Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Let It Be  (Read 34272 times)

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
Re: Let It Be
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2009, 07:42:59 AM »

I bought a copy of LIB off ebay. My fav part is when paul brings his daugther in and she bangs on ringos drum and he acts like she made him jump its sooo funny

I love that part too! I had to keep playing it over and over it was so cute. And when she runs up to George and gives him a hug. :)

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2009, 10:57:20 PM »

Hi everybody, long time no chat!

I was forever searching for Let it Be on video for years, and then last year looked for it on YouTube. There it was, divided into about 10 or 12 10-minute segments.

Of course I'd heard all about the movie for years, and when I watched it, it was slightly different than I expected. I was anticipating all sorts of arguments and tensions being played out in the studio. Instead, the pervasive mood by the band (except for Paul) was one of lethargy. When he wasn't singing, John barely spoke and definitely looked strung out.

The famous "fight" between Paul and George was more awkward than anything. That was the only real direct conflict shown in the movie. Although supposedly John and George actually came to blows during the sessions (either not filmed or the footage was buried).

So, I would agree with the past posters who found the film depressing to watch.

I'm glad I saw it though. It's a document of history.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2009, 01:21:32 PM »

Im glad I picked up a DVD copy of the film in Beatle Week 2005

moonbeam34

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2009, 05:36:21 AM »

I read in a book (can't remember which one, I've read so many) that "LIB....Naked" was released on dvd. Fact or fabrication?

Whoeveriam

• A Beginning
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2009, 06:36:17 AM »

I think I recall there being rumors of it coming out around the release of the Naked album and then again in 2004 or 5, but nothing as yet, I think it was all cleaned up and ready because in an interview the McCartney one said that the album came from him bumping into director Lindsey-Hogg who said he wanted to put it out on official DVD release.

Found this from wiki:

The movie was remastered from the original 16 mm film negative by Apple in 1992, with a few of those scenes used in The Beatles Anthology documentary. After additional remastering, a DVD release was planned to accompany the 2003 release of Let It Be… Naked, including a second DVD of bonus material, but it never materialized. In February 2007, Apple Corps' Neil Aspinall said, "The film was so controversial when it first came out. When we got halfway through restoring it, we looked at the outtakes and realized: this stuff is still controversial. It raised a lot of old issues."

An anonymous industry source told the Daily Express in July 2008 that, according to Apple insiders, McCartney and Starr blocked the release of the film on DVD. The two were concerned about the effect on the band's "global brand ... if the public sees the darker side of the story. Neither Paul nor Ringo would feel comfortable publicising a film showing The Beatles getting on each other's nerves ... There’s all sorts of extra footage showing more squabbles but it’s unlikely it will ever see the light of day in Paul and Ringo’s lifetime.”

I don't thnk anything about the project was right. The whole things got a nasty b****y cold atmosphere to it. On a personal point the first time I got the tombstone album I played it whilst the family was in the room and some 'unreleated' arguement developed. The first time I watched the movie I did it with a bottle of whiskey and I thought it would be cool to smoke some cigarettes... I'm still smoking after about 6 or 7 years. So I say bugger Let It Be. Funk Magical Mystery Tour instead.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 06:57:30 AM by Whoeveriam »

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 11:41:17 PM »

I agree that it's definitely depressing, but I must admit, I LOVE Paul's vocals in that movie.

The name's Emily :)

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2009, 06:06:42 PM »

Just rewatched this yesterday, and ironically enough, I feel like the more times I watch it, the less depressing it is. Not sure why. But I never really got the part before where they were talking about the footage of themselves while they were in India. I thought it was funny how Paul was talking to John about how when John went up in the helicopter and the, "I was hoping he'd slip me the answer" bit, just because Paul tells the same story in the Anthology.

The name's Emily :)

sewi

• Getting Better
  • Life is short
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2009, 04:42:44 PM »

Just rewatched this yesterday, and ironically enough, I feel like the more times I watch it, the less depressing it is. Not sure why. But I never really got the part before where they were talking about the footage of themselves while they were in India. I thought it was funny how Paul was talking to John about how when John went up in the helicopter and the, "I was hoping he'd slip me the answer" bit, just because Paul tells the same story in the Anthology.
I have never seen it as a depressing film either.I enjoy the music and scenes like that one you have mentioned or the Octopuses' Garden with George and Ringo and entering John playing the drums or John and Paul singin into one mic Two Of Us and several othars.Another kind of Beatles' myth?Well, I would not say that but nearly.I think I am going to rewatch it this evening.;-)
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make

Bobber

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2010, 07:18:11 AM »

Apple drops another hint that Beatles 'Let It Be' movie may come to DVD

BBC Radio online features 'Let It Be' 40th anniversary audio special for limited time On this date in Beatles history, the Fab Four just 'Let It Be'

If you don't catch BBC Radio's 40th anniversary tribute special about "Let It Be" before it goes offline in the next few days, you'll miss a possible ray of hope for anyone wishing for the movie to get re-released or finally come out on DVD.

