Hand Clapping' you can see him playing a lot there.

And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2009, 09:40:37 PM »

The one thing about Denny that is etched in my mind is how Paul set up a real sh*tty drum set for him and he told somebody that if Denny could possibly sound good on that kit,,,he was hired. Well, we know how that went.

As for his sound, yeah, a lot of the 70's tended to have that carboard sound to the drums. You know, the lack of resonant heads and all.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2009, 09:44:20 PM »

Quote from: 1624
Pro may sound a bit pretentious but I mean I get paid for it though it's not my main job, so I do the local circuits and have done since back in 81. One of the first things that struck me as an impressionable young drummer was Joe English's solid beat and some great fills. I love Genesis too because of Collins and Thompson and although I love Floyd, I see them as more guitar orientated than drums.

Phils playing in the earlier Gabriel era Genesis is nothing short of amazing. I laugh anytime somebody caps on Phils playing.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2009, 08:46:19 AM »

Quote from: 1916

If anyone has seen 'One Hand Clapping' you can see him playing a lot there.

Good point but I meant as in actual released songs.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2009, 04:36:57 AM »

Okay.  So here's my completely random, meaningless youtube "Jet" drumming challenge.

Paul McCartney 1973 (studio)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWREAaIqs8Y&amp;feature=PlayList&amp;p=2A0FC9070BD4C6F6&amp;playnext=1&amp;index=8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWREAaIqs8Y&amp;feature=PlayList&amp;p=2A0FC9070BD4C6F6&amp;playnext=1&amp;index=8</a>

Joe English 1976
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFjTN11CnNY&amp;feature=PlayList&amp;p=D548DF4231696A4E&amp;playnext=1&amp;index=2" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFjTN11CnNY&amp;feature=PlayList&amp;p=D548DF4231696A4E&amp;playnext=1&amp;index=2</a>

Chris Witten 1987
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ7w-wt38l8&amp;feature=PlayList&amp;p=621601681C7F8506&amp;index=10" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ7w-wt38l8&amp;feature=PlayList&amp;p=621601681C7F8506&amp;index=10</a>

Chris Witten 1990
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoYL6Kb1L9g" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoYL6Kb1L9g</a>

Abe Laboriel Jr 2004
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a8PaZmiCkc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a8PaZmiCkc</a>

Denny Seiwell 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q4kiRBMnIs&feature=related (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Different bands, different eras, different approaches, hard to say.  But Joe and Abe are pretty much neck and neck.  Joe's got more band to work with (or against) but Abe rocks the house (a little heavy maybe, but this song can take it).  

liliom

• A Beginning
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2009, 02:09:46 PM »

Denny lacked of energy? Listen to Ram sessions "rode all night"! anyway paul needs a drummer who play right from the beginning at the end of each songs and Abe does'nt know doing that just listen "In Liverpool " in concert paul begins on acoustic and abe doesn't play at the right tempo!

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2009, 07:40:29 PM »

well i did say he MAYBE lacked A LITTLE energy.although i do not doubt for a minute he was a cracking player.it does sound like paul playing drums on some tracks on ram-did denny play drums on all of the ram songs?as for saying abe made a mistake at the liverpool gig-crikey,we all make the odd mistake here and there do we not?paul has made mistakes on some beatle recordings,that's for sure.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2009, 03:04:42 AM »

Quote from: 1643

anyway paul needs a drummer who play right from the beginning at the end of each songs and Abe does'nt know doing that just listen "In Liverpool " in concert paul begins on acoustic and abe doesn't play at the right tempo!

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2009, 01:12:26 PM »

ha ha!!i know exactly what you are thinkin there tkitna!!lol!!!what a cracking,cracking answer!!made my bloody day that has.tell me though mate-is it denny seiwell on all of the ram album?uncle albert/admiral halsey sounds like macca drumming,perhaps the other odd track-cannot think without visiting the album again.monkberry moon delight could well be paul drumming. i am actually expectin a call from macca-i don't think he's that happy with abes' tempo keeping.

