Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Singles - Let It Be  (Read 8411 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Singles - Let It Be
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:12:09 AM »

And so we come to the end.......
To think this began with debates about whether Love Me Do was too simple, and we end with this. For me, if Love Me Do was a light morning snack then Let It Be is a three course late night meal. I don't like it too much. It's too pompous and groans under its own worthy weight. "Speaking words of wisdom, Let It Be." Really?
If Hey Jude was a masterclass in how to make a wonderful, understated piano based epic then Let It Be is how not too do it.
Too pompous, too serious and up it's own arse by far. For once I agree with Lennon. Macca is trying too hard.

As for the b side, I guess it shows that if the band had followed through with their threat to become a comedy act then yes, they would have given The Bonzo Do Dah band a run for their money. Maybe it's flippancy is supposed to offset Let It Be's seriousness.
All in all a sad finish for such a great band.
don't follow leaders
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: Singles - Let It Be
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:29:46 AM »

'Let It Be' is certainly in my Beatles top three, right now it might even be my favorite song of theirs. This is one of those songs that is somehow much more than just the sum of a good composition, a good set of lyrics and a good performance. It has an almost spiritual kind of mood.

I like 'You Know My Name' quite a lot too. It's kind of a novelty thing but it's genuinly funny and it's a nice contrast with the A side.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:32:25 AM »

"Speaking words of wisdom, Let It Be." Really?

In some contexts "let it be" are definately words of wisdom.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:48:53 AM »

In some contexts "let it be" are definately words of wisdom.

For sure. I'm trying to think why this irks me, and I think it ties in with our Lennon sincerity thing. Assumption only, but I'm betting Macca got the phrase Let It Be from somewhere, thought it sounded nice and built a song around it.
Compare Let It Be to its contempory Bridge Over Troubled Waters. Both are going for the same audience. It too is very weighty and "spiritual" ( I guess) but for me it works, whereas LIB just sounds pompous. But that might be because I know -should say think - Macca is just doing his Clever Songwriter thing.
Think I'm digging myself a whiole here. But for some reason I don't like the damn thing.
don't follow leaders

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 12:01:42 PM »

3 simple words but what ambiguity. It's a take it or leave it statement. You just know that Macca was having a field day with this one. Gospel-tastic with the hammond organ and the descending ooh's in the chorus....Spiritual indeed. Very 'church hymn.'
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:24:53 PM »

I love the song for its musical aspects and while I feel that it has some kind of majestic or spiritual quality to it, I also see Kevins point about Paul being somewhat pompous with the whole thing. I almost get the feeling that Paul heard of thought up a decent little catch phrase and knew everybody would jump on the bandwagon because he was Paul McCartney and it was a Beatles song. Let It Be, just leave it alone, accept it, worry about yourself, be peaceful, etc,,,. Theres tons of things you can come with that plays within the context of those three words and people ate that stuff up at the time. Regardless of all that, I think the songs wonderful musically. Love the piano, thunderous drums, guitar solo (not so much the organ solo on the other version),and even the chorus. Great song composition wise in my opinion.

'You Know My Name' is kind of awful, but isnt that what they were aiming for in the first place with that song? If I never heard it again, it would alright with me.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 02:48:20 PM »

For sure. I'm trying to think why this irks me, and I think it ties in with our Lennon sincerity thing. Assumption only, but I'm betting Macca got the phrase Let It Be from somewhere, thought it sounded nice and built a song around it.
Compare Let It Be to its contempory Bridge Over Troubled Waters. Both are going for the same audience. It too is very weighty and "spiritual" ( I guess) but for me it works, whereas LIB just sounds pompous. But that might be because I know -should say think - Macca is just doing his Clever Songwriter thing.

Don't you think that's just because Paul was never known to be the "deep" and spiritual one? If George would've written 'Let It Be', I'm pretty sure that nobody would ever have questioned the sincerity of the lyrics.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:22:34 PM by Joost »

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 02:55:33 PM »

Don't you think that's just because Paul was never known to be the "deep" and spiritual one? If George wouldn't written 'Let It Be', I'm pretty sure that nobody would ever have questioned the sincerity of the lyrics.

Yeah - I thought that. But sincerity aside, I still find it all a bit heavy handed. I find lines like "there will be an answer Let It Be" etc a bit tortorous. In fact, it sounds like a George song   :)
So I've decided, it's not the sentiment or the sincerity. It's that's it's too pompous. But like I said I like Bridge Over Troubled Water, and In The Ghetto, which are pretty similar. And I know Elvis probably didn't give a sh*t about some inner city black kid. Lyrically Let It Be does not please me. And Macca did the whole thing so well with Hey Jude.
Dunno.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 02:57:20 PM »

Maybe it's George Martin's light touch that I miss.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 03:40:58 PM »

I thought most Beatles fans knew the story behind this song, but I guess not. The story goes that Paul was going through some turmoil due to the impending break-up of the band. Then one day he had a dream in which his mother appeared to him and said "Let it be". Hence the lyrics "Mother Mary". If that story is in fact true (which I believe it to be) we can hardly accuse Paul of insincerity. But even if it isn't, it doesn't make Let it Be any less of a good song.

Personally this is one of my favourite Beatles songs and one that I actually listen to when I have troubles going on in my life. I like that the lyrics are so simple, yet mean so much. As for the production, it may be off-putting to some but the spiritual vibe it gives off is really comforting to me. It is bombastic, but idk, I think it actually works. And I like George's guitar solo.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:42:29 PM by Mairi »
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 04:15:01 PM »

Thanks Mairi. Bombastic was the word. I withdraw my sincerity objection.
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 04:33:20 PM »

To each his own, but I'll take a simple, positive message that everyone can relate to every now and then over gibberish about newspaper taxis that appear on the shore at any time.

maywitch

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 06:38:39 PM »

I think this song is incredibly beautiful and very sincere.  I don't think Paul was doing anything but writing a song that really meant something to him.  To me it sounds like it does and actually I love the production, I think it's probably one of the most spiritual songs, if not the most spiritual song, the Beatles put out(I know about George but honestly I don't identify much with his brand of spirituality so for me this fits more what I think of as spiritual and I don't mean because Mother Mary to some has Christian connotations).  At least up there with Hey Jude even if not quite that level.  

The message is simple and powerful I think and I think it's something most people can identify with.

But then again, I've never particularly doubted Paul's sincerity. I think even most of those lightweight goofy songs are still sincere on his part

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 08:53:12 PM »

I enjoy this song, but I really, really dislike the production on it. I'll take the naked version or the Anthology (my personal favorite) version over the album or single anyday.

Even still, it's not one of my favorite Beatles songs, it just doesn't affect me strongly.

The name's Emily :)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 09:09:15 PM »

I absolutely adore the song!

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 09:42:01 PM »

nice little dirge...i love it as well.....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 09:45:12 PM »

The Beatles -Let It Be

The_Taxman

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 10:12:44 PM »

Anyone know where I can get that version? With the line "There will be no sorrow"?

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 10:26:38 PM »

it is the twickenham studio version i think....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 10:31:16 PM »

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 86 queries.