Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Most English Beatle ?  (Read 13163 times)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
Re: The Most English Beatle ?
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 09:36:47 PM »

To me John is more English. He looks more English than the others. He speaks a more English accent and even deliberately preserved the North English accent. Though maybe later changed it. His sense of humour. A touch of rudeness and cruelty. His eccentricity or do you mean the great English eccentricity is all made-up and imagined? His joking in the religious sphere, which is typical of the English; his so called hypocricy, the famous English thing as well. And one more thing which is contraversial (but you, guys, throw it on John) cause all the English men are suspected of that (certainly this is just a stereotype, do not beat me!). He fits the classical stereotype perfectly well.
Then comes George. Reserved, aloof, perfect sense of humour, English by appearance, still waters run deep. Proving the statement that English guys are the most handsome guys in the world, are gentlemen.
Paul doesn`t look English. He looks a bit Jewish. Maybe he has some relatives? Or maybe Scottish or Irish men look like that? But I have always wondered what his true nationality is. His behaviour defies all the English ways...But I maybe wrong.
And Ringo is partly Jewish, isn`t he?
All the same the 4 guys are certainly ENGLISH, and they represent the best and the most typical English features. But here we are speaking about who is the most of the most.
Have to add that this is my opinion. I don`t want to hurt anybody`s feelings.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 09:41:01 PM »

^  No, Ringo isn't Jewish.  Some people thought he was but he said he was not in the Anthology.

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 02:03:57 AM »

I think Paul. Because he was a little more 'Proper' English and he lived in London for a while and all that. But George was close. I thought about this for about 10 minutes haha.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 03:52:48 AM »

Quote from: 185

Found this quote about japanese culture;
"Japanese people tend to shy away from overt displays of emotion, and rarely smile or frown with their mouths, Yuki explained, because the Japanese culture tends to emphasize conformity, humbleness and emotional suppression, traits that are thought to promote better relationships."

I don't think smiling came easy to Yoko.  

Well, that might explain her miserable look all through the Let It Be movie. And every place else. Maybe she really is misunderstood! I seriously never know with her. She's a mystery.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 07:10:31 AM »

Is John the only one to make reference to the English in a song "Sitting In An English Garden " and " The English Army Had Just Won The War "
Can't think of other songs that do apart from I Am The Walrus and A Day In The Life ?

Bobber

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 07:33:02 AM »

Quote from: 971
Is John the only one to make reference to the English in a song "Sitting In An English Garden " and " The English Army Had Just Won The War "
Can't think of other songs that do apart from I Am The Walrus and A Day In The Life ?

"She was a working girl...."

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 08:00:19 AM »

Not a Beatles song, but there is Paul's "English Tea."

BlueMeanie

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 08:05:08 AM »

Piggies. Though George doesn't actually say 'English', it's clearly about the social class structure in England.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 05:48:37 PM »

Quote from: 483
Olivia is Mexican.

= North American  ;) !
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

BlueMeanie

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 06:04:33 PM »

Quote from: 568

= North American  ;) !

Well, I don't know how old she was when she moved to the States, but it seems she was born in Mexico City to Mexican parents, so I'd say that makes her Mexican. But each to their own.  ;)

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2009, 06:10:52 PM »

Well, I don't know how old she was when she moved to the States, but it seems she was born in Mexico City to Mexican parents, so I'd say that makes her Mexican. But each to their own.  ;)

Mexican by blood/ethnicity, but if she's an American citizen, then she's Mexican-American.  Sandra is right, everyone in the US is considered a "Something"-American (Asian American, Irish American, African American, etc.), unless you're native American.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2009, 06:38:45 PM »

http://geography.about.com/library/maps/blrnorthamerica.htm
Hey BM, what I'm saying is, Mexican is North American!  :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2009, 03:46:33 AM »

All the Mexican people who come over the border wanting to be Americans and work their asses off so they can legally become American citizens should never be called Americans? Craig Ferguson and Christopher Hitchens recently became citizens. When they speak, they refer to themselves as Americans and when speaking with other Americans say "we" and "our country" and so on. I think they would be offended if someone said they couldn't be considered Americans cuz they were born somewhere else.
My grandparents weren't born here, yet they were proud to call themselves Americans. Were they wrong? And they were older than Olivia when she came over with her family. Her bio says she was raised and educated here. So I'd say that makes her American. Just sayin'!  :)

Sorry so long winded!

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2009, 03:50:01 AM »

Danger, Will Robinson, danger!!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2009, 03:56:10 AM »

Why? I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. Just putting my opinion out there. I don't mean it to come off as angry or offensive. I really don't know how I could phrase it differently. Just read it as I intended it. In a pleasant voice and with a smile on my face.

Also, I think they are legitimate questions. I'm sure there are a lot of people who think that unless you're born in the country, you're never really a part of it. Or something like that. Which is fine. Everyone has opinions. Like BM said, to each his own.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2009, 04:17:58 AM »

Quote from: 216
Why? I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. Just putting my opinion out there. I don't mean it to come off as angry or offensive. I really don't know how I could phrase it differently. Just read it as I intended it. In a pleasant voice and with a smile on my face.

Also, I think they are legitimate questions. I'm sure there are a lot of people who think that unless you're born in the country, you're never really a part of it. Or something like that. Which is fine. Everyone has opinions. Like BM said, to each his own.

I don't think you're trying to be a jerk, and I agree and understand with what you're saying.  I just think this issue of being called "Something"-American or just plain "American" may be hard to understand for someone who lives outside the US.  We were born and raised with this knowledge, but people who live outside the country may not be aware that we nearly always use these terms to describe immigrant citizens or citizens who are descended from immigrants.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2009, 04:22:24 AM »

I think you're right. Probably a USA-specific attitude. Most of us being descended from immigrants and all. Except the Indians, but that's a different story.

Which kind of reminds me of a funny link I came across today, "Give America Back to the Indians" was a subtitle of the article, which sort played on the immigrant theme , in terms of Patrick Buchanan (yes, him!) and others:

http://wonkette.com/409381/english-only-wingnut-conference-cant-spell-conference
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2009, 04:33:36 AM »

Quote from: 568
I think you're right. Probably a USA-specific attitude. Most of us being descended from immigrants and all. Except the Indians, but that's a different story.

Yes, exactly.  I'm descended from immigrants, but I consider myself first and foremost an American.  I just break out the hyphenations if people want me to get specific!  :P  Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but how many other countries do the hyphenation thing too, if they have immigrants and their descendants?  What about Canada?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2009, 08:50:28 AM »

If Paul and George inparticular had taken American citizenship would they be seen as Irish Americans ? and why not English Americans , and how far back do you have to go within your family to get one of these lovely ethnic additions ?
Think i like the sound of Roman/English or Viking/English , in my case .
(wink1)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2009, 09:18:54 AM »

Think i like the sound of Roman/English or Viking/English , in my case .
(wink1)

I'm a Roman/English, born in Wales. lol
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 83 queries.