At the very end of the hourlong broadcast, announcer Guy Garvey says "The word is from Apple is that work has begun on the restoration of the film with a future re-release at a future date still to be determined."

That moves ahead from what we had exclusively on our Abbeyrd Beatles Page site from an Apple spokesman in 2008. "We do have plans to release it some time in the future," we were told at the time. Of course, we've been hearing statements that "Let It Be" is in the cards for some time, but an acknowledgement that work has finally begun on the movie is indeed a positive sign.

The show goes offline June 1.

maywitch

• A Beginning
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2010, 04:24:52 PM »

I never really saw the film as all that depressing either.  It's a documentary, there are plenty of band documentaries out there that show the "darker side" of the band they are documenting.  And I think the music is great.  Let It Be isn't my favorite album but I still think some of the songs are really great and I still love watching them do that rooftop concert.

So Paul and Ringo should definitely let it get released on DVD. 

Though I agree Magical Mystery Tour needs a good DVD release as well. 

Timeless

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2010, 11:23:43 PM »

Watching the film never felt "depressing" to me. It has always been one of my favorite Beatles films. Maybe it's because this was the very first Beatles film I ever saw. And for several years this was the only Beatles film I knew. I always enjoyed watching it.

My favorite part of the film is the bit with Ringo and George on the piano playing "Octopus's Garden". I used to watch it so often that I nearly ruined the tape... And I still think that Ringo never looked better than the way he looked in the film "Let It Be". (Well, of course, "The Magic Christian" was very good, too.)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2010, 01:26:09 PM »

I really don't think Let It Be is being held back because it's depressing. I think people forget the savaging McCartney and Yoko took in the seventies, and it's only been recently that their reputations have been rebuilt from the ego-centric control freaks they were portrayed as.
I don't think either of them are that keen to have that arguement dragged back in to the public domain again, which surely is what the release of this film would do.
don't follow leaders

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2010, 05:09:03 PM »

I really don't think Let It Be is being held back because it's depressing. I think people forget the savaging McCartney and Yoko took in the seventies, and it's only been recently that their reputations have been rebuilt from the ego-centric control freaks they were portrayed as.
I don't think either of them are that keen to have that arguement dragged back in to the public domain again, which surely is what the release of this film would do.

You really think so? I dont think they would allow that to happen at this point. Its not as though they dont have copies of this film and arent aware of the things that transpire. If anything, as much as the fighting, Paul and Yoko also have huge money signs in their eyes and they surely wouldnt be against a few more paychecks.

Mathews

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »

ya i agree.......i watched this a few days back ..

it always depress me...dont know why...

???

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2011, 03:02:06 AM »

Last night I watched the first part of Let It Be on YouTube (I'm so thankful to a Beatle fan I talk to online,she told me that's where she watched it...I'm so stupid because I never even thought of looking it up on YouTube).I don't have time to watch anymore of it today but I hope to finish watching it tomorrow or whenever I have time.The first part was only about 10 minutes and I loved the beginning when Paul was playing piano.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »

the rooftop show is simply amazing. 

Imagine being a fan nearby and hearing them go on.  Also remember none of the songs would have been known at that point (was One After 909 played in the early days at all?)

where were the wives?  Don't remember if my imagination or if I read it somewhere that they were explicitly asked not to go up on the roof with them? 

KelMar

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2011, 03:46:34 PM »

Last night I watched the first part of Let It Be on YouTube (I'm so thankful to a Beatle fan I talk to online,she told me that's where she watched it...I'm so stupid because I never even thought of looking it up on YouTube).I don't have time to watch anymore of it today but I hope to finish watching it tomorrow or whenever I have time.The first part was only about 10 minutes and I loved the beginning when Paul was playing piano.

That's on my list of things to do. I'd just as soon watch it in glorious HD but at this point I'll take what I can get and be glad for it.  ;)

Bobber

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2011, 05:59:04 PM »

It's widely available for download as well. It's illegal, but who cares?

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2011, 08:13:38 PM »

KelMar

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2011, 03:51:05 AM »

^^^^^

$49.98, that's why. :o
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 85 queries.