Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: My New York experiences with Paul  (Read 15384 times)

My New York experiences with Paul
« on: July 14, 2004, 09:14:30 PM »

I had a couple of encounters with Paul in NYC, but I'm afraid they're not the most pleasant... Here's the first one:

In February of 1993, Paul was doing SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE. I found out the hotel he was staying at, and so my wife and I hung out with about 20 other fans hoping to get an autograph.

Because I was such a lifelong Beatles fan, I stood in the February cold for two days (not consecutively, of course - I went home in between) and what Paul did was play "cat and mouse" with us all day. He would leave the hotel to get in his limo and go for a jog, then return to the hotel. We'd wait three hours, he'd come back out to go to lunch, then come back. Another couple of hours we wait -- he goes out to dinner. He comes back to the hotel, stays a while, goes back out to rehearse at NBC.

To make a long story short, during the course of the two days there'd be as many as 20 people there at some times and as little as 3 at others. Each time, Paul would say "hello!" or "good morning!" but then he'd be off, without stopping.

One time, I jokingly yelled to him (lying): "Please, Paul - I came all the way from Canada!!" -- and as McCartney climbed into the limo, he turned to me and shrugged: "Oh, did ya? I came all the way from England!" - and then the limo sped off!

As it turned out, I actually DID get Paul's authograph that weekend -- but it was only while he was inside the lobby, and he sent his PR man John Hammil outside to collect items for signing. Paul signed them INSIDE the hotel, then the items were returned to us. As Paul left for SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE, he yelled to the crowd: "okay! Everyone got one?!" - and we all said "thank you's". It wasn't the best way to get his autograph, but it was better than nothing!

Re: My New York experiences with Paul
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 09:25:35 PM »

The really bad story occurred in June of 1995 in New York. Once again, I had heard Paul was in town from another Beatles fan I knew. This time it was a private visit, and nothing public. So when we got to the hotel, I figured I was a shoe-in for a close encounter with Mr. McCartney because nobody else knew he was coming and there were only three of us present.

However, the hotel manager begged us not to stay at the hotel. He said, "Paul's here on personal business and says he doesn't want to see any fans here when he arrives".

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 12:42:24 AM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089839670,s=0 date=1089839670]
One time, I jokingly yelled to him (lying): "Please, Paul - I came all the way from Canada!!" -- and as McCartney climbed into the limo, he turned to me and shrugged: "Oh, did ya? I came all the way from England!" - and then the limo sped off![/quote]

That cracked me up! ;D  Great story Joe!

Regarding your 1995 encounter, I reckon you're right about the tension caused by Linda's illness. I'm sure, in hindsight you've forgiven him for being so... erm... off!

At least you got to meet him... TWICE, even if he wasn't in the best of moods!

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 02:57:25 AM »

Wow, that's weird that one girl would follow him around so much....I see no problem in how Paul acted about the situation...he's only human.

I met Paul over a year ago. Well, we didn't meet....I saw him......on the Anthology DVD.....

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 03:24:40 AM »

Who knows what this girl stalking him had done for 20 years...she may well have upset him long ago and he simply did not want to ever see her again.  He was usually pretty accessible.

The cancer may have had something to do with it.

Either way, it's not as if he punched ya or anything. :)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 03:38:50 AM »

Yeah, sorry to hear about his bitterness, but in the second instance, it was pretty clear when the guy said - "Paul's here on personal business and says he doesn't want to see any fans here when he arrives". 

You stayed anyways.

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 10:09:46 AM »

Living in New York, there are many opportunities. The only other time I came close to Paul was in 1992 when I had won tickets on a radio show when he was doing the UP CLOSE show for MTV. I had been calling the station for days, trying to win. Then at 2 am I was the "25th caller"! It's the only time I won anything on the radio.

When I received the tickets, they said "Floor" on them. So I figured, "well, at least the seats are going to be good". When my wife and I got to the Ed Sullivan theatre, we were told that "Floor" meant that we'd have to stand in front of the stage, no sitting.

DO YOU THINK I MINDED???? HELL, NO!!! We were standing throughout the show right up against the stage, just about five feet to Paul's right. I remember I could see the fillings in his teeth when he was singing! This is my happiest achievment as a fan.

I also got to see RIngo at his hotel in 1995, but once again, it wasn't the best experience.
He came and went a couple of times, just mumbling unpleasant things under his breath and rushing past the fans without acknowledging them or signing anything, I'm afraid. Maybe this has something to do with what happened to John, and that this is New York. I don't know.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 01:36:13 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089839670,s=6 date=1089886186]
I also got to see RIngo at his hotel in 1995, he came and went a couple of times, just mumbling unpleasant things under his breath and rushing past the fans without acknowledging them or signing anything. [/quote]

Wow! You have p*ssed off half the Beatles!!! LOL! ;D

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 02:54:32 PM »

Well, all kidding aside, they p*ssed me off :)

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2004, 07:34:30 PM »

You're being to hard on both of them.

