Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Microscope: Mind Games  (Read 14062 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Microscope: Mind Games
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2014, 02:49:10 AM »

Mind Games

I’m finally getting around to typing this up.  I love the microscopes and the response’s and opinions everybody share.  Hopefully we’ll keep them going.

Mind Games – This is my favorite John Lennon solo song ever.  I’m not sure what it is, but it just emits emotion and in my opinion, is the epitome of what a John Lennon song should be.  My cousin and I would always argue about what his greatest song was and he would choose ‘Number 9 Dream’ and I would choose this one.  Anyways, onto the song.  It starts off with a fade in of a super high note on what I can only think to be a violin.  I’m probably wrong.  Speaking of being wrong, I cant tell what the repeating loop is being played on during each bar.  Is it a whining guitar or maybe a organ or some sort?  I don’t know, but I like it.  Jim Keltner’s drums have that muddy sound that seems to be a trademark on most of Johns solo efforts.  That voice though.  When John starts singing, he grabs me.  I’m not a John solo fan as most around here know, but this song gets me for some reason.  At the 1:15 mark when John comes in with ‘Love is the answer’, I love the plucking rhythm guitar and Gordon Edwards bass.  2:05 love the organ or mellotron.  Awesome.  John’s vocals are double tracked throughout and seem tight.  I could go on about how fantastic this song is, but I’ve rambled enough.

Tight A$’ – I always envision line dancing at some country bar when I hear this tune.  It has a nice beat to it with actually some funky drumming by Keltner that makes it more interesting then it probably should be.  John’s nasal twang voice sounds good.  I’m not crazy about the guitar solos.  They aren’t bad, but they don’t excite me either.  All in all its an ok song if I haven’t heard it for awhile, but nothing I would ever go search for.

Aisumasen (I’m Sorry) – Bluesy number.  This song always got old with me quick.  It just seems like a typical, run of the mill John song that he’s done a million times before.  I love his voice though.  He puts on a good show and throws some effort into it, but its just a boring ass song that goes on too long.  It’s a pass for me.

One Day (At A Time) – This song is awful.  That high pitched voice and those background vocals that remind me of Yucko,,,urgh.  I’m annoyed with Keltners echo effect on his snare too.  Horrible.  Bass sounds good and Gordon can play.  This song just grates on me and a definite pass.  Sometimes I wonder how John can get behind songs like these.

Bring On The Lucie (Freeda Peeple) – I’m not much of a slide guitar man and this song (actually this album) isn’t swaying my opinion.  Here’s a song that just plods along and never goes anywhere.  John preaches behind a monotonous song like he has done so often before.  The only saving grace for me is that damn bass.  Sounds great.  Hate this song.

Nutopian International Anthem – Why?

Intuition – Dig the shuffle beat.  I have to mention the bass again.  Goodness.  Keltner does some sweet drumming here too with buzz rolls and so forth.  Like Johns voice.  The guitar and mellotron in the background sound a little chaotic but in a good way.  Cool organ solo.  Little sax at the end too just to wet your whistle.  I like this song a lot.

Out The Blue – Guitar intro reminds me of a cross between Julia and Across The Universe.  Sounds great.  John sings along and then the band comes in at the :38 mark.  There’s that slide again.  Listen at the chords and music from the :45 to :50 mark.  It’s “Valotte’ by Julian.  Coincidence?  Hmmm.  Love the backgrounds at the 1:05 point.  The piano at 1:15 is nice.  1:45 John’s voice,,,,awesome.  2:22 weird break followed by some really great piano.  I’m torn on this song.  I like it, but I don’t want to.  I feel it’s a tad tedious, but I wont skip it.

Only People – Funky Stevie Wonder sounding intro.  Nice beat to the song and it’s a real toe tapper, but I have an issue with it.  I cant listen to this song without thinking of the Coca-Cola commercial with all the people singing ‘I’d Like To Teach The World To Sing(In Perfect Harmony).  It detracts from the listening enjoyment.  I realize I have issues.  Anyways, I really dig the background vocals and the organ playing is top notch.  It’s a good song.

I Know (I Know) – Whats up with all these song titles in parentheses?  Sheesh.  The beginning reminds me of ‘I Got A Feeling’.  Nice guitar sound.  I love John’s voice when he busts in at the :30 mark with ‘And I Know’.  At the 1:25 mark, John double tracks his voice, but he’s singing in a higher range in one channel then the other and sounds amazing.  After saying all of these nice things, its kind of a boring song.  Filler, if I must go to that term.  Nothing special but inoffensive.  It would receive a skip.

