Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: 2 New Record by Paul next year  (Read 31155 times)

nimrod

Re: 2 New Record by Paul next year
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 11:22:55 PM »

if you think I like everything McCartney does!  One major thing I don't like is his concert setlist, it's been too Beatle heavy since the early 90s!!

taste is a funny old thing  ;D

if I went to see Paul Id want him to sing nothing but Beatle songs  ;D

Todd made a comment recently that 99% of Lennons solo stuff was sh*t, (I think its about 50% is sh*t) but Id say the same about Paul, I actually like about 5% of his total solo output

and yet we all love (and are besotted with) The Beatles, at least we all agree they were the best band ever when they were together, maybe we should not argue about the solo stuff...

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2012, 01:12:22 AM »

However Absurd
From A Lover To A Friend
English Tea
You Gave Me The Answer
Dance Tonight
These are just a few that I absolutely can't stand!  I'm also not into most of the classical stuff, so no I don't like every single thing McCartney does!

I like all of those except for maybe 'Dance Tonight'.  ha2ha

Don't get me wrong, yes the mans voice has changed, but to say that he can't sing is just ridiculous!!

Yeah, I suppose saying he cant sing is a bit harsh, but his voice has weakened to the point that its obvious now and it sounds like sh*t sometimes (My Valentine). Its fine if you want to stand behind some 12 year olds Youtube review, but at some point, even you need to admit the truth.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2012, 01:15:31 AM »

On another note, I listened to his Buddy Holly cover on the new rock cover album, and it sounds like sh*t too.

I dont know. I love Paul and he's been my favorite musician for as long as i've listened to music, but its getting hard for me to find anything he's doing interesting anymore. I'm afraid his last breath of excellence may have been 'Chaos and Creation' and somebody else was there to make the decisions. Take it for what its worth.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2012, 10:34:05 PM »

‘Kisses On The Bottom’

Paul’s tribute to personal favourites & two new self penned compositions out February 6th/7th

On December 19th 2011 Paul announced that February 2012 would see the release of his brand new studio album. Scores of fans then streamed the new original track ‘My Valentine’, many assuming it would be the new record’s title track.  While a few Twitter hints have been dropped and rumours have run rampant, Paul puts an end to speculation today, confirming that the album will indeed be titled ‘Kisses On The Bottom’.

Paul has apparently had some fun with his choice of album title—while causing some confusion amongst those who have historically subjected his every move to microscopic scrutiny (with many fixating on an anatomical interpretation!). The phrase ‘Kisses On The Bottom,’ however, actually comes from the album’s opener ‘I’m Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter’. Originally made a big hit by Fats Waller in 1935, the song opens with the lines ‘I’m gonna sit right down and write myself a letter and make believe it came from you.  I’m gonna write words oh so sweet.  They’re gonna knock me off of my feet.  A lot of kisses on the bottom , I’ll be glad I got ‘em’.

‘Kisses On The Bottom’ is a collection of standards Paul grew up listening to in his childhood as well as the two new McCartney compositions ‘My Valentine’ and ‘Only Our Hearts’.  With the help of Grammy Award-winning producer Tommy LiPuma and Diana Krall and her band—as well as guest appearances from Eric Clapton and Stevie Wonder, McCartney’s new album is a deeply personal journey through classic American compositions that, in some cases, a young Paul first heard his father perform on piano at home.  The full tracklisting reveals that Paul has been both reverent and adventurous in his song choices.

Kisses On The Bottom

01. I’m Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter            02:36

02. Home (When Shadows Fall)                                                                       04:04

03.  It’s Only A Paper Moon                                                                              02:35

04. More I Cannot Wish You                                                                             03:04

05. The Glory Of Love                                                                                       03:46

06. We Three (My Echo, My Shadow And Me)                                            03:22

07. Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive                                                                   02:32

08. My Valentine                                                                                                 03:14

09. Always                                                                                                            03:50

10. My Very Good Friend The Milkman                                                          03:04

11. Bye Bye Blackbird                                                                                        04:26

12. Get Yourself Another Fool                                                                           04:42

13. The Inch Worm                                                                                             03:43

14. Only Our Hearts                                                                                            04:21

Deluxe CD Album will feature two bonus tracks plus access to a download of an exclusive live show (available from Tuesday 14th February via paulmccartney.com), plus longer liner notes and expanded packaging featuring three postcards)

15.  Baby’s Request                                                                                            03:30

16.  My One And Only Love                                                               03:50

The album will also be available digitally. You will be able to pre-order the album directly from PaulMcCartney.com soon!

