Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Debuts New Beatles Exhibit  (Read 9010 times)

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Debuts New Beatles Exhibit
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:36:15 AM »

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

http://www.947wls.com/Article.asp?id=2207817&spid

John Lennon's 1979 Yamaha Upright Piano

CLEVELAND (WLS) - The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum’s first redesign in its 15-year history is nearly complete and includes several vibrant new exhibit spaces, state-of-the-art interactive technology and lighting, improved way-finding and hundreds of new artifacts, including the most comprehensive collection of Beatles’ items; a number of which are on display to the public for the first time.

“The Rock Hall’s extensive redesign includes the most comprehensive, artifact-driven Beatles exhibit in the world,” said Jim Henke, the Museum’s Vice President of Exhibitions. “For many years now, we have been fortunate to have a great relationship with Yoko Ono, which enabled us to have many John Lennon artifacts. This time around, we were able to work with Ringo Starr and with George Harrison’s estate, so they are well-represented in the exhibit. We also worked with some collectors who had other key Beatles pieces, and before we knew it, we had an absolutely incredible collection.”

The new Beatles exhibit is the crown jewel of an extensive museum restructuring that has three primary goals:  to improve the visitor experience via enhanced way-finding, to tell the story of rock and roll in a more chronological fashion and to upgrade all Museum exhibits to state-of-the-art technology.

BEATLES EXHIBIT HIGHLIGHTS

The exhibit includes nearly 70 artifacts, including a few that have not been exhibited before:
-George Harrison’s striped suit from the 1966 US tour

-Ringo Starr’s red military-style jacket from the “Strawberry Fields Forever” promo film

-John Lennon’s black wool coat worn in Help!

-Paul McCartney’s handwritten arrangement for “Birthday”

Additional highlights include:

-John Lennon’s Gibson J-160E acoustic guitar. Lennon used this guitar to record “Norwegian Wood” and “Give Peace a Chance” and numerous other classics.

-George Harrison’s Rickenbacker 425 electric guitar. Harrison purchased the guitar in 1963 on his first visit to the U.S. He played it throughout the fall of 1963.

-Ringo Starr’s “drop-T” Beatles logo drum head from the kit he used on the Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964

-Paul McCartney’s jacket from Help!

-A page from Stuart Sutcliffe’s sketch pad that shows his self-portraits, his illustration of John Lennon and Lennon’s illustration of Sutcliffe.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Debuts New Beatles Exhibit
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 02:09:32 AM »

That looks like a nice exhibit!  John's Mellotron is there too.  Thanks for posting that, I am the Paulrus.

I have a hand-painted reproduction of the Sullivan head in my office...

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:15:16 AM by Hello Goodbye »
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 03:14:10 AM »

Quote from: I am the Paulrus

Thanks for this information!! This is a day trip for me and I'm going to do it!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 03:39:54 AM »

The Beatles - Day Tripper [FULL HD - 1080p]

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 04:04:09 AM »

I have a hand-painted reproduction of the Sullivan head in my office...

For those interested in The Beatles' Drop-T logo drum head, there's a great monograph at this website:

http://www.beatlesuits.com/Beatlesuits_Saga7.htm

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 04:45:47 AM »

Oh, this Rubber Soul suede jacket won't be on display.  It's mine.

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 04:54:09 AM »

Oh, this Rubber Soul suede jacket won't be on display.  It's mine.

Nice!

KelMar

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 01:55:59 AM »

The trip is on for July 9th!! I wish I could bring back some pictures to share but I might get kicked out.  ha2ha

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 06:01:35 PM »

I live about an hour from Cleveland and the Rock Hall, and am totally going this summer with my one friend who likes the Beatles. Wish I could take pictures, but it'll be amazing.  :)
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

KelMar

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 04:54:17 AM »

I live about an hour from Cleveland and the Rock Hall, and am totally going this summer with my one friend who likes the Beatles. Wish I could take pictures, but it'll be amazing.  :)

Julia, Let me know when you go and what you thought of it. We can compare notes. I'll be seeing it by myself so it would be great to be able to talk to you about it later!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 07:33:16 AM »

I live a couple of hours away from the Rock-N-Roll HOF and i'll never go to it. Jann Wenner can take that building and shove it up his ass.

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 02:30:29 PM »

I live a couple of hours away from the Rock-N-Roll HOF and i'll never go to it. Jann Wenner can take that building and shove it up his ass.

