Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Japanese Beatles Pastiche  (Read 1440 times)

NotTheWalrus

• A Beginning
Japanese Beatles Pastiche
« on: April 27, 2017, 02:11:17 PM »

Well, here's something I didn't expect to find. Japanese musician Kazuhiko Katoh teamed up with another musician that I hadn't previously heard of in a unit called 'Kazukoh' where it seems that they wrote a whole lot of songs in the styles of various historical famous bands.

Here's their 'Beatles' song.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjVOCgW2S3g" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjVOCgW2S3g</a>

EDIT: Oh, it appears that youtube links aren't working. If you cut and paste バラバラ二人 和幸  into youtube search, it comes up as the first video. For me, anyhow.

The lyrics of all the songs appear to 'take the p' a bit. The Beatles song has over-the-top 'difficulties in love' lyrics and references to western songs. To me it's Rutleiscious. Another song is done in the style of Crosby, Stills, and Nash, and is about Curry Rice. Katoh started his music career as part of the Japanese new folk movement which was a reaction to the copyist 'group sounds'. Where bands would record mostly covers of western songs or at best extremely derivative songs. Kazukoh are clearly being very deliberately derivative.

There is a Beatles connection as Katoh came to London in the late 60s and was inspired to start a band inspired by T-Rex etc. and formed the Sadistic Mika Band. They recorded with Chris Thomas of Beatles mixing fame, but unfortunately Katoh's wife (and the band's lead singer) Mika left Katoh and eventually married Chris Thomas.

I'll just mention that I looked up the Kazukoh recordings because they were, I think, the last thing that Katoh recorded before he sadly committed suicide.

Sorry if this is a random only partially-relevant info dump by someone who doesn't post very much.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:14:31 PM by NotTheWalrus »

KelMar

Re: Japanese Beatles Pastiche
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 03:23:57 PM »

It's always interesting to see the far-reaching influence of The Beatles. I like their sound, even if I can't understand the words! Thanks for sharing.

NotTheWalrus

• A Beginning
Re: Japanese Beatles Pastiche
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 10:48:09 AM »

I could translate the words, but they are very generic early 60s words. I don't think there's a huge amount of value to be gained. Though, if anyone wants to know what they're singing, it'll be a doddle to translate due to the simplicity of the lyrics.

Note that the artists involved have created much deeper music. So, this is, I believe, deliberately light.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:56:48 AM by NotTheWalrus »

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 41 queries.