Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44

Author Topic: How Did YOU Discover The Beatles?  (Read 184271 times)

Patton

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's all in the mind.
Re: How Did YOU Discover The Beatles?
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2004, 04:24:44 AM »

Wow that's a new one.
Adam Priestle

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2004, 08:49:29 PM »

The Beatles were always there. From birth. I always knew of them and loved them. Maybe The Yellow Submarine was the first time I saw them. Who knows. They used to play it every 4th of July.  I just cannot remember a time when I didn't know about them. I used to torture my friends talking about them endlessly! Well, Paul is WAY cuter than Andy Gibb! (My friends 70's heart throb)

Beatle Ed

• Getting Better
  • //0-0\\//- -\\
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2004, 09:26:23 AM »

1995 beatles anthology, my parents forced me to tape it for them. I didn't want to cus I didn't want anything to to with that friggin "old" band. Now I love them more than My parents do!!

mccann

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2004, 10:24:07 AM »

I first discovered them on all the news coverage on the day John got killed. I remember watching TV and thinking , when I saw footage of them, that I would like to do that. Totally changed my life forever.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2004, 10:21:20 PM »

It's a long story, and a lot of you don't actually READ the stories anyhoo, but please stick with me:

At first I was a casual fan.  Heck, I liked the Beach Boys way better than the Beatles.  I also did not know what they were about -- I only knew of Ticket to Ride, Hello Goodbye, Penny Line, Come Together, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, Your Gonna Lose that Girl, Twist and Shout, A Hard Day's Night, and Yellow Submarine, their most popular ones or ones I just heard.  I didn't even know Mr. Postman, I Shoulda Known Better, and Eight Days a Week were sung by the Beatles!

That said, I watched a Beatles commercial advertising a CD they were selling.  I listened to a portion of Let It Be being played, and I had also heard my friend playing it on piano weeks prior.  I thought it sounded nice, so I found a recording of it and played it.  My God, it was beautiful.  I let it repeat about 10 times until I fell in love with that song and, more importantly, Macca.

Eventually, I came across that 60IF Paul is Dead site with "Undeniable Proof that Paul McCartney was really replaced by a lookalike", and got really freaked out: Could Let It Be be sung by an imposter?!?!?! Nooo! *ahem* Anyhoo, I eventually downloaded Beatles videos off KaZaa (including Let It Be), and became interested in the songs, so I found CDs of those songs and fell in love with them.  Then I had this dumb idea that all songs on Let It Be would be great ballads like the aforementioned song, so I looked for songs off that album.  The country thing took me a month to get over (I now love songs like Get Back), but I did listen to The Long and Winding Road and thought it was incredible.  I searched for PID clues in the songs and came across more and more songs, and now I am a fanatic with 2 Beatles shirts, an Abbey Road frame in my room, and a sketch of one of their photo shoots.

The Beatles rule :)

NGM

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2004, 10:45:01 PM »

My uncle played them at a party. Loved em ever since.

GL

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2004, 01:37:25 AM »

I was aware of the Beatles for quite some time, but I didn't really get into them until a few years ago when my parents bought the White Album on CD, since they used to listen to it on LP all the time, but they didn't have it anymore.  Anyway, listening to that, as well as my cousin's Abbey Road CD and "1" compilation got me into them.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2004, 03:33:59 AM »

i bought some bubble gum cards..........

ringorama

• A Beginning
  • Control yourself, you'll spurt
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2004, 03:02:02 AM »

Well, my mom became a Beatles fan god knows when, but since before I was born. So I grew up with the Beatles. Since I could talk I've been singing Beatles songs, and I grew up being told that Paul McCartney was god's gift to the world (lol, my mom REALLY likes Paul)-I now disagree with that, but we wont go there! But anyway, my friend's sister from youth group went to London and got her this Beatle's purse, and my friend was talking about it and was like "I don't even like the beatles so i'll probably give it back to her" and I was like "I'll buy it off you!" I ended up getting it for free, but then I was at the library looking at movies and I ran across Help! so I rented it. That really made me become a huge Beatles fan.  ;D

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2004, 12:08:11 PM »

I guess Beatles had been in my life years before I became interested. One day I was browsing for a CD and there is was, Beatles 1. I must have listened to it 5 times that day.  I was hooked, especially after I got a hold of Rubber Soul.