The album was recorded at the legendary Capitol Studios in Los Angeles, New York and London throughout 2011.  It also features guest musicians Eric Clapton and Stevie Wonder, respectively, on the original compositions  ‘My Valentine’ and ‘Only Our Hearts’.  Eric also appears on the track ‘Get Yourself Another Fool’.

The album artwork concept was conceived by Jonathan Schofield (Visual Director at Stella McCartney) and designed by Matthew Cooper (who has worked with artists such as Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand).  Paul was photographed by his daughter Mary McCartney for the album sleeve.

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2012, 03:17:30 PM »

Tkitna, just realize that the vast majority of the world doesn't agree with you!

That's a truth you should face!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2012, 03:54:05 PM »

Tkitna, just realize that the vast majority of the world doesn't agree with you!

The "vast majority of the world" likes Paul's new work? Wow. That's impressive!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2012, 08:12:13 PM »

The "vast majority of the world" likes Paul's new work? Wow. That's impressive!

Yeah, he's a bit delusional, but i'd imagine its hard to admit your idol isnt the perfect one you had always envisioned.

As for 'VAST' majority, umm no. The major age group that buys the most music (probably 16 to 25) arent lining up to buy this old coots music, so lets be careful in how we word things.

nimrod

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2012, 10:35:57 PM »

this is a bit silly maccafan... ;)

why cant you accept that Todd and others on here dont like it and just move on  ???

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2012, 11:03:45 PM »

Not trying to attack or offend anyone, but being a true fan really doesn't mean that you have to like absolutely everything that your idol did. Nobody's perfect, not even Paul McCartney. I'm sure that any serious artist has much more appreciation for someone who critically and honestly analyzes his or her work and comes to the conclusion that some of it is great and that some of it could have been better, than someone who blindly accepts everything as a masterpiece.

nimrod

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2012, 12:57:08 AM »

yes Joost..

I think Paul has made a bad decision here, I dont much care if the world disagrees with me.. roll:)

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2012, 03:30:01 PM »

Oh I get it, you can see one side of the discussion, but you can't see the other side or you refuse to see the other side!  I've already posted twice, twice that I don't think everything McCartney does is right or good.  That doesn't matter does it, you only see what you want to see.

When I said the vast majority of the world, I was talking about McCartney overall, not just this new music, even though the vast majority of the comments have been positive for the new music.

Tkitna posted that he thinks Chaos may have been McCartneys last breath of excellence, well most people don't agree with that.  He also said that McCartney can't sing, well most people definitely don't agree with that.  The statement was also made that maybe it's time for McCartney to retire, once again most people the vast majority don't agree with that.  So that is what I was responding to when I posted about the vast majority.  So please guys don't take my comments out of context. 

I don't care what the rest of the world thinks either, but the facts are the facts, and the facts are that most people think McCartney is still singing and performing very well.

I don't even count the young music buyers of today, and yes I know they are the majority of the new music buyers, but they aren't really the crowd McCartney is going after with this new music so they are a non factor!

So for the vast majority of people who would be interested in this music, the comments have been mostly positive!!  Check it out for yourself, go to Youtube and see, and that's only one place, check out other sites dedicated to music or McCartney, all the comments are there for anyone to see.

Or do you just want to bash it and never mind anything else?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2012, 03:46:11 PM »

Or do you just want to bash it and never mind anything else?
I'm absolutely not "bashing" anyone or anything. At least, that's most certainly not what I'm trying to do and I'm sorry if that what it looks like. This is a discussion forum where people exchange opinions. Which is what I'm doing, nothing more or less.

I don't care what the rest of the world thinks either, but the facts are the facts, and the facts are that most people think McCartney is still singing and performing very well.
See, that is just a statement that I just don't agree with. Paul McCartney's last pop studio album 'Memory Almost Full' sold 4 million copies worldwide. A very respectable figure, but 4 million is not even close to "most people".

And for the record: I still like what Paul does. I went to one of his concerts two years ago and had a blast and I still buy his new albums when they come out (well, the pop albums at least).

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »

Joost, c'mon this isn't rocket science, I'm talking about the people who follow McCartney, of course the whole world doesn't factor into this, but in the world of Paul McCartney fans these facts are true!

Most McCartney followers agree that the man is still singing and performing well, and they definantely don't think the man should retire!

Memory sold 4 Million and went platinum, Chaos and Creation didn't even do that initially.  I'd like to know where Chaos stands now, but 4 million in the world of McCartney fans is freaking fantastic!!