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »

Quote from: 9
Okay.  So here's my completely random, meaningless youtube "Jet" drumming challenge.

Paul McCartney 1973 (studio)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWREAaIqs8Y&feature=PlayList&p=2A0FC9070BD4C6F6&playnext=1&index=8

Joe English 1976
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFjTN11CnNY&feature=PlayList&p=D548DF4231696A4E&playnext=1&index=2

Chris Witten 1987
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ7w-wt38l8&feature=PlayList&p=621601681C7F8506&index=10

Chris Witten 1990
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoYL6Kb1L9g

Abe Laboriel Jr 2004
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a8PaZmiCkc

Denny Seiwell 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q4kiRBMnIs&feature=related

Different bands, different eras, different approaches, hard to say.  But Joe and Abe are pretty much neck and neck.  Joe's got more band to work with (or against) but Abe rocks the house (a little heavy maybe, but this song can take it).  

After listening to all of them I have to say that Joe is the best of the bunch. His drumming brings so much energy to the song. He is the only one who actually took a different approach to the song and actually did his own thing and made it work. The other ones sound like they're trying to imitate the album version, they don't really stand out. Dare I say it? I will, the other drummers sound too generic on the song.  Also something about Abe on Jet makes the song sound like it lacks energy. Joe defintely had a great style that actually makes the song better than the album version.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2009, 01:09:49 AM »

ha ha!!i know exactly what you are thinkin there tkitna!!lol!!!what a cracking,cracking answer!!made my bloody day that has.tell me though mate-is it denny seiwell on all of the ram album?uncle albert/admiral halsey sounds like macca drumming,perhaps the other odd track-cannot think without visiting the album again.monkberry moon delight could well be paul drumming. i am actually expectin a call from macca-i don't think he's that happy with abes' tempo keeping.

You know, i'm not 100% sure if Denny played on every tune during the RAM sessions, but i'm pretty sure he played them on 'Uncle Albert'. I'd have to dig a few books out to know for sure, but i'll search around on the net first.

Ok, I found it. Denny did play the drums on the song, but Paul showed him what to play. Lol. So does that count?

Here's the article-
http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_paul_mccartneys_uncle/

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2009, 01:21:54 AM »

I just read that article again and I misunderstood. Paul didnt show Denny what to play, he just showed him and the other musicians the song itself. My bad.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • &quot;The dude abides.&quot;
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2009, 01:41:02 AM »

Quote from: 403

After listening to all of them I have to say that Joe is the best of the bunch. His drumming brings so much energy to the song. He is the only one who actually took a different approach to the song and actually did his own thing and made it work. The other ones sound like they're trying to imitate the album version, they don't really stand out. Dare I say it? I will, the other drummers sound too generic on the song.  Also something about Abe on Jet makes the song sound like it lacks energy. Joe defintely had a great style that actually makes the song better than the album version.

I have to agree.  Joe's a real madman on that set.  A force of nature.  Not to put any of the other guys down.  But he looks like a combination John Bonham-Keith Moon.  Too bad he and Paul fell out (?)

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2009, 12:46:38 PM »

ok!!thanks for that tkitna,it puts me straight.i do think that denny seiwell actually drums like paul does.similar styles,maybe that is why paul liked his playing?will have a look at the article.thanks!denny used to play a rosewood gretsch with the stop sign badges-i had one exactly the same up to around a year ago.the toms were great,but i never got on with the bass drum.bit of useless,useless info for you there.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2009, 01:21:20 AM »

ok!!thanks for that tkitna,it puts me straight.i do think that denny seiwell actually drums like paul does.similar styles,maybe that is why paul liked his playing?will have a look at the article.thanks!denny used to play a rosewood gretsch with the stop sign badges-i had one exactly the same up to around a year ago.the toms were great,but i never got on with the bass drum.bit of useless,useless info for you there.

My buddy has a sweet round badge set of Gretsch's and its one of the best sounding sets i've ever heard. I keep asking him to sell them to me, but he wont part with them.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Page created in 0.546 seconds with 82 queries.