Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: 70's Music ?  (Read 16218 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: 70's Music ?
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2013, 05:17:12 AM »

Progressive Rock

Didn't The Moody Blues and Procol Harum start that?  In the 60s?
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2013, 05:37:09 AM »

Hey, Kev.  Dig this...

Moody Blues - From the Bottom of my Heart

Michael Pinder and Denny Laine    1965

The vocal choral at the end of the song is in a style which we'll hear two years later in Nights in White Satin...

The Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

nimrod

« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2013, 09:35:52 AM »

Didn't The Moody Blues and Procol Harum start that?  In the 60s?

No not really Barry, they played some what you might call proto prog and symphonic rock but true progressive rock didnt evolve until the 70's in England, and then there was a worldwide explosion of it, every European country produced great prog bands, in fact every civilised country in the world seemed too.....finally destroyed by Punk Rock, Im still discovering South American/Japanese/East European/Australian prog bands of the 70's

Yes's 1st major selling LP, The Yes Album in 71 kinda kicked things off imo

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »

Some might argue that it was King Crimson in '68 that launched that era/genre, Kev. But what matter? A lot was going on and whoever popped out first is relatively irrelevant, I think.

I believe that Yes made a bigger splash on the whole, though. Great group.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2013, 11:11:09 AM »

Even though I didn't like disco at the time, it sent me looking at a much wider spectrum of music. Blues, jazz and most of the bands mentioned in earlier posts. In the mid - late 70's I listened and saw a lot of great bands from Tull. Zappa, Yes, Return to Forever, Weather Report, Roy Buchanan and a multitude of old Bluesmen from Muddy to Johnny Winter and it just goes on.
It's funny, even though I didn't like disco much when I hear it now it's actually pretty good.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2013, 12:10:04 PM »

Same here. I made my peace with disco, though, and appreciate the fine musicianship and showmanship invested in it.

Likewise with bubblegum in the 60's, taken in without bias there is good stuff to be found.

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

nimrod

« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2013, 12:22:16 PM »

Some might argue that it was King Crimson in '68 that launched that era/genre, Kev. But what matter? A lot was going on and whoever popped out first is relatively irrelevant, I think.

I believe that Yes made a bigger splash on the whole, though. Great group.

Yes  Klang...King Crimsons debut album 'In the Court of the Crimson King' was released in October 1969 and for some it was the first true prog rock album, but this is all subjective and Ive always believed that The Yes Album was progs 1st baby, its a point that prog fans argue about but I think it was a mixture of Chris squires distinctive Rickenbacker stereo bass, Tony Banks keyboard, Steve Howes jazz/classical infused guitar, Bill Bruffords poly rhythms, and Jon Andersons mystical lyrics (no-one understood them)  ;D that wove the prog tapestry, before this was merely Psych and Symphonic...

listen to this, it was a completely new sound, what a Bass line, what drumming, what a sound.... its just magical , put your headphones on and fly away  :)

The Yes Album - Yours Is No Disgrace

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2013, 11:35:59 PM »

I do enjoy Yes quite a bit. More so than KC, I'd say. Also enjoyed Wakeman's solo stuff a lot. Used to play 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' daily when it was first out. Kind of odd, in retrospect, but it was very moving to me at the time.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2013, 12:55:27 AM »

No not really Barry, they played some what you might call proto prog and symphonic rock but true progressive rock didnt evolve until the 70's in England, and then there was a worldwide explosion of it, every European country produced great prog bands, in fact every civilised country in the world seemed too.....finally destroyed by Punk Rock, Im still discovering South American/Japanese/East European/Australian prog bands of the 70's

Yes's 1st major selling LP, The Yes Album in 71 kinda kicked things off imo

I remember going to a Yes concert in the early 70s.  The lead guitarist was playing a Gibson ES5 Switchmaster...

I've Seen All Good People - Jon Anderson, Chris Squire - Yes 1973

I see he played an ES-175 too...

I've Seen All Good People - Yes

Nice song.  Amazing what he can do with a jazz guitar!

nimrod

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2013, 03:52:49 AM »

WOW, I love this

Yes - Every Little Thing

KelMar

« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2013, 07:39:23 AM »

WOW, I love this

Wow indeed! Wouldn't it be cool to hear this without knowing exactly what it was going to end up being? That moment when you first hear the Beatles riffs and think, "It's Every Little Thing" then "No, wait it's not" then "Yes it is!" Did you just discover this Kev? Oh, and I like your signature ...Find someone who's turning and you will come around.  :)

nimrod

« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2013, 12:17:53 PM »

No Ive loved it for years Kelley, its one of  my favourite covers of a Beatle song, I just think the intro is mind blowingly good  ;D

and its good to know that such talented musicians dug The Fabs

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2013, 07:03:49 PM »

and its good to know that such talented musicians dug The Fabs

They obviously did.  I love that song!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2013, 07:52:29 PM »

And they sing the Give Peace A Chance chorus at the end of I've Seen All Good People.  Did anyone in the group ever explain why, Kev?

nimrod

« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2013, 09:51:55 PM »

And they sing the Give Peace A Chance chorus at the end of I've Seen All Good People.  Did anyone in the group ever explain why, Kev?

I dont know of anything Baz, just always assumed it was just a nod to someone they admired

I like how they played Day Tripper in Every Little Thing as well

I suppose quite a few groups did this, hang on, a new thread here  ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2013, 12:45:58 AM »

I dont know of anything Baz, just always assumed it was just a nod to someone they admired

I like how they played Day Tripper in Every Little Thing as well

I suppose quite a few groups did this, hang on, a new thread here  ;D

Yeah, they did do a little bit of Day Tripper in there, Kev.  They must have admired The Beatles a lot.

The Beatles did a little bit of Frère Jacques in Paperback Writer.

That's a great idea for a new thread!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2013, 02:40:23 AM »

I just remembered, I've Seen All Good People was featured in the 1999 movie Dick...

Dick (The video's owner prevents external embedding)
1:22:00

Cute flick!  Maybe Watergate happened just that way!

KelMar

« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2013, 02:44:12 AM »

listen to this, it was a completely new sound, what a Bass line, what drumming, what a sound.... its just magical , put your headphones on and fly away  :)

The Yes Album - Yours Is No Disgrace

I love this album and Close to the Edge too. I listened to all the kid stuff through most of the 70's because that's what I was, but by the time I was a junior in high school I found myself listening to the stuff that my brother played when I was just little. He never sat in his room alone listening to his music, he made sure I heard it! He would always bring home an album or two when he was home on leave from the Navy and I turned to those too. I was lucky to have my very own mentor.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Page created in 0.578 seconds with 79 queries.