Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Microscope: Forever Changes (Love)  (Read 34930 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Microscope: Forever Changes (Love)
« on: November 03, 2011, 02:09:43 AM »

This is another record which I consider that deserves its own Microscope: Forever Changes by Love, released at the end of 1967. A lost gem of the 1960’s, though it has got considerable appreciation over the years. The album is slightly psychedelic, it has an acoustic spirit but the electric guitars are still very present, and the lyrics are usually non-sense but still interesting. Arthur Lee was certainly a genius. It's said to be the American Sgt. Pepper's, and I tend to agree with that.

Alone Again Or. The virtual hit of the album if it would have had one. Everything is great here: from the gentle acoustic guitar parts to the crescendo singing to the wonderful orchestrated middle. Well done, Bryan MacLean.

A House Is Not A Motel. Probably my favourite song on the album. Love the line "the news today will be the movies of tomorrow". Bass and drums sound great. I especially love the instrumental end of the track, with an amazing dialogue between two electric guitars.

Andmoreagain. The great ballad of the album. The general feeling reminds me a bit to the Beatles' "Girl", with that Greek acoustic guitar playing. A highlight.

The Daily Planet. Yet another marvelous song with a marvelous intro. Apparently this track was mostly recorded by session musicians. Nevertheless, they did a great job. Guitars, bass and especially the drums sound wonderful. Can't help but playing air drums at the end of the song.

Old Man. The second and last MacLean's track. It's a nice ballad and I have nothing really bad to say about it, though somehow it loses some of the magic of the album.

The Red Telephone. Perhaps the most psychedelic track on the record. It's an interesting song though a bit silly and even more non-sense than the rest of the album. The line "count me out (in)" at 2:48 (at least that's what I hear) makes me wonder if John Lennon listened to it and got the idea to use that on "Revolution".

Maybe The People Would Be The Times Or Between Clark And Hilldale. A long non-sense title for a song that doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. The interesting thing about this song is that it's made of unfinished lines that are continued on the next section of the track. All those trumpets give the song a Latin feeling. At 1:43 it seems that Arthur sings sounding like a trumpet at the same time with a real trumpet, nice effect. Very good song.

Live And Let Live. Another favourite of mine. Love the long lead guitar playing, it deserves every second dedicated to it. I guess it was John Echols, good for him.

The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This. Another long non-sense song title. The tune is quite beautiful and the orchestration suits very well. The end is quite weird, as if fragments of the orchestration were cut and then played without those parts.

Bummer In The Summer. Some have said that this may be the first rap song ever, but it actually sounds a lot like Jefferson Airplane's "Plastic Fantastic Lover", released earlier the same year. The song is good enough, though it's not one of the best of the album in my opinion.

You Set The Scene. The epic end of the album, built of several different sections, and it would be fair saying that it's the best song of the record. If Forever Changes is the American Sgt. Pepper's, this song is the American "A Day In The Life". I especially like the line "you think you're happy and you're happy, that's what you're happy for", quite silly but still true. The end of the song with those triumphant trumpets is magnificent. A masterpiece.

Nothing more to say about this masterpiece, just to recommend it to those who haven't listened to it yet.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 02:15:10 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
Re: Microscope: Forever Changes (Love)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 03:03:21 AM »

Hi Hombre_de_ningun_lugar! How are you? I LOVE the FOREVER CHANGES album by LOVE! This is definitely a great album! Here's one from the FOREVER CHANGES album, enjoy!

LOVE - Live and Let Live (lyrics included, 1967)

nimrod

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 03:38:28 AM »

This album had a huge & massive effect on me at the age of 16

I think it brought out some artistic tendencies or something, I couldnt stop playing it

Arthur Lee toured with the album before he died (obviously without the wonderfull Bryan McLean) Im very glad he did, I love the DVD.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 04:34:02 AM »

Great album. One of my top 5 for sure. I was just thinking though, that I cannot for the life of me turn any of my friends onto it for some reason. I believe they think that my taste in music is so weird that they dont give it a chance. Oh well.