They certainly don't OWE anyone anything.

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2004, 08:12:44 PM »

You're being to hard on both of them.

They certainly don't OWE anyone anything.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 09:00:44 PM »

Can you even imagine how it must feel to constantly have people wanting something from you? Everywhere you go there's someone asking for an autograph or picture? I mean even when you're having a bad day or are not feelling the greatest people expect you to smile and do what they want! To have this be your life all of the time 24 hours a day!!! I think Paul and Ringo have handled it well considering how poorly some mediocre stars have behaved. I don't think half of us would be able to handle it so well.

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 09:21:11 PM »

Absolutely -- I've very often thought of how awful it must be to get someone in your face, 24/7, asking for something from you. Man, that's gotta be a real pain -- However, it's part of the job of being famous and they're getting paid a King's Ransom for it. It's give and take. Accepting the bad with the good. Paul could have been a construction worker or a cook - then nobody would even care if he existed, and he could have struggled from paycheck to paycheck to make ends meet, as a working class stiff. However, he chose stardom and I'd bet he doesn't regret it. If you ever see him, ask him which he'd prefer. :)

My job is a thankless one too, and I knew what I was getting into when I took it. Only difference is, I don't get paid nearly the same amount to put up with it.

P.S> I'm just telling my true feelings on the matter. Don't mean to offend anyone. 

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2004, 04:19:44 AM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089839670,s=10 date=1089922364]

I appreciate your frankness, and to be honest I knew this was inevitable from someone. :)

However, I subscribe to the old school of "if I buy your records over the decades, see your movies forever, help to make you what you are, etc.."

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2004, 04:32:51 AM »

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is about bothering these people for autographs and stuff. I live in the L.A. area and occasionally see 'famous' people and it's like exciting for about a second. Then you realize, ok, they're just people eating at a restaurant or shopping for fruit! I'm certainly not going to bother them for my own amusement! I guess it would be great to meet Paul or any other Beatle, but I'd be more excited to see them perform. That's what they do. What am I gonna say? Uh, I love your music. Like they haven't heard that a million and one times before!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2004, 04:34:21 AM »

[quote by=misterchaz link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089839670,s=9 date=1089920070]
And yes, Yoko was quite nice to me when I interviewed her in 87.

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2004, 10:02:15 AM »

***And you'd still be wrong.

There is no "right" or "wrong" here, just opinion.

***Again, your unemployment is neither known to him nor relevant.

It doesn't have to matter to Paul; but it mattered to me back then. And given my situation at the time, it's part of the reason I felt I'm being more "inconvenienced" than he was and can't be expected to think he's got it so bad by my showing up to say hello to him for 10 seconds. That's some "problem"!

***That would be nice.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2004, 01:54:19 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089839670,s=16 date=1089972135]Paul really was wrong to grab the gift from the girl's hand and fling it out the window and onto the street and yell at her. [/quote]

Famous people understand that people are ALWAYS going to ask them for autographs, but obviously some days it's not going to be convenient or maybe they've got out of bed on the wrong side - you've just been unlucky! I'm sure there are millions of fans with great stories to tell - like that homeless hippy who John found living in his garden!

Regarding Paul losing it with that fan and her statue - he was obviously extremely stressed (and we've sumised why) and all of us have days when we throw our dummies out of the pram... luckily WE never make the tabloids!

I walked into a book shop once, and Pete Best happened to be doing a book-signing in there! So I rushed out and bought a camera! When I got back to the shop, he was more than happy to pose for pictures - and even re-posed when the flash didn't work for half of them!!

I have nothing at all against dedicated fans chasing autographs - if I had the time (and patience) I'd probably do the same. And if I happened to be buying fruit next to a Beatle, there is NO WAY I'm not going to dig in my pocket for a pen and paper! :)

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2004, 02:44:06 PM »

1.) You're right.  It's your opinion and your opinion can neither be right or wrong.

2.) The 'p*ssed half of the Beatles' line was funny.  Indicated by smiley.  Lighten up!

3.) Yes, I understand what it would mean to make contact with a hero.  No, I don't think it's up to me to grab the chance.  Perhaps a unique NYC perspective, I don't know. 

4.) I loved the stories and appreciate your posting them.  But by doing so you open yourself up to OTHER'S (non-right and non-wrong) opinions.  You've read mine.

5.) As to the girl I have no comment as I was not there, and agreed, it sounds pretty sh*tty.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2004, 08:30:15 PM »

Sure, it seems so easy: making people happy by just signing your name on a piece of paper. That doesn't seem like such an unpleasant thing to do, right? But Paul McCartney has been herassed by people who want something from him almost non-stop for the last 40 years... I can't blame the guy if he gets fed up with it every once in a while... He's a real person and not a public property.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 77 queries.