Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: whats everyones favourite beatles albums in order  (Read 60394 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: whats everyones favourite beatles albums in order
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2010, 10:39:33 AM »

Say whatever you want, MMT feels quite like a Beatles album.  Whoever at Capitol put this together for a US release had a great idea - and good on Apple for following the lead and making it "canon".  All the songs hail from their psychedelic peak era - nothing on side B feels out of place.  The whole thing is altogether much more cohesive than a compilation like the Blue or Red albums, or 1, or even Let It Be for that matter...  ;D

But all pre -Pepper Capitol albums were cribbed in this way. Shouldn't we be ranking these? Or discussing the merits of Yesterday as a single?
How cohesive it is is irrelevant really. The Beatles had nothing to do with it, which alone should discredit it as an "album."
Tradition, people, tradition. Without tradition and rules and precedent we might as well all put our underpants on our heads and dance naked down the streets. I'm trying to save your lives here.
don't follow leaders

Delirious Lab

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2010, 09:54:41 PM »

we might as well all put our underpants on our heads and dance naked down the streets.

You say it like it's a bad thing.
They'll learn to like it someday.
- Ludwig "Rolling Over" Beethoven

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2010, 10:18:44 PM »

You say it like it's a bad thing.

Not on his head, but still.

The name's Emily :)

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
  • Nothing's gonna change my world.
    • Purple Prose Solo Music
« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2010, 03:04:53 PM »

Hahahahahahaha good old Johnny.  ;D

xxx

Limitless, undying love, which shines around me like a million suns, it calls me on and on, across the universe.
Proud author of "It's Only Love: A John Lennon Romance"!

Almighty Doer of Stuff

• A Beginning
« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2010, 08:19:30 PM »

I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if my opinion has been stated before, but even if it has this post still has merit because it includes my list. :P

I think that although The Beatles didn't specifically choose the track listing of Magical Mystery Tour, they clearly approved of it, because they could have easily placed the double EP and singles onto Past Masters like they did with all the other EPs and singles when making the CDs, but they didn't. Also, they didn't choose the track lists themselves for their early British albums either; as far as I'm aware, George Martin did that, and the Beatles main input was just approval, much like Magical Mystery Tour. The Beatles didn't care about the artistic integrity of the album as a whole in the early days. They only cared, in a loose way, about how it flowed. In fact, once the band broke up, they almost completely stopped making single-unit "art" records and considered them mostly as collections of individual tracks. Therefore, I think Magical Mystery Tour counts as a Beatles album worthy of serious discussion. And it's one of my favorites, to boot.

Here's my list of their canon albums, not including Love and Yellow Submarine Songtrack, which are just remixes and not original material, and Past Masters, which is merely a strictly chronological collection of singles and miscellanea and not ordered to be listened to as an album in its own right, unlike Magical Mystery Tour which was ordered in a coherent way:

1. Revolver
2. Magical Mystery Tour
3. Rubber Soul
4. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
5. The Beatles
6. Beatles For Sale
7. Please Please Me
8. Let It Be ...Naked
9. Let It Be
10. Yellow Submarine
11. Help!
12. A Hard Day's Night
13. With The Beatles

AngeloMysterioso

• A Beginning
« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2010, 09:40:56 PM »

I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if my opinion has been stated before, but even if it has this post still has merit because it includes my list. :P

I think that although The Beatles didn't specifically choose the track listing of Magical Mystery Tour, they clearly approved of it, because they could have easily placed the double EP and singles onto Past Masters like they did with all the other EPs and singles when making the CDs, but they didn't. Also, they didn't choose the track lists themselves for their early British albums either; as far as I'm aware, George Martin did that, and the Beatles main input was just approval, much like Magical Mystery Tour. The Beatles didn't care about the artistic integrity of the album as a whole in the early days. They only cared, in a loose way, about how it flowed. In fact, once the band broke up, they almost completely stopped making single-unit "art" records and considered them mostly as collections of individual tracks. Therefore, I think Magical Mystery Tour counts as a Beatles album worthy of serious discussion. And it's one of my favorites, to boot.

Here's my list of their canon albums, not including Love and Yellow Submarine Songtrack, which are just remixes and not original material, and Past Masters, which is merely a strictly chronological collection of singles and miscellanea and not ordered to be listened to as an album in its own right, unlike Magical Mystery Tour which was ordered in a coherent way:

1. Revolver
2. Magical Mystery Tour
3. Rubber Soul
5. The Beatles
6. Beatles For Sale
7. Please Please Me
8. Let It Be ...Naked
9. Let It Be
10. Yellow Submarine
11. Help!
12. A Hard Day's Night
13. With The Beatles

I entirely subscribe to your views, ADoS. In fact, one may suggest and argue that Yellow Submarine should not be included any more than the US Magical Mystery Tour LP.

Be that as it may, and after having perused the whole thread from its very beginning, I think I do understand that the British issues were exclusively chosen (over the US and/or other countries compilations and/or issues) for practical, if not conventional reasons pertaining with the present thread. All things considered, it appears to be the simplest way to achieve consistency: far from the best or most comprehensive way, but the simplest.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 03:59:02 PM by AngeloMysterioso »
Music's all right John, but you'll never make a living out of it.

filmsyncs

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2010, 04:58:03 PM »

Dear Sir,
I'm really suprised no one mentions The Blue and Red albums, or Oldies but Goldies, or their 65 greatest Hits package. Or Rareties, or any of the Anthologies, or Rock'n'roll, Love Songs, Live at the Hollywood Bowl...
MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR IS NOT A BEATLES ALBUM LIKE REVOLVER OR LET IT BE. It's an american compilation album, put together by Capitol execs, and is no more a Beatles album than Yesterday and Today etc. The Beatles had no say in either its track listing or release. It was finally released in the UK by Apple execs in the 70's after imports sold so well. But Yesterday and Got To Get You Into My Life were also released as singles in the UK in the 70's. Do we include them in our singles list? No. Because they weren't a Beatles sanctioned product issued while the band was alive. Tis the convention.
Of course everyone is going to like MMT - it's packed full of singles that had been successful long before the album's release. To include it distorts the picture. It has an unfair advantage. And it really, reaLLY F*CKS ME OFF!

Signed
Old and Outraged
London.

Dear Old and Outraged,

Seems you are distorting the facts about MMT.  NONE of those singles were released, let alone successful, "long before the album's release."  In fact, they were all released the same year with "Hello Goodbye" and "I am the Walrus" released in the UK only three days prior to the LP's release.   

The only thing odd about this whole bit was why EMI wasn't smart enough to release MMT as a LP from the get-go.

Finally, a clarifying question.  Say there was a document or other substantial proof that The Beatles knew and approved the Capital LP track listing and release ... would you be fine with MMT then?   

TheFoolOnTheHill

• One And One Is Two
  • He sees the world spinning 'round
« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »

1. Revolver
2. Rubber Soul
3. Help!
4. White Album
5. Sgt. Pepper's
6. Abbey Road
7. Magical Mystery Tour
8. A Hard Day's Night
9. Let It Be
10. Beatles For Sale
11. Please Please Me
12. With the Beatles
"It's all in the Mind you know!" --George Harrison

nimrod

« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2011, 06:58:15 AM »

Dear Old and Outraged,

Seems you are distorting the facts about MMT.  NONE of those singles were released, let alone successful, "long before the album's release."  In fact, they were all released the same year with "Hello Goodbye" and "I am the Walrus" released in the UK only three days prior to the LP's release.   

The only thing odd about this whole bit was why EMI wasn't smart enough to release MMT as a LP from the get-go.

Finally, a clarifying question.  Say there was a document or other substantial proof that The Beatles knew and approved the Capital LP track listing and release ... would you be fine with MMT then?   

the thing is, Kevin is correct..

If your going to use the UK albums and not the US ones in a best of list, then you cant include MMT as it wasnt an album in the UK

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2011, 06:40:45 PM »

If your going to use the UK albums and not the US ones in a best of list, then you cant include MMT as it wasnt an album in the UK

I know this is an old discussion, but I'd like to share my point of view.

The Beatles recording sessions can be divided in 12 different periods. Each period is mainly represented by an album. The only period that didn't give an official album in UK was the 9th one, corresponding to the recordings for the Magical Mystery Tour EP. So if we don't count the Magical Mystery Tour LP is like we are missing one important stage of the Beatles career.

On the other side, the Yellow Submarine LP didn't have its own recording sessions, since its songs were recorded during Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's and Magical Mystery Tour sessions. Thus, I think that Yellow Submarine is less a proper album than Magical Mystery Tour, no matter where the records were released.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Strawberry Field

• A Beginning
  • Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2011, 01:34:14 AM »

My favorites:

1. Rubber Soul
2. Revolver
3. A Hard Day's Night
4. Abbey Road
5. With The Beatles
6. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
7. The Beatles
8. Beatles For Sale
9. Help!
10. Let It Be
11. Please Please Me
12. Magical Mystery Tour

Although I think that A Hard Day's Night is their most consistently great album.

Elli

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2011, 07:20:04 AM »

It's really interesting to read all your opinions. I'll have to think about this, cos it feels too difficult to decide...  ;D

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2011, 08:00:31 AM »

I'm not counting MMT 'cause it's a compliation so that's that.  ha2ha
1.   Sgt.Pepper
2.   Revolver
3.   White album
4.   Abbey rd
5.   Rubber soul
6.   Let it be
7.   I don’t like any of the others.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

KelMar

« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2011, 03:46:11 AM »

It's really interesting to read all your opinions. I'll have to think about this, cos it feels too difficult to decide...  ;D

I have a hard time too, once I try to go past my top 2, which are Rubber Soul and Abbey Road. After that it tends to change frequently.

Elli

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2011, 10:11:52 AM »

Ok, I'll try...  ;D

Sgt. Pepper
Rubber Soul
Hard Day's Night
Help
Beatles For Sale
With The Beatles
Please Please Me
Let It Be
White Album
Revolver
Abbey Road
Yellow Submarine

...but it feels so wrong they all can't be number 1!! I just love them all ha2ha

KelMar

« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2011, 07:03:56 PM »

...but it feels so wrong they all can't be number 1!! I just love them all ha2ha

Let's just call them 1-A, 1-B etc.  :)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2011, 09:58:02 PM »

MMT might technically be a compilation, but all the songs on it were at the time recent and not released on any other album, so that makes it a regular album in my book. So I included it.

1. Magical Mystery Tour
2. Abbey Road
3. Let It Be
5. Rubber Soul
6. Revolver
7. A Hard Day's Night
8. Please Please Me
9. The White Album
10. With The Beatles
11. Beatles For Sale
12. Help
13. Yellow Submarine

Elli

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2011, 06:38:53 AM »

;D

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2011, 10:12:43 AM »

1. Rubber Soul
 2. Abbey Road
 3. White Album
 4. Sgt Peppers
 5. Revolver
 6. Help!
 7. Hard Day´s Night
 8. Let It Be
 9. Please Please Me
10. Beatles for Sale
11. With the Beatles
12. Yellow Submarine
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:33:36 AM by Brynjar »
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Strawberry Field

• A Beginning
  • Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2011, 03:57:07 PM »

Good idea, I should've done that!

1a. Rubber Soul
1b. Revolver
1c. A Hard Day's Night
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Page created in 1.248 seconds with 91 queries.