Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Apple should issue... (suggestions for future releases)  (Read 8201 times)

real01

• Getting Better
Apple should issue... (suggestions for future releases)
« on: December 14, 2015, 11:34:41 PM »

I think Apple should make some albums & compilations.

'Let It Be' and 'LiB Naked' should be packed together and sold at a price of one CD.
'Lib' has some great stuff - I prefer the choral/orchestrated version of 'Across The Universe' over the 'Naked' version.
On the other hand, the 'Naked' album has 'Don't Let Me Down', which is missing from the original 'LiB'.

With every (re)issue of Magical Mystery Tour we there should be a SFF / Penny Lane single - and 'Penny Lane' should be with a trumpet ending!

With every (re)issue of Rubber Soul and Revolver there should be included the U.S. versions of those albums 'cause they are a bit different.
(They don't have the same songs as the original UK versions - some songs are omitted and some other added.) Also, the price should be as for the single album.

I mentioned once before in one of my posts, we don't have the 'acoustic' Beatles album.
One album of that kind was issued in 1980's and it has never been issued on a CD.
So, since there is a Lennon's 'Acoustic', there should also be 'Beatles Acoustic' with all those nice tracks like 'And I Love Her', 'Julia', 'I Will', 'Long, Long, Long' - they could pick some
20-25 songs a make a fine compilation.

Next. An album could be made consisting of all George's songs written for the band, from 'Don't Bother Me' to 'Something', 'Here Comes The Sun' & 'I Me Mine'.
Again, there is about 25 of his songs which would be a great compilation.

And, as I also mentioned once, we should get all of their albums released with alternate versions & takes - so we can enjoy, for instance, the songs on Abbey Road in the versions we
haven't heard it before.
 8)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 11:39:03 PM by real01 »

real01

• Getting Better
Re: Apple should issue... (suggestions for future releases)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 10:40:29 AM »

Next. An album could be made consisting of all George's songs written for the band, from 'Don't Bother Me' to 'Something', 'Here Comes The Sun' & 'I Me Mine'.
Again, there is about 25 of his songs which would be a great compilation.
I've put a list of all George's Beatle's songs:

Cry for a Shadow (Lennon-Harrison, from Anthology)
Don't Bother Me
You Know What To Do (Anthology)
I Need You
You Like Me To Much
Think For Yourself
If I Needed Someone
Taxman
Love You Too
The Inner Light
Blue Jay Way
Within – Without You
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Piggies
Savoy Truffle
Long, Long, Long
Here Comes The Sun
Something
Old Brown Shoe
It's All Too Much
Only A Northern Song
I Me Mine
For You Blue
Not Guilty (Anthology)
All Things Must Pass (Anthology)

We could add couple more from other authors where George sings lead: The Sheik of Araby & Three Cool Cats (from Decca audition) and maybe Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby
& Roll over Beethoven
(live, from Anthology).

Nice stuff!  8)

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 10:43:39 AM »

Also, 'YS Songtrack' should be the definite album - 'cause the original 'YS' album has just 6 songs composed by the Fab Four.
And maybe they (the Apple) could include George Martin's instrumentals with 'YS Songtrack' as a bonus disc.  glassesslip

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 01:54:38 PM »

Being a purist, I'm totally against this idea.   I already can't believe they used the Capitol version MMT on the re-releases instead of giving us a nice U.K. EP!  ???

Now saying that since the US (Capitol Records) did in fact ad their own mixes and song selection to their own Albums, maybe this would be a place for Apple to do this.

Like they did with MMT, adding all the singles in '67, they could do the same with all the rest of them.
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 09:42:48 PM »

Being a purist, I'm totally against this idea.   I already can't believe they used the Capitol version MMT on the re-releases instead of giving us a nice U.K. EP!  ???

Well, I like the US MMT album 'cause I can enjoy more songs!

Hm... Just gave me an idea... Packaging MMT U.S. album together with original UK EP - two CD's for a price of one.  glassesslip

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 12:55:14 AM »

I can’t see Apple doing this real01, but the beauty of all of this is, you can make your own CD’s including covers and everything.

Man, I can remember getting excited about CD’s, and now I find they are going the way of Cassettes & 8-Tracks.  Funny LP’s are making a comeback  icon_king

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 06:06:38 AM »

I can’t see Apple doing this real01, but the beauty of all of this is, you can make your own CD’s including covers and everything.

Man, I can remember getting excited about CD’s, and now I find they are going the way of Cassettes & 8-Tracks.  Funny LP’s are making a comeback  icon_king

I havent played a CD in about 2 years, Ive given loads away after ripping them

all my stuff is on my laptop inc all The Beatles (FLAC) and I just bluetooth the music to my speakers

Bringing out more and more CD's is IMO pointless, millions are now not buying CD's, its all about itunes and bluetooth speakers
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 04:57:15 PM »

I havent played a CD in about 2 years, Ive given loads away after