Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25

Author Topic: Recently Bought C.D.'s  (Read 60447 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: Recently Bought C.D.'s
« Reply #460 on: April 02, 2015, 07:31:58 PM »

But then I loved the nineties. We had won history, the football team was ok, guitar bands were back in fashion and because everyone was off their nuts on ecstasy dancing was easy and fun again. And oh, I was 25 years younger.

Sounds great, Kevin. Did you ever see a movie called Human Traffic? I think you'd love it - "Five friends spend one lost weekend in a mix of music, love and club culture" says IMDB. All placed in the context of 90's England. It's sarcastic, fast-paced, funny, sad. Lots of breaking the fourth wall scenes. Great characters, sort of like the Breakfast Club on ecstasy in that regard. Here's a beautiful ecstasy scene by the way from the movie. Surely you'll relate if you've ever tried the drug:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9SesDzBoJU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9SesDzBoJU</a>
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #461 on: April 02, 2015, 07:45:45 PM »

And I love Oasis too. I think the reason lots of people don't is because of the Gallaghers' arrogant attitude. I got into them with the lowest of expectations, thinking that I will hate their pompous asses and then I heard Definitely Maybe and it changed my life.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #462 on: April 02, 2015, 09:07:42 PM »

Two questions: Who had 'won history' and which football team was OK?
We thought we had, what with the fall of communism and all. Don't you remember all that talk of The End of History? Of course we hadn't and it didn't.
And come on Euro 96. Gasoline. Fabulous.
don't follow leaders

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #463 on: April 02, 2015, 09:35:38 PM »

Two strange things happened in London in 1994.

Firstly, and inexplicably, people started buying Oasis records (nowhere else in the world, obviously).
Secondly, a craze for old easy listening recordings developed.

Nothing good came out of the first phenomena, and the rehabilitation of the Rat Pack was an unfortunate aside from the second.

However, on the plus side, all of a sudden really groovy 60s library music for TV and film became available on CD after languishing for years on unwanted vinyl in charity shops.
The vinyl leapt in value, the CDs had a price of £12 on them, and life lobbled on.

Fast forward 21 years, and the CDs have gone the same way as the original vinyl, and are to be easily found for a couple of pounds.

Charidee Box.....
19. 'Blow Up Presents Exclusive Blend Vol. 4' (essentially a whole load of late 60s music you might hear in an obscure French film) - £1.99

Also.....
20. 'The Sonny Clark Trio' by the.....erm.....Sonny Clark Trio (Blue Note, 1958) - £1.50.

20 CDs - Total price: £27.61

Speaking of Sonny Clark, have you heard The Complete Quartets With Sonny Clark by Grant Green?
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #464 on: April 02, 2015, 09:37:37 PM »

I pre-ordered this from Amazon.

In 1971, Atlantic Records released a pair of Dusty Springfield singles produced by the legendary songwriter/producer Jeff Barry (one-time songwriting and romantic partner of Ellie Greenwich, and author of too many hits to name): "Haunted"/"Nothing Is Forever" and "I Believe In You"/"Someone Who Cares." A restless Dusty, freshly relocating to America from her native England, then departed the label and left an additional 9 songs recorded with Barry in the can, where they stayed until Rhino issued one track, "Faithful" (in mono), as a bonus track on the 1990s CD release of Dusty's 1970 Atlantic album A Brand New Me. The other tracks didn t surface until a subsequent deluxe reissue of Dusty s landmark 1969 album Dusty in Memphis included them as bonus cuts. Now, reissue producer Jim Pierson who tracked down the missing masters after being lost for over two decades has assembled all of Dusty s Barry-produced masters and put them together in a single package for the first time to create the third Dusty Springfield Atlantic Records album as planned in 1971. Real Gone Music s release of Faithful presents these historic Barry-Springfield collaborations exactly as they were originally intended to be heard, with the 12 tracks intended for the album release and one intended for single-only release. All tracks are in stereo, while the liner notes, penned by The Second Disc's Joe Marchese, feature a number of rarely-seen photos of the legendary singer. These stunning pop, soul and gospel flavored selections showcase the iconic singer at the height of her vocal magic. A missing/jumbled part of Dusty s august recorded legacy, finally set right!
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #465 on: April 03, 2015, 09:34:15 AM »

I'll have a look out for this Dusty release ibanez.

I've definitely got a Grant Green CD (two, I think) but not the one you mention.
To be honest, I buy modern jazz on a 'is it £3', 'do I like the cover', 'is it from the 50s or 60s' type way!

Huge quantities of old Blue Note and Impulse! CDs go for £3 each in Fopp in Covent Garden and I usually buy one when I'm in there, so I've got loads of the stuff without really understanding the nuances of it. 