I will review this one soon. Maybe tonight if work isnt too hectic.

nimrod

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 05:30:24 AM »

even just reading the names of the songs on the cover used to make me conjure up magical images and that photo on the back cover was  intriguing with the broken vase..

nimrod

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 05:31:32 AM »

I always wondered which one was Bryan Maclean

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 03:37:19 PM »

I always wondered which one was Bryan Maclean

I think he was the second guy, the blonde one with a moustache.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 03:38:05 PM »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 07:40:25 PM »

Great album. One of my top 5 for sure. I was just thinking though, that I cannot for the life of me turn any of my friends onto it for some reason.

I think that 'Forever Changes' just isn't a very accessible album. Ever since I got my copy about five years ago I've been listening to it once every few months, hoping that the quarter would finally drop, but so far it still hasn't. It's just the type of music I should like and I can hear that it's really good, but so far only 'Alone Again Or' and 'The Red Telephone' have managed to really sink in.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 07:45:29 PM »

Something that I thought was interesting: Bryan MacLean was the half-brother of Maria McKee, who wrote two UK #1 hits in the 80s: 'A Good Heart' for Feargal Sharkey, and 'Show Me Heaven', which she recorded herself.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 09:02:04 PM »

I think that 'Forever Changes' just isn't a very accessible album. Ever since I got my copy about five years ago I've been listening to it once every few months, hoping that the quarter would finally drop, but so far it still hasn't. It's just the type of music I should like and I can hear that it's really good, but so far only 'Alone Again Or' and 'The Red Telephone' have managed to really sink in.

I actually think the record is more accessible than other contemporaneous albums of the time, like Jefferson Airplane's After Bathing At Baxter's or the Byrds' The Notorious Byrd Brothers. I even think that the production of Forever Changes is closer to Pet Sounds than other psychedelic albums. But sure it's an album that needs time to get into.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:39:43 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 09:03:10 PM »

Something that I thought was interesting: Bryan MacLean was the half-brother of Maria McKee, who wrote two UK #1 hits in the 80s: 'A Good Heart' for Feargal Sharkey, and 'Show Me Heaven', which she recorded herself.

nimrod

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 09:24:14 PM »

Here's another from LOVE! Enjoy!

Love - 10 - Bummer In The Summer

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 09:54:29 PM »

cheers Hombre  :)

Thanks. That was just a lucky coincidence while looking for a picture of Bryan. ;)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 12:36:55 AM »

'The Daily Planet' is my favorite.

Love - 04 - The Daily Planet

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 01:37:31 AM »

Alone Again Or – Reminds me of a Mexican movie song with the horns and the mariachi style percussion and so forth. Nice beat and I love the acoustic guitar and bass. Drummer is solid throughout the entire album. Great trumpet solo with the strings accompanying. Nice song and album starter.

A House Is Not A Motel – Love the drums on this song. I’m going to start to learn this tune next week (I’ve decided). I enjoy the whole frantic, tense feeling the song gives off. Absolutely love the guitar and drums at the 2:20 mark. The ending is one of madness and panic with the dueling leads. I love this tune.

Andmoreagain – They slow it down a little bit here. Strings are gorgeous throughout. Love the drummer on this one too. His dynamics make the song in my opinion. Nice song.

The Daily Planet – My favorite on the album. When I first started listening to this album, this song reminded me of the Who for some reason. The bass and drums are killer once again. Great acoustic playing too. Lee’s voice is top notch. Middle section is nice, but too short. Left me wanting for more. Awesome tune.

Old Man – Another slower, melodic song. A powerful song in my opinion. Strings are fantastic as usual. Don’t have much more to add other than everybody should give it a listen.

The Red Telephone – Another great song. It’s hard for me to explain this song. It’s a slower tune, but with tremendous emotion. A song that demands the listener to do just that,,,listen. One that I enjoy a lot.

Maybe The People Would Be The Times Or Between Clark And Hilldale – Quick paced tune with heavy brass. Love the guitar playing and drums. Melodic as every song on this album seems to be. Another winner.

Live And Let Live – Awesome song here. Starts off with a trite feeling and then falls into an emotional outcry in the middle. One of my favorites. Guitar playing and drums are stellar as usual.