So that's the vast majority I'm talking about!!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2012, 07:28:20 PM »

Joost, c'mon this isn't rocket science, I'm talking about the people who follow McCartney,

Exactly, your talking about a biased demographic (which you fall in). Hell yeah somebody that loves and follows McCartney is going to see more positive in his output than others. All i'm saying is that if you put 'My Valentine' on for a group of neutral people, I would bet most of them would think its not very good. Speaking of neutral, thats what I try to be. I love Paul and he's my favorite musician ever, but if I listen to one of his songs and its a garbage, i'm going to say its garbage.

Most McCartney followers agree that the man is still singing and performing well, and they definantely don't think the man should retire!

While the rest of the world kind of snickers at him and has a different opinion. I'll admit that he does well during his live shows for a 70 year old man, but i'll also admit that when I watch him and listen to him, I see and hear a 70 year old man. Another thing that needs to be considered is that a lot of the people that want Paul to keep chugging along are holding onto the past. Seeing Paul satifies there own nostalgia, and they turn a blind eye for their own selfish reasons.

Memory sold 4 Million and went platinum, Chaos and Creation didn't even do that initially.  I'd like to know where Chaos stands now, but 4 million in the world of McCartney fans is freaking fantastic!!

You do realize that those numbers are bloated from the several different reissues he had for the album dont you? You know why he reissued it in different packages,,,because it sold so poorly. Hate to break that to you. I was really excited for 'Memory Almost Full' and I really wanted to like it when it was coming out, as I thought he might have finally put his ego away and followed 'Chaos' with something similar, but I was wrong. He started pimping the laughable 'Dance Tonight' and I knew it was going to be a bummer (which it was). A pop album that he tried in vein to make relevant, but failed to do so. 'Only Mama Knows' is the only decent tune on the album in my opinion, but thats here nor there.

'Kisses On The Bottom' is the type of music I feel Paul should be doing, but I want it to be good ('Chaos' good), and judging from the first song, its not.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2012, 07:44:52 AM »

Joost, c'mon this isn't rocket science, I'm talking about the people who follow McCartney, of course the whole world doesn't factor into this, but in the world of Paul McCartney fans these facts are true!

I still don't agree. Paul's albums used to go up to 3x platinum. Nowadays they go gold at best.

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2012, 05:41:56 PM »

So joost, the people that say they don't like something by McCartney aren't a biased demographic?

Do you honestly think that every single one of those people on Youtube let's say are part of a biased demographic?  Different people from all over the world are part of a biased demographic, c'mon you know that's not true.

The rest of the world doesn't snicker at him and have a different opinion, that's the kind of statement and nonsense that sounds exactly like it's from a biased demographic!  Every where this man goes and performs he sells out, so I seriously don't think they are snickering at him or have a different opinion, because if they did, they wouldn't spend their hard earned money to go see him!

I don't care why people want McCartney to keep working, that's their own personal thing, I just want the man to keep doing what he does because no one does it better!

I noticed you made the comment about McCartney putting his ego away, see I don't get into all of that nonsense because that doesn't matter to me, I couldn't care less about McCartney's ego, that's trivial nonsense to me.

when I see people make comments like that it just sounds like personal bias to me.  I don't bring that kind of personal bias to my music listening experience, I just want the music to be good!

When I listen to McCartney I also hear a 70 year old man, but he's a 70 year old man that is still writing fantastic songs, rocking, singing very well and playing multiple instruments!

I will also say when I don't like something by McCartney as I've done on this very thread.

The music scene has changed, I don't exspect a McCartney album to sell thru the roof like back in the day, the young people these days don't know what good music is so I don't exspect them to buy a McCartney album in mass numbers!  That's an unrealistic thought anyway!  But for McCartneys demographic he does very well.

Also I don't care why the albums sold, whether it was reissues or not, people liked it enough to buy the freaking reissues!  The results are what counts, and the results are that enough people liked that music to make it go Platinum, and that's very very good for a 70 year old man!

Your personal opinion is just that, your personal opinion, as is mine, but the facts don't agree with your personal opinion and as I've posted, see for yourself, go to Youtube or any other music site or site dedicated to McCartney and you will see that the majority of people are liking this new music and Memory Almost Full as well!

I don't exspect McCartney to remain just a Beatle, I exspect the man to be the risk taker that he's always been, to try different styles of music just like he's always done, and I for the most part like the wide range of variety he produces.

I think Kisses is the type of Music McCartney should be making as well, but it's not the only type he should make, he's a rocker at heart and I'm looking forward to his rock album scheduled for later this year!

I'm enjoying the discussion, no argument or anger involved, just two different sides of the coin!