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #466 on: April 03, 2015, 10:00:45 AM »

And I love Oasis too. I think the reason lots of people don't is because of the Gallaghers' arrogant attitude. I got into them with the lowest of expectations, thinking that I will hate their pompous asses and then I heard Definitely Maybe and it changed my life.
I can't say I found them life changing, but certainly very enjoyable. It was just so good to hear guitar driven pop songs on mainstream radio again. And I found Pulp and Blur a bit too arts colleges for my liking. And their haircuts were cool.
To be honest I found their arrogance really refreshing after years of introverted shoe gazing by bands. And let's face it rock and roll has always been about smoke and mirrors and people pretending to be something they're not. Dylan wasn't a wandering minstrel and Jagger wasn't a working class rebel. And I'm not sure the Gallaghers are as angry or arrogant as they would like us to believe.
World In Motion, Three Lions, peace in Northern Ireland, Russia done and China still p*ss-pot poor, Pulp Fiction making cinema edgy and cool again, Maggie out and Cool Brittania in, fields full of loved up dancing kids, the biggest thing to worry about was The Millenium Bug, The Queen smiled, the mass mourning of Diana, I had hair. Even The Spice Girls were cool. Friends and Men Behaving Badly on the telly.
"and after all, you're my Wonderwall".....sigh...
don't follow leaders

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #467 on: April 03, 2015, 03:47:43 PM »

Despite making their debut 30 years later, I'd argue that Oasis sound infinitely more dated today than the 45s by The Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Pretty Things, Small Faces and The Pink Floyd, circa '63-'68.
Pictures of them from the 1990s even look more dated, far more dated than, say, the Brian Jones-era Stones.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #468 on: April 03, 2015, 11:51:27 PM »

Its no secret that I'm not an Oasis fan, but I was listening to the 'Underground Garage' today on my way to work and the DJ (not sure who it was) said something in the vain of ,,,,"and you heard from the biggest band from Britain that wasn't the Beatles or the Stones,,,Oasis.  As big as they were over there, it didn't translate over here".  I always said they weren't that popular over here and people replied to me like I was an alien.  I'll never forget a few friends telling me how great they were and if you liked the Beatles, you were sure to like Oasis, so I bought 'Definitely Maybe' and 'Whats the Story Morning Glory' and I've never been so disappointed in 2 albums, as I was with those ones. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, maybe I underestimated how big they were across the pond. 

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #469 on: April 04, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »

They definitely shifted product alright, so much so that you can not move for Oasis CDs (and all the other Indie landfill of the time) in charity shops.

I see no reason why someone (why they would want to do this, goodness knows!) couldn't get the whole of Oasis's back catalogue for substantially less than the price of two pints of Guinness.   

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #470 on: April 04, 2015, 09:22:34 AM »

They definitely shifted product alright, so much so that you can not move for Oasis CDs (and all the other Indie landfill of the time) in charity shops.

I see no reason why someone (why they would want to do this, goodness knows!) couldn't get the whole of Oasis's back catalogue for substantially less than the price of two pints of Guinness.
I built my Beatles collection in the 70's from charity and second hand shops. When punk made them naff and there hadnt been enough time for nostalgia to set in ( ie for the fans to turn 40, have kids and yearn for the good old days of hair and youth) they were very easy to find.
You say they sound more dated than the sixties? Obviously I have to disagree with that, and have to say that as you openly admit hating anything in the world made after 1969 your ability to make objective opinions on this has to be questioned  :)
I would love to have seen your face when you heard Thunderbirds are coming back tonight (itv 5.00pm) five four three two ...
don't follow leaders

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #471 on: April 04, 2015, 06:18:51 PM »

It'll go the same way as the remake of 'The Italian Job', 'Alfie', 'The Avengers', 'The Prisoner', 'Get Carter'.
I can't think of any exception to the rule.
Bit of fuss, less fuss, completely forgotten.....see the 1990s.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #472 on: April 05, 2015, 08:40:01 AM »

It'll go the same way as the remake of 'The Italian Job', 'Alfie', 'The Avengers', 'The Prisoner', 'Get Carter'.
I can't think of any exception to the rule.
Bit of fuss, less fuss, completely forgotten.....see the 1990s.
It was awful. But as you say remakes always are
don't follow leaders

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #473 on: May 21, 2015, 08:00:18 AM »

Where were we? Oh yeah, 'charidee box' - 20 CDs for £27.61.
Now add Frank Zappa 'Lumpy Gravy' for £2 and for 30p each (!!!!!).....
Bob Dylan - 'Bringing It All Back Home'
Jimi Hendrix - 'Are You Experienced' (U.S. version)
Led Zeppelin (urge) - 'BBC Sessions' - the '69 stuff is the only 'Zep' I'll need
The Doors - 'The Doors' debut LP

Brought the average price right down!
25 CDs.....£30.81

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #474 on: May 22, 2015, 04:06:17 PM »

.....add to that:

Cream - Disraeli Gears
Cream - Wheels of Fire
Cream - The Very Best of Cream (hmmm, at much Cream as anyone needs)
The Beatles - Revolver
The Who - Tommy
Led Zeppelin - III (Led Zep go to make a folk LP.....and erm.....don't!)