The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This – Nice slower tune. Brass heavy again with plenty of strings, but don’t fool yourself into thinking this song is mundane. It doesn’t just sit around. It does have a few parts where the brass and drums play together at odd beats and you wonder if your CD has a skip. Don’t fret, it’s the way the song is. Weird and I probably wouldn’t have done that.

Bummer In The Summer – Great acoustic playing here. Piano adds too. Thumping tune that’s played well. Fun song. Byrds style guitar solo.

You Set The Scene – Probably my second favorite on the album. What a way to end an album. Drummer kicks once again. Check the bass playing too. Love the quick pace and the strings. 2:06 give me goosebumps for some reason and then the song falls into a somewhat monotonous segment, but yet its not annoying. Too powerful for that. Love this song.

Awesome album, but as I forewarn people who are just starting out with this record, a good bit of it sounds the same and that can be a turn off. I’m convinced if a fan of music gave this album 10 listens, he would be hooked without question. Definitely a top 5 for me.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 01:41:00 AM »

'The Daily Planet' is my favorite.

Love - 04 - The Daily Planet

Hi tkitna! How are you? Now you're talking, I love "The Daily Planet" also. Here's another from LOVE, take care and enjoy!

Love - 07 - Maybe the people would be the times or between Clark and Hilldale

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 02:19:11 AM »

Alone Again Or – Reminds me of a Mexican movie song with the horns and the mariachi style percussion and so forth. Nice beat and I love the acoustic guitar and bass. Drummer is solid throughout the entire album. Great trumpet solo with the strings accompanying. Nice song and album starter.

A House Is Not A Motel – Love the drums on this song. I’m going to start to learn this tune next week (I’ve decided). I enjoy the whole frantic, tense feeling the song gives off. Absolutely love the guitar and drums at the 2:20 mark. The ending is one of madness and panic with the dueling leads. I love this tune.

Andmoreagain – They slow it down a little bit here. Strings are gorgeous throughout. Love the drummer on this one too. His dynamics make the song in my opinion. Nice song.

The Daily Planet – My favorite on the album. When I first started listening to this album, this song reminded me of the Who for some reason. The bass and drums are killer once again. Great acoustic playing too. Lee’s voice is top notch. Middle section is nice, but too short. Left me wanting for more. Awesome tune.

Old Man – Another slower, melodic song. A powerful song in my opinion. Strings are fantastic as usual. Don’t have much more to add other than everybody should give it a listen.

The Red Telephone – Another great song. It’s hard for me to explain this song. It’s a slower tune, but with tremendous emotion. A song that demands the listener to do just that,,,listen. One that I enjoy a lot.

Maybe The People Would Be The Times Or Between Clark And Hilldale – Quick paced tune with heavy brass. Love the guitar playing and drums. Melodic as every song on this album seems to be. Another winner.

Live And Let Live – Awesome song here. Starts off with a trite feeling and then falls into an emotional outcry in the middle. One of my favorites. Guitar playing and drums are stellar as usual.

The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This – Nice slower tune. Brass heavy again with plenty of strings, but don’t fool yourself into thinking this song is mundane. It doesn’t just sit around. It does have a few parts where the brass and drums play together at odd beats and you wonder if your CD has a skip. Don’t fret, it’s the way the song is. Weird and I probably wouldn’t have done that.

Bummer In The Summer – Great acoustic playing here. Piano adds too. Thumping tune that’s played well. Fun song. Byrds style guitar solo.

You Set The Scene – Probably my second favorite on the album. What a way to end an album. Drummer kicks once again. Check the bass playing too. Love the quick pace and the strings. 2:06 give me goosebumps for some reason and then the song falls into a somewhat monotonous segment, but yet its not annoying. Too powerful for that. Love this song.

Awesome album, but as I forewarn people who are just starting out with this record, a good bit of it sounds the same and that can be a turn off. I’m convinced if a fan of music gave this album 10 listens, he would be hooked without question. Definitely a top 5 for me.

Very good review tkitna. Thanks for sharing it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 05:46:46 AM »

Very good review tkitna. Thanks for sharing it.

Not as in depth as yours, but this is your show. Great freaking record regardless. De Capo is awesome too and would rank higher in my list of Revelations wasnt there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Page created in 0.603 seconds with 81 queries.