Other music forums > Various Artists, Lyrics, Discographies

Your favorite bands and artists with a "but..."

<< < (2/6) > >>

Ovi:

--- Quote from: Joost on April 07, 2014, 06:25:31 PM ---No beef. As a musician, Kurt Cobain is one of my heroes. He was one of the main reasons why I got into alternative music and playing guitar 20 years ago. As a teen, I spend more time playing along with Nirvana records than doing homework and I once read Michael Azerrad's book about Nirvana three times in a row. But Tony Asher's famous quote about Brian Wilson probably applies even more to Cobain: "a genius musician but an amateur human being".

--- End quote ---

I dunno Joost, I think about 80% of the rock-stars that made it big are a**holes in one way or another. Was just wondering why was Cobain the only one to make your list and why not an easier target like Johnny Rotten, Axl Rose, Mike Love etc. I don't remember atm reading anything truly bad about him, but I'm probably (more like surely) not as informed on the matter as you are.

Joost:

--- Quote from: Ovi on April 07, 2014, 06:44:51 PM ---I dunno Joost, I think about 80% of the rock-stars that made it big are a**holes in one way or another. Was just wondering why was Cobain the only one to make your list and why not an easier target like Johnny Rotten, Axl Rose, Mike Love etc. I don't remember atm reading anything truly bad about him, but I'm probably (more like surely) not as informed on the matter as you are.

--- End quote ---

I just think he was a pretty misanthropic, negative, holier-than-thou, egocentric person. The kind of guy who would come to your party, bum everyone out, destroy your records and call you a redneck macho pig for kicking him out.

Last Saturday there was some footage from Nirvana's show at the Paradiso in Amsterdam in 1991 on TV. A camera guy was just filming him from a distance, not bothering him in any way. Suddenly Kurt decides to try to push him off the stage. It was a pretty high stage and the guy had a big, heavy camera on his shoulder, so it was really dangerous. I just thought that was just pretty typical: Kurt the alternative icon slash tortured artist almost breaking some poor guy's neck just to make some kind of crazy anti corporate media statement (or something...).

And two years later he's doing MTV Uplugged.

Kurt Cobain will always be one of my musical idols and I'm certain that despite his fame and fortune his life was miserable. But still, he was an a**hole.

stevie:
U2 by a country mile.  They were awesome till the mid nineties. Everything since is rubbish IMO.

ibanez_ax:
Jethro Tull-kind of lost me after Stormwatch, some good songs, but nothing like their earlier stuff.
E.L.O.-I lost interest after Discovery.  Time makes me feel uneasy when I try to listen, I'm not sure why.
The Who-they gave it the old college try after Moon died but it really wasn't the same.  Eminence Front is a really good song though.
Cheap Trick-they had it, lost it after Dream Police, then got it back again with Cheap Trick 97 and the records after that.

Hello Goodbye:

--- Quote from: Joost on April 07, 2014, 05:11:08 PM ---Beach Boys: greatest band of all time, but I almost never listen to their pre-Pet Sounds material

--- End quote ---

Some very pretty songs came before Pet Sounds like Wendy, In My Room, Don't Worry Baby, When I Grow Up To Be A Man, California Girls, The Little Girl I Once Knew and Do You Wanna Dance?  I hope you're not depriving yourself of those, Joost.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version