10p - that's 10p - each.
31 CDs - £31.41

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #475 on: May 26, 2015, 04:40:40 PM »

Cream - The Very Best of Cream (hmmm, at much Cream as anyone needs)

If you're talking about the compilation released in 1995, I agree. It practically includes anything I need by Cream. Those who need long live jams or instrumentals like "Toad", should look for the original albums.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #476 on: May 26, 2015, 11:32:16 PM »

When they came to Australia they got massive bad PR, Liam in his first press conference said he could have stabbed a crew member, Australia turned there backs on them really after he said that. I like a couple of theyre songs like Wonderwall & Half The World Away but to me its all a bit same'y, they were good for their time, I always preferred The Smiths though with Morrissey singing.

Heres the story;

Liam Gallagher

Perhaps if they had been flying to Australia from the UK – a journey which can take up to 26 hours – you might excuse those bad boys from rock band, Oasis for being a bit fidgety. But in 1998, ahead of their tour of Australia, the band's members and their two dozen tag-alongs were making the much shorter journey from Hong Kong to Perth, on Australia's West Coast.

Apparently drunk before they got on board, lead singer Liam Gallagher defied the no-smoking policy on board the plane, and was promptly asked to stub out his cigarette. The Mancunian responded by throwing a hissy fit, thundering "obscene, offensive, and horribly abusive" language at other passengers.

While his brother Noel apparently slept, Gallagher began throwing food at those sat around him, encouraged by other band members, who promptly began raucous sing-alongs. The plane's captain threatened to conduct an emergency landing unless the group quietened down.

Eventually Gallagher led the stumbling entourage off the plane at Perth. Asked what he recalled of the event, he said: "Some panhead told me to shut up – some panhead who needs stabbing through the head with a f***ing pick-axe."

Following the flight, Cathay Pacific issued the Gallagher brothers and the rest of Oasis with a lifelong ban.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #477 on: June 18, 2015, 05:35:59 PM »

I sold off all my CD's.  Going the way of the do-do bird and 8-Tracks  ;D

Of course I put them all in my iTunes before getting rid of 'em!
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

BeatleChick

• A Beginning
« Reply #478 on: July 26, 2015, 04:51:47 AM »

I have acquired soooo many since I last posted on here, but, the most recent acquisitions are:

Santana - Sacred Fire: Live in South America
Santana - Freedom
Walking in the Sunshine: The Best of Bad Manners
Rice, Rice, Hillman & Pedersen
Alex Turner - Submarine
Woody Guthrie - Dust Bowl Ballads
The Best of Faces: Good Boys...
Elvis Costello - Spike
Jefferson Airplane - 2400 Fulton Street 
Billy Joel - 52nd Street
Jim Croce - Photographs & Memories: His Greatest Hits
The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out of This Country
The Charlatans UK - Tellin' Stories
Sex Pistols - Chaos
Marty Robbins' All-Time Greatest Hits
Secret Affair - Est 1979: 35th Anniversary Box Set
Purple Hearts - Smashing Time
Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
The Pentangle - Basket of Light
Great Days: The John Prine Anthology
Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - Rock Art and the X-Ray Style
Bonnie Raitt - Luck of the Draw
The Flaming Lips - Transmissions From the Satellite Heart
Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys - Take Me Back to Tulsa
Lightnin' Hopkins - Lightnin'
The Who - Who's Better, Who's Best
The Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man
Linda Ronstadt Featuring Aaron Neville - Cry Like a Rainstorm, Howl Like the Wind
Bonnie Raitt - The Glow
Bonnie Raitt - Road Tested
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Greatest Hits 2
John Lee Hooker - The Best of Friends
Los Lobos - Del Este De Los Angeles
Bonnie Raitt - Souls Alike
The Bangles - Different Light
Linda Ronstadt - What's New
Squeeze - Singles - 45's and Under
Rolling Stones - Flashpoint
20 of Hank Williams' Greatest Hits
Iggy Pop - Lust for Life
Strawberry Alarm Clock - The World in a Shell
Brian Wilson - Smile
The Times - I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape
Paul Weller - Saturns Pattern
.... among many others...
 ;D
Peace, Love, and Beatles!

KelMar

« Reply #479 on: July 26, 2015, 05:56:46 AM »

I have acquired soooo many since I last posted on here

That's a nice, eclectic list. BeatleChick. Welcome back!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25

Page created in 0.876 seconds with 88 queries.