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 07:00:33 PM »

This is the kind of buzz this new album is really getting!

January 10, 2011 -- Showbiz 411
by Roger Friedman

Paul McCartney Set for Grammy Performance, TV Special

Exclusive: Paul McCartney's upcoming album of standards, "Kisses on the Bottom," is getting a big push for its February 7th release. "Kisses," which I got to hear recently, will get a TV special taped in Hollywood during Grammy week. And McCartney, I can tell you exclusively, is set to sing his brilliant new song, "My Valentine," on the Grammy Awards February 12th--two days before Valentine's Day. Even better: I can also tell you that "Kisses"--a reference to the x's at the bottom of love letters and not anything untoward--is an exquisite recording made by award winning, legendary producer Tommy LiPuma.

LiPuma--who McCartney has tapped as music director of his MusiCares tribute on February 10th--has used only the finest musicians in this effort­Diana Krall and her two bands (studio and touring), father and son guitarists Bucky and John Pizzarelli, and Andy Stein, virtuoso violinist from Commander Cody. Stevie Wonder plays a trademark harmonica solo on a McCartney original, "Only Our Hearts," and Eric Clapton adds his bluesy guitar to a couple of tracks including a sensational cover of "Get Yourself Another Fool."

Also exclusive: taking a page maybe from Sting, who sang it memorably in "Leaving Las Vegas," McCartney will include a bonus track recording for download of the Frank Sinatra hit, "My One and Only Love." It's not on the album simply because Paul and LiPuma couldn't physically fit another song on the CD. My guess is fans will buy the CD and then download the extra song.

What a treat this album is, simply because the recording is outstanding. McCartney sang a lot of it live with Krall; the spontaneity is evident throughout. Many of the musicians' great moments were ad libbed, too. Krall, who doesn't sing on the album. helps LiPuma give the project the feeling of a George Shearing recital at the Cafe Carlyle. Listened to on real speakers (forget those damned earbud things), "Kisses" has a warm, intimate glow. And listen, it is far from boring. McCartney is so energized, he sounds as if he's had a "voice lift." But there's absolutely no trickery--it's all him.

Everyone's going to have favorites when "Kisses" is revealed (which should be soon). You should know that even though McCartney the businessman owns a lot of music catalogs, the songs he and LiPuma chose were from the heart, not the wallet. He only has the copyright on Frank Loesser's "More I Cannot Wish You," a little gem from "Guys and Dolls" - and "Inchworm," from "Hans Christian Anderson." But reviving Loesser's overlooked classics for a mainstream audience is like missionary work. You only get rewarded for it. It's not like he's singing "Luck Be a Lady Tonight."

I loved his inspired vocal on "We Three," also an old Sinatra hit, which LiPuma could release as a focus track. (We used to call them singles.) As with all the songs, McCartney invests a lot of humor and personality in his reading. I think it's going to surprise everyone how well he took to this genre.

At the same time, the McCartney originals--"My Valentine" and "Only Our Hearts"--are two of his best songs in years and years. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a lot of singers like Tony Bennett cover them quickly. And all this from a man who turns 70 this June.

This is the kind of remarks most people are saying, the negative is in the vast minority!!

These people aren't part of any biased demographic!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:04:05 PM by maccafan »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2012, 02:22:50 AM »

Do you honestly think that every single one of those people on Youtube let's say are part of a biased demographic?  Different people from all over the world are part of a biased demographic, c'mon you know that's not true.

It is absolutely true. Why do you think those people even bothered to watch or listen to the video in the first place? Are you trying to tell me that the majority of those comments came from people that just stumbled onto Paul McCartney? Bullsh*t.

The rest of the world doesn't snicker at him and have a different opinion, that's the kind of statement and nonsense that sounds exactly like it's from a biased demographic!  Every where this man goes and performs he sells out, so I seriously don't think they are snickering at him or have a different opinion, because if they did, they wouldn't spend their hard earned money to go see him!

The people that are going to these shows are Beatle fans (and their offspring), and a very, very limited amount of actual Paul McCartney fans. Lets break it down. I see it like this - 75% are the older people that came to see an actual Beatle perform Beatle songs along with some of his solo greatest hits. 20% are the offspring of these people coming to see an actual Beatle perform a handful of Beatle tunes they got turned on to from their parents. 5% are the diehards like us. Hell even Kevin said if he saw McCartney live, he'd want to hear nothing but Beatle songs. I fall into the 1% bracket (probably) that would prefer obscure solo stuff mostly with nothing more than a handful, if any, rare Beatle songs.