Bacchus

• A Beginning
  • I've got a feeling
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2004, 03:28:42 PM »

Back in 80 when i was 12 or so,john lennon was shot.I knew who the beatles were because my brothers and sister would listen to them ,so i had been exposed to them at an early age but wasn't yet listening to music.But once lennon was shot it woke me up musically and i became aware and went out and bought all the beatle albums that i could.I would come home from school and shut the door and listen to them over and over.the first album I ever bought was  67-70 with blue vinyl.

Taxgirl

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2004, 10:59:17 AM »

I was around 8 when I first saw "Help". It immediately made me a Beatles fan.

scoopdogg73

• One And One Is Two
  • I AM THE SUN KING
    • spoilednation
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2004, 06:40:52 PM »

My oldest brother was a huge beatles fan. He was able to turn a few of us siblings on to this beatle thing.  My mother actually loves them as well-which is odd if you ever knew my mother.  So, all my life I've known quite a bit about the beatles, being that my oldest brother was my idol.  I listened to everything he had to say about them and listened to the lps continuously.  I really didn't become a "fan" until i was around 16 (the rebellious years of my youth).  The "hair band" music of that time period didn't satisfy my rebel attitude. The Poisons and Def Leppards were too fake and cookie-cutter.  The beatles were REAL.  I would get lost in "Sgt. Pepper" and "the white album".  I actually first learned about hallucinogenic drugs through the beatles.  Didn't know what LSD was until reading about the misconception of "Lucy in the Sky..."  Anyway, I could ramble on forever about the beatles.  That's my story!

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2004, 12:45:33 PM »

I had heard bits and pieces from the band....one day, I decided to purchase Abbey Road....unfortunately, it led to an addiction that I'm sure the rest of you all suffer as well.

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

Stratford

• A Beginning
  • Young and unlearned
    • Lair of tilly
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2004, 03:18:22 PM »

Strangely, I've always been familiar with 60s music from my mother, who felt the music died not long after - but still, she very, very seldom listened to the Beatles, therefore I wasn't very familiar with them neither. I knew the odd solo-McCartney singel and a few Beatles standards, but nothing big.

When I was about 9 years old we had this silly music teacher who was also a big Beatles fan - he taught us about the Paul is Dead hoax, and you can believe me when I tell you that is a great way to scare the wits out of 9 year olds! :o

Speaking of teachers, I remember fondly a teacher I had a few years down the line who cared passionately about music, Beatles included. He played us Blackbird and told us to feel and love each chord, each syllable... It quite opened my eyes to how great and influential music can really be. I'm very grateful to that teacher learning me to really recognise wonderful music.
You can have my love, you can have my smiles. Forget the bad parts, you don't need them. Just take the music, the goodness, because it's the very best, and it's the part I give most willingly.
George Harrison[/righ

Vintage Wine

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2004, 02:58:25 PM »

Hi, I'm a newbie.!  So glad to find a good Beatles site!

I'm a child of the late 60's, so the Beatles were still active and recording when I was born.  I vividly remember their breakup in 1970.  Some family friends had teenagers at the time who were in love with The Beatles and had their entire rooms covered in Beatles posters and played "The White Album" all the time.

bizmopeen

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2004, 08:10:26 PM »

I had always known about thier music, but starngely enough, it was Beatles cartoon reruns in the late 70's when I was in junior high that really got me turned onto them.  I bought a copy of "Yesterday and Today" and haven't looked back since...

ben

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2004, 03:09:01 PM »

when i was eleven or twelve, but obviously on december 8th, i heard a special about them on the radio in memoriam johns dying day. and when magical mystery tour came aloud i wasn't able to close my mouth. so i decided to become a beatles fan! this is my first love, still burning!

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2004, 09:40:52 PM »

I went to an impersenator of the Beatles and i loved the music so i went and bought cd's and listened to them over and over again. good thing i went to the impersenator concert, i probably wouldve never liked the beatles. before that i didnt like them at all.

Paul McCartney :)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2004, 10:11:36 PM »

I can't remember a specific time or thing that got me into the Beatles. I just always rememer loving them. Maybe I saw the Yellow Submarine or Help when I was little and got hooked. They used to actually play those movies on t.v. But who knows. They are so EVERYWHERE it's hard not to get exposed to them at a very early age. I know six year olds that can tell you the history of the Beatles. I think I was one of them. How I came to be that way I cannot remember! I think Paul's face had a lot to do with it though. ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 83 queries.