Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Your favorite lyrics  (Read 3192 times)

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
Your favorite lyrics
« on: January 31, 2010, 11:49:01 PM »

I really like

"Picture, I'm a dreamer, I'll take you deeper, down to the sleepy glow" in 'Every planet we reach is dead' by Gorillaz

and

"The man in the crowd with the multi-colored mirrors on his hob nail boots." in 'Happiness is a Warm Gun' by The Beatles

George does not approve.

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
Re: Your favorite lyrics
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:10:52 AM »

Well, I am going to exclude Beatles lyrics because I could probably find at least one from every song... In fact, I won't be venturing into "legendary" bands/artists

Anyway.

"But love is not these belongings
That surround me
Though there's meaning
In the memories they hold"~Brighter Discontent, The Submarines

"and in the daylight i don’t pick up my phone
cause in the daylight anywhere feels like home"~Daylight, Matt & Kim

"underneath the moon, underneath the stars
heres a little heart for you
up above the world, up above it all
heres a hand to hold on to"~Don't Let Me Fall, Lenka

"Cause if she wants to rock she rocks, if she wants to roll, she rolls. She roll with the punches 'long as she feels like she's in control. And if she wants to stay, she stays, if she wants to go, she goes. She don't care how she gets there 'long as she gets somewhere she knows"~Rock 'N' Roll, Eric Hutchinson

All of That Green Gentlemen by Panic! At The Disco, all of Curbside Prophet by Jason Mraz, and all of Strawberry Swing by Coldplay.

I'm probably forgetting a million.

The name's Emily :)

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 05:55:23 PM »

"Dove nested towers, the hour was strike street quick silver moon. . .

"Surf's Up" by the Beach Boys. What an amazing song.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 07:47:56 PM »

It may be a cliche to say this, but if I can ever write anything a third as good as Mr. Tambourine Man, my life will have meaning.

"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the cricus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow."
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 08:57:16 PM »

"Dove nested towers, the hour was strike street quick silver moon. . .

"Surf's Up" by the Beach Boys. What an amazing song.

Truely amazing. Van Dyke Parks is hands down my all-time favorite lyricist. His lyrics often make no sense (and he'll be the first one to admit that), but they do paint beautiful surrealistic pictures.

Brian Wilson really worked with some great lyricists. Tony Asher was brilliant as well. There aren't many people who can translate deep emotions to simple, straight forward lyrics better than he did on 'Pet Sounds'. And Mike Love's early lyrics are often underrated. He's never been a great artist, but it's hard to deny that he's partially responsible for the mythical image that people around the world have of California.

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 05:17:31 AM »

Truely amazing. Van Dyke Parks is hands down my all-time favorite lyricist. His lyrics often make no sense (and he'll be the first one to admit that), but they do paint beautiful surrealistic pictures.

Brian Wilson really worked with some great lyricists. Tony Asher was brilliant as well. There aren't many people who can translate deep emotions to simple, straight forward lyrics better than he did on 'Pet Sounds'. And Mike Love's early lyrics are often underrated. He's never been a great artist, but it's hard to deny that he's partially responsible for the mythical image that people around the world have of California.

The whole "SMiLE" album is amazing in itself.  I have the Purple Chick version of it which is pretty good and has the "full" version of "Heroes and Villains" with the cantina scene.  But yeah you're totally right, his lyrics take you somewhere so familiar without really taking you there specifically.  Awesome album to listen to blazed.

Tony Asher was an amazing lyricist as you said especially his work on "You Still Believe in Me".  I mean he helped transform a song about childhood into a song about the pains and hardships of relationships that I think all of us at some point feel. I know I did not too long ago. What beauty.

I have to agree with you about Mike Love too.  I have never been to California but I have that mystical view of it with the beautiful, tanned girls and the sun and beach and surfing that I can't wait to someday expereicne.  I hope to one day to catch a wave and be sittin on top of the world someday. What a great band.  I can't believe that the Beach Boys are rarely if ever included in the "best" group discussions. It's always Rollingstones vs. The Beatles but the Beach Boys certainly deserve place in that arguement. 

Eliza

• Getting Better
  • You've got a new horizon It's ephemeral style
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 01:28:46 AM »

Ok mime are

'Made of you and you of me but where are we' Gorillaz O Green World

'I need a gun to keep myself from harm' Gorillaz Dirty Harry

'I'm not gonna let the elevator bring us down' Prince Let's Go Crazy

'Your sex and drugs it's all in your head so f*** all your protest put'em to bed' Marilyn Manson Rock is Dead

'I heard your voice through a photograph I thought and brought up the past' Red Hot Chili Peppers Otherside

For the beatles I can't pick my favorite lyric from a song I would end up putting the whole song down
Put yer tongue away it looks digusting hanging out all pinked and naked!-George Harrison

Love forever, love is free Let's turn forever you and me Windmill, windmill for the land Is everybody in?

MrsHarrison

• A Beginning
  • Have I said something amiss?
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 01:46:39 AM »

"I look from the wings of the play you are staging. - As I'm sitting here doing nothing but aging." While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles.

"Hey you! Out there in the cold, getting lonely, getting old, can you feel me?" Hey You - Pink Floyd

"We were talking-about the love that's gone so cold and the people, who gain the world and lose their soul- they don't know-they can't see-are you one of them?" Within You Without You - The Beatles

"Then nothing sister Mary can do, will keep me here with you." Art of Dying - George Harrison

Breathe In The Air by Pink Floyd is probably the only complete song I enjoy - lyrics wise.

I look from the wings of the play you are staging. As I'm sitting here, doing nothing but aging. While my guitar gently weeps.

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 02:35:01 AM »

"She's often inclined to borrow somebody's dream 'till tomorrow" See Emily Play - Pink Floyd

"We're Just two lost souls swimmin' in a fish bowl, year after year" Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

"And your pleasure knows no limits, your voice is like a meadowlark. But your heart is like an ocean mysterious and dark." One More Cup Of Coffee - Bob Dylan. (I like A LOT of Dylan, so that isn't the only one)

"God is peaking through the blinds, are we all here standing naked, taking guesses at the actual date in time" Live High - Jason Mraz. (I think that whole song is great)

"I don't remember, you lookin' any better, but then again I don't remember you" Who Says - John Mayer

I have a TON more, but this is some.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 02:43:17 AM »

One that comes to mind immediately:

"Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be" from All You Need Is Love

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

HarriGirl_44

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 07:09:04 PM »

You may say that I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one- Imagine - John Lennon

I found it hard, it was hard to find Oh well, whatever, nevermind - Smells like teen spirit - Nirvana

Speaking words of wisdom let it be- Let it be- The Beatles

I want you so badly , It's my biggest wish- Meet me half way- Black eyed peas

Some people wanna fill the world with silly love songs- Silly love songs- Paul McCartney

I have more.

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 68 queries.