Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: best guitarist out of these  (Read 15538 times)

Re: best guitarist out of these
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2006, 06:46:55 PM »

eric clapton is better than george harrison

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2006, 07:35:31 PM »

depends how you look at it.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2006, 06:17:01 AM »

George's guitar playing is very distinct. I mean, it seems to have a certain sound to it. He does a great slide guitar doesn't he? But I think the others stand out more. George won of course cuz he's a Beatle and we're on a Beatle site, but when you're really honest about it, I don't think he'd come out on top. Clapton is incredible. There's no doubt about it. I think the thing that puts him over Dave is that he can play very fast as well. Dave's even admitted that's not his strength. But Dave's playing is so much more emotional. He really conveys feeling in his playing. I like listening to his solos. And I'm not one for solos much. And not just the solos, but the playing through songs like Money, Echoes, or Shine On is mesmerizing. How erie is that intro! Perfect. So anyway, I still go for David Gilmour. I think he's the best singer up there to. I love George on certain songs, but not all. Especially the early stuff. Sorry. Clapton's voice is good for what he does. That blues rock. He sounds like an old blues guy or something.

« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2006, 08:19:43 PM »

^^yep i completley agree especially on the album 'from the cradle' by clapton you can hear his distinctive bluesy old man's voice really well, he has a really unique and brillaint voice for that style of music..harrisons alright i prefer some of the old solos on ealy beatles records ('i saw her standing there') rather than his later solo stuff where he didnt really seem to express him self very well on terms of the guitar..he didnt really show off;he was obviously the right person for the beatles though.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2006, 08:49:23 PM »

I was not there but according to In Blue Hawaii here:
http://dmbeatles.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b-harrison/m-1112247456/

Quote from: MagicAlex
According to Tom Petty, George could also "knock the sh*t out of the blues". Petty was visiting Hari a few years before his death and the two of them started jamming and George just started playing the blues like a madman. When TP asked him why he has never done a blues guitar type record George responded with a wink and a grin "Well Tom, that's Eric's thing"

Maybe George was able to do things we didn't know ...

« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2006, 08:51:45 PM »

lol..secretly hendrix

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2006, 08:59:51 PM »

:D yeah ... he invented wah-wah and feedback ... introduced sitar to the world and played guitar with his feet ... but secretly, of course: it was quiet and modest George! LOL!

P.S. The last part was true ...

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2006, 09:03:24 PM »

I was not there but according to I am the Paulrus here Olivia said about George:
http://dmbeatles.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b-harrison/m-1129790968/

Quote from: I_am_the_Paulrus
..."I just want to appear where I have to. I don't need to say anything about George to present him or preserve him because that's not what he would have wanted. I'm just trying to finish what he started."...

... so let's see ... let's see ...  8)  ;D

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2006, 11:19:08 PM »

i think they should've included The edge. i mean come on, listen to his stuff, thats impressive for one guy to play.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Bobber

« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2006, 07:52:35 AM »

Again, listen to Tommy Emmanuel. Now, THAT's impressive for one man to play. Todd Rundgren about him: "He's the best two guitarists I know."

Soft_Guitar60

• Getting Better
  • surrender to the void
    • Beatlemania
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2006, 06:38:37 PM »

I like George, Pete, Clapton and Gilmour.

Jimmy Page as well. But he's not on the list.

« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2006, 06:58:04 PM »

i love george actually..reminds me of my mate dan ( a reallli good guitarist) he sorta looks a bit like him in a weird way and he likes beatles! he can play blackbird super..anyway georges playing on the live video of i saw her standing there is....genuis

Lostio

• Getting Better
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2006, 01:48:41 AM »

Most talented guitarist out of those is David Gilmour.

Personal favourite is George Harrison.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2006, 12:48:24 AM »

how bout my buddy thats a wicked good guitarist and looks (no lie) like a perfect image of lennon, except with a little more blondish hair
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

« Reply #134 on: December 29, 2008, 06:14:44 PM »

oh c'mon it's obvious that George wins here, and I vote for him, but seriously and technically... Gilmour would top here.

technically:
1.Dave
2.Slowhand
3.Dirty Harri
4.Pete

whoever as a Beatlemaniac George is the man!!! my vote goes for him

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2008, 08:29:12 PM »

Dave = I dont think he's as technically gifted as Clapton, but had his own unique tone and made his guitar make noises that no one was doing at the time
Eric = Technically more gifted than the rest, but just plain dull and once youve heard one Clapton guitar line/solo youve heard them all and never changed up his sound much
Pete = Not as technically good as the two before, more creative than Eric with sounds but not as much as Dave, solid Rhythm player.
George = Not in the same league as these guys imo, decent rhythm player, mediocre solo's, quite creative, i've never understood why he is rated as highly as he is ? is it The Beatles connection ? or its cool to name check him ?

« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2008, 08:40:09 PM »

Quote from: 758
Dave = I dont think he's as technically gifted as Clapton, but had his own unique tone and made his guitar make noises that no one was doing at the time
Eric = Technically more gifted than the rest, but just plain dull and once youve heard one Clapton guitar line/solo youve heard them all and never changed up his sound much
Pete = Not as technically good as the two before, more creative than Eric with sounds but not as much as Dave, solid Rhythm player.
George = Not in the same league as these guys imo, decent rhythm player, mediocre solo's, quite creative, i've never understood why he is rated as highly as he is ? is it The Beatles connection ? or its cool to name check him ?

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! that was a bad one for George from you... WHY? a decent rhythm playing? he wasn't even the rhythm guitarist in The Beatles (Lennon was). mediocre solo's? he made many great solos, why you call it mediocre? of course Paul have made some better solos like taxman or good morning good morning, but to call George's solo's mediocre? YES at least you understand that he was quite creative/versatile guitarist. and when he was rated as guitarist so high? he was underrated, I have never seen him in any high rating, where you have seen it, lol?

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2008, 08:49:32 PM »

Quote from: 1458

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! that was a bad one for George from you... WHY? a decent rhythm playing? he wasn't even the rhythm guitarist in The Beatles (Lennon was). mediocre solo's? he made many great solos, why you call it mediocre? of course Paul have made some better solos like taxman or good morning good morning, but to call George's solo's mediocre? YES at least you understand that he was quite creative/versatile guitarist. and when he was rated as guitarist so high? he was underrated, I have never seen him in any high rating, where you have seen it, lol?

I know Lennon was the rhythm guitarist and George was lead, but i don't rate him much on his riffs/solo's lead work and i think rhythm is his best qaulity thats why i mentioned rhythm

I also think theyre bass player was a better guitarist than him.

I said i Don't understand why he is rated as highly as he is, you say he isnt rated that highly, i still think that is too high, imo he shouldnt be making it into the top 100 guitarist polls.

and i mean the ones where they are judged purely on playing and not on there influence of being one of the first popular lead guitarists in a huge influential band

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2008, 08:59:54 PM »

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2008, 09:06:55 PM »

David Gilmour number 82. Under the likes of Kurt Cobain, Jack White, and Kirk Hammett. That says it all. The list is BS.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Page created in 2.937 seconds with 83 queries.