My, someone's opinionated today  ;D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 05:20:34 AM »

My, someone's opinionated today  ;D

Yes, sorry darling. Its just that this is a sore subject with me. The RNRHOF is just a platform for Wenner and his idiot friends like Dave Marsh to redifine the definition of the genre. Its their playground and they decide who gets to play. Grandmaster Flash? Run DMC? Madonna (and I like Madonna)> Seriously? Its not the Rap/Hip Hop/Pop or even just Music HOF. Its the Rock N Roll HOF and we have bands like that in it while truly deserving artists are still out on the streets. Hell, even half the bands that are in it think its a joke. I just cant be part of anything like that regardless of how much cool Beatle sh*t is there.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 05:40:11 AM »

Here's some good reading material for you about the RNRHOF

http://www.projo.com/music/content/lb_rock_hall_of_lame_12-17-07_K4893CI_v7.133fe6d.html

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/262076/rock-and-roll-hall-lame-mark-goldblatt

ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME’
A complete disgrace, run by a group of empty-headed idiots that include Springsteen boy-toy Dave Marsh and rock star prostitute Jann S. Wenner. These jokers, who have done more damage to rock n’ roll than any PMRC member with their arrogance and selfishness towards bands they do not like as well as lack of musical knowledge, seem fit to vote only artists that satisfy their taste instead of contributing to rock n’ roll history and views of the rock world. And I find the title, “Rock and Roll Hall of Fame”, very amusing since many of the artists that were inducted were hardly hard rock or even soft rock. What is even funnier is that those involved with the nomination process are not even musicians; just a group of inexperienced, ignorant rock journalists who have never played an instrument in their lives. It is because of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame that many artists do not get their dues despite their strong influence; it is because of the Hall of Fame that nobody takes rock music seriously. It is because of the Hall of Fame that progressive rock, avant-garde, heavy metal, garage rock and hard rock  music rarely get the appreciation they deserved, despite the fact that they influenced many of these so-called rock journalists’ favorite bands. It is pitiful because The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, if ran by the right people, could have been an authentic museum of rock n’ roll history; instead, it is just a circus, only it is the monkeys who are running the show. A spit in the face of many rock n’ roll musicians, bands and artists whose contributions are left in the dark because of these buffoons.

Ok, rant over.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 01:56:38 PM »

I wish I didn't, but I have to mostly agree with Todd. I did say mostly, not completely.

I agree especially with the point of who is in it. For example, and this is not a criticism, Run DMC. Rock and Roll... ??? You could argue ones like Johnny Cash, because of how his music was instrumental (no pun intended) in Rock N Roll's evolution. You might (although I think it would be a stretch) to say the same thing about Madonna.

I would however, if I was in Cleveland, go see the exhibits.

Maybe they should change the name of it to the "Popular Music Hall Of Fame and Museum".
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »

Julia, Let me know when you go and what you thought of it. We can compare notes. I'll be seeing it by myself so it would be great to be able to talk to you about it later!

Yes, I will definitely talk with you about it! I'm not sure on the date yet, but we'll probably go sometime in late July or something. Can't wait.  :) And you're going July 9th right? Have fun!!
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »

Yes, sorry darling. Its just that this is a sore subject with me. The RNRHOF is just a platform for Wenner and his idiot friends like Dave Marsh to redifine the definition of the genre. Its their playground and they decide who gets to play. Grandmaster Flash? Run DMC? Madonna (and I like Madonna)> Seriously? Its not the Rap/Hip Hop/Pop or even just Music HOF. Its the Rock N Roll HOF and we have bands like that in it while truly deserving artists are still out on the streets. Hell, even half the bands that are in it think its a joke. I just cant be part of anything like that regardless of how much cool Beatle sh*t is there.

I'd have to pretty much agree. But, if I lived close, I'd go just to see the Beatles stuff, because that's who I am.

KelMar

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 02:03:16 AM »

Quote from: tkitna
Ok, rant over.

I definitely see your point on this. I have often wondered about their choice of inductees.

Quote from: Beatlemaniac64
And you're going July 9th right? Have fun!!

Yep, that's the plan. Thanks!

peregrine9

• A Thousand Pages
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Builds Better Beatles Exhibit
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 04:11:10 AM »

Gibson.com
July 8, 2011
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Builds Better Beatles Exhibit

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, Ohio, has put together “the most comprehensive, artifact-driven Beatles exhibit in the world,” according to what Jim Henke, vice president of exhibitions, told Billboard.com.Henke said that the organization has developed relationships with George Harrison’s widow, Olivia, and Ringo Starr’s representatives to bring more original items into the museum. He said the Rock Hall already had a good relationship with Yoko Ono, who ensured John Lennon was well-represented.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/News/beatles-0708-2011/
Life is what happens when your busy making other plans. John Lennon
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.76 seconds with 87 queries.