Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Messing about on my new Hofner Violin Bass  (Read 7343 times)

nimrod

Messing about on my new Hofner Violin Bass
« on: November 27, 2013, 07:06:11 AM »

Can you spot the Basslines ?

Im impressed with it but the Chinese strings are rubbish Ive already ordered a set of flats to replace them with.

Well known bass lines on new Hofner Violin Bass
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 07:21:36 AM by nimrod »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Messing about on my new Hofner Violin Bass
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 07:32:22 PM »

You really need flats, mate!

Which ones did you order?
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 01:42:43 AM »

XL Chromes Barry, 45 gauge.

last forever.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 03:11:58 AM »

The flat-wounds on my Switchmaster have been on for years, Kev.  They still sound great.

My Hofner came with German Hofner short-scale flats...

G - .040
D - .055
A - .070
E - .100

Here's an interesting piece I read on North Coast Music's website (where I purchased my Hofner):

The October 2005 issue of Bass Player Magazine featured an interview with Paul McCartney. As a part of this interview, McCartney's longtime technical director, Kevin Smith, offered some insights about Paul's Hofner Beatle Bass. Smith explained that Paul McCartney "favors" La Bella flat wound strings for his Beatle Bass, gauged .039, .056, .077, and .096.

As the strings that came on my guitar will last for years, I guess I won't be able to make any comparisons.   ;)

nimrod

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 04:13:24 AM »

Yeah I knew about the La Bellas Baz, theyre on ebay advertised as such

I like the chrome

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »

Can you spot the Basslines ?

Im impressed with it but the Chinese strings are rubbish Ive already ordered a set of flats to replace them with.

Well known bass lines on new Hofner Violin Bass

I'm seriously jealous.

I had a black Rickenbacker 2001 that I sold in the early 90s when in need of funds. I've regretted it ever since and covet classic basses now.

nimrod

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 10:16:50 PM »

I had a Ric not so long ago mate, mine was fireglow, theres a pic of it somewhere, I sold it as I preferred my Fender Bass, and I knew I wouldn't use the very heavy Ric......The Hofner is completely its own animal though, its like nothing else.

What Id love to do if I was clever enough is put a Fender P bass pickup inbetween the two hofner pickups - would it sound a bit like a P bass ?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 11:14:43 PM »

I had a Ric not so long ago mate, mine was fireglow, theres a pic of it somewhere, I sold it as I preferred my Fender Bass, and I knew I wouldn't use the very heavy Ric......The Hofner is completely its own animal though, its like nothing else.

What Id love to do if I was clever enough is put a Fender P bass pickup inbetween the two hofner pickups - would it sound a bit like a P bass ?

The fireglows looked sensational. The Ric was heavy. But I liked the thin neck. Great rocky treble sound.

Not sure what effect a precision bass pickup would have on a hofner.  I'm not sure I'd want to fiddle with a nice instrument to that extent. Maybe if I was rich enough to have a spare  ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 01:07:31 AM »

I think it would still sound like a hollow body, Kev.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 10:46:50 AM »

Yes, labella's all the way. I am lucky now to say I have the Hof, Ric (Blonde) and Fender. Each have their own magic but the Fender is the general duty beauty.

On getting a big 'Beatle' gig I have been toying on whether I need to upgrade the Hof Icon or not. A nice 70's one in the local shop which isn't quite the trim but hard for people to pick on stage. While I decide, I am chewing on whether or not to go for the big purchase or try some tape wounds instead of the flats on my cheaper Hof. Back in the day Macca just bought a cheap Hof and made the whole brand super famous.

http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 11:19:28 PM »

Yes, labella's all the way. I am lucky now to say I have the Hof, Ric (Blonde) and Fender. Each have their own magic but the Fender is the general duty beauty.

On getting a big 'Beatle' gig I have been toying on whether I need to upgrade the Hof Icon or not. A nice 70's one in the local shop which isn't quite the trim but hard for people to pick on stage. While I decide, I am chewing on whether or not to go for the big purchase or try some tape wounds instead of the flats on my cheaper Hof. Back in the day Macca just bought a cheap Hof and made the whole brand super famous.

Pics ?
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 09:43:40 AM »

I havn't used photobucket since I was last on here. Is there another way of loading them up here more efficiently? It's been a while. No worries if not, I'll work it out.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 11:54:22 AM »

I havn't used photobucket since I was last on here. Is there another way of loading them up here more efficiently? It's been a while. No worries if not, I'll work it out.

I'm putting the pics in the Public Folder of my dropbox. Post the provided link between the image brackets and there you are.

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 65 queries.