I've already admitted that the man does well in his live performances for a 70 year old, but dont kid yourself and think that Pauls turning on a new generation with his new material, because thats bullsh*t as well.

I don't care why people want McCartney to keep working, that's their own personal thing, I just want the man to keep doing what he does because no one does it better!

Your biased.

I noticed you made the comment about McCartney putting his ego away, see I don't get into all of that nonsense because that doesn't matter to me, I couldn't care less about McCartney's ego, that's trivial nonsense to me.

It bothers me when he pushes garbage on the public because it makes him look bad. 

When I listen to McCartney I also hear a 70 year old man, but he's a 70 year old man that is still writing fantastic songs, rocking, singing very well and playing multiple instruments!

Yeah, he does really well for a man his age. I admit it, but he does struggle at times and people just wont admit that for some reason. Kind of like this thread.

I will also say when I don't like something by McCartney as I've done on this very thread.

Yeah, you've mentioned a couple, but others are just perplexing.

The music scene has changed, I don't exspect a McCartney album to sell thru the roof like back in the day, the young people these days don't know what good music is so I don't expect them to buy a McCartney album in mass numbers!  That's an unrealistic thought anyway!  But for McCartneys demographic he does very well.

You were just bragging about how many copies 'memory Almost Full' sold so dont get sidetracked here.

Also I don't care why the albums sold, whether it was reissues or not, people liked it enough to buy the freaking reissues!  The results are what counts, and the results are that enough people liked that music to make it go Platinum, and that's very very good for a 70 year old man!

Your turning that blind eye again. You need to realize that a lot of the reissue sales were from the completists and fans that bought the original issue to begin with (raises hand and sulks in the corner). Of course you dont care about the facts that the reissues were made because not enough people liked the original record to buy it, but what are we going to do?

Your personal opinion is just that, your personal opinion, as is mine, but the facts don't agree with your personal opinion and as I've posted, see for yourself, go to Youtube or any other music site or site dedicated to McCartney and you will see that the majority of people are liking this new music and Memory Almost Full as well!

This is hysterical. Your just not going to get it are you? Your asking me to go to a dedicated McCartney site to see how many positive things were said about his sh*tty new music and a below average album. f***ing brilliant. There's just no possible way that those people could be biased is there? Its also clear to you that the comments made on Youtube are from people that are total strangers to Paul McCartney music, but yet they all love it. Priceless.

I don't exspect McCartney to remain just a Beatle, I exspect the man to be the risk taker that he's always been, to try different styles of music just like he's always done, and I for the most part like the wide range of variety he produces.

He does those things, its just that he's shooting about 50% from the line. your stats see it as more like 95% though.

I think Kisses is the type of Music McCartney should be making as well, but it's not the only type he should make, he's a rocker at heart and I'm looking forward to his rock album scheduled for later this year!

I'll buy them both and hope for the best. The thing about low expectations is that its hard to be disappointed if it turns out bad.

I'm enjoying the discussion, no argument or anger involved, just two different sides of the coin!

Peace

nimrod

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2012, 03:17:45 AM »

the young people these days don't know what good music is so I don't exspect them to buy a McCartney album in mass numbers! 

sounds like the kind of thing parents said in the 50's 60's 70's 80's etc etc

massive generalisation  ha2ha

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2012, 04:04:23 PM »

Tkitna, it won't matter to you what I post because you're going to slant it your way, so go right ahead, but the facts don't agree with you!

Who said anything about McCartney turning on a new generation with his new music, I clearly posted that the vast majority of the young these days don't listen to classic rock which is McCartneys type music?  Many of your comments have your agenda behind them, but hey it's all good.

I'm not getting sidetracked at all, I clearly said McCartney's demographic!

Once again I don't care who baught the reissues, and I don't care why, they baught them, the results are what counts!

If you truly believe that all those people on Youtube and that attend McCartneys concerts are all Beatle fans, then you're the one turning the blind eye!  Many of those people are going to his shows just because they've never seen him before and they just want the experience.  Many of them aren't even fans.

Talk about perplexing, I could say the very same about many of your comments!  You talk as if no one could possibly hear this music and just like it, they would only have to be a McCartney fan to do so, talk about hysterical.

I don't have any stats, I go by the info I see, like the article I posted about his new album.

Remember what you call garbage, is another mans treasure.  If you want to have low expectations that's your deal, me I look forward to every single McCartney release with very high expectations, if I don't like it oh well, it isn't the end of the world.  It's like McCartney himself once said, it's just music the world doesn't depend on it!

Peace back at ya!!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 04:07:50 PM by maccafan »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Page created in 0.746 seconds with 72 queries.