You Are Here – Slow song with a nice organ and some slide guitar.  Like a dreamy Hawaiian song.  Relaxing.  Dare I say that the background vocals sound like Linda McCartney and Wings?  Regardless, this song is nice and remember enjoying it when I smoked in my younger days. 

Meat City – Little rocker that has some damn good sounding guitars from the :20 to :30 mark until the break when the baby talks (that’s how I refer to it).  That kills the song for me and it only lasts for like 1 second.  This could have been a contender but that one part kills any seriousness I have for it.  Disappointing. Keltner plays some mean skins (maybe it was Marotta), especially his ride work.  Song even gives you some backwards music ala Beatles at the 1:00 point.  Basically the song has 3 or 4 breaks and does something silly or off the wall for a brief second before they come back in.  It’s a pretty decent rocker, but again nothing special.

This album is a mixed bag (like all John records in my opinion).  You have the great opener and title track (in which nothing on the record comes close to it), a couple of decent tracks, a few snoozers, and one or two abominations.  All that being said, I enjoyed listening to it.  It had been a long time since I’ve heard it and I cant emphasize enough how refreshing it was to not hear Yoko at any point.  Not my favorite John album, but I do like it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2014, 03:15:19 AM »

Great reviews Cor and Mr. M.  We all seem to be a bit all over the place with this offering.  I think that's great for some reason.

Ollier

• A Beginning
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2014, 04:44:15 AM »

Ooooo look. This years Microscope. I shall maybe give it a go you know...
Keeping you on your toes...

Bobber

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2014, 06:09:19 AM »

Ooooo look. This years Microscope. I shall maybe give it a go you know...

At least my contributions to this forum are in general more constructive than yours.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2014, 03:01:38 PM »

I have to say I agree with you on all your points. When I saw this on Microscopes the only song I could actually remember was Mind Games. When I finally found a site on You Tube with Mind Games that wasn't banned in my country I gave it a listen and found a couple more that were familiar which for me says something!
I think John writes best when he's angry at something! And this period was his  "Waning radical politics, I love Paul, post Primal Scream...! He's lost! All the turmoil that made him John are in remission. He had to go to L.A. not long after this and get ripped, embarrassed etc... to write a few good songs for Walls and Bridges! After that I think he was basically done. After that he went recluse and was silent for 5 years till Double Fantasy! You have to give it to though as his ability to reinvent himself is amazing!
Musically I  think he's lost too! There are some good parts but the slide is Georges influence, The falsetto's on One Day seem to me to be an attempt at musically making John and Yoko ( Joko, Yohn ) as one! Old news! The back ups with bass and drums are excellent but can't carry the album.
If I had to place this album in a contemporary Solo Beatles place I would put it along side Wings Wildlife. Not for the style of music but that they both felt that they might be washed up! Paul as his style was got over it and went at it aggressively. John reinvented himself and came back later!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Ollier

• A Beginning
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2014, 11:48:12 PM »

At least my contributions to this forum are in general more constructive than yours.

My views to things are on point and entirely accurate in as the summation of the detailed revelation, towards a correct outcome, where all are uplifted, benefited immensely and satisfied on all sides of the view and from every angle, towards a successful and succinct explanation. To disagree is severe policy and if you choose so you shall incur the ill of all my Kin, past and future. You have picked an argument that you cannot win.

I prefer this...

John Lennon Bring On The Lucie Freeda Peeple Version
Keeping you on your toes...

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2014, 12:14:59 AM »

My views to things are on point and entirely accurate in as the summation of the detailed revelation, towards a correct outcome, where all are uplifted, benefited immensely and satisfied on all sides of the view and from every angle, towards a successful and succinct explanation. To disagree is severe policy and if you choose so you shall incur the ill of all my Kin, past and future. You have picked an argument that you cannot win.

Are you related to Sir Humphrey Appelby, Ollier?  ;)

http://youtu.be/8keZbZL2ero

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2014, 12:21:43 AM »

I prefer this...

John Lennon Bring On The Lucie Freeda Peeple Version

That's got quite a nice groove to it.  It's one of the better songs on the album I think.

It's funny that John so often either used George on his records or got others to play in a similar style. Same with Ringo really. John apparently often asked for Ringo like playing.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:53:24 AM by Moogmodule »
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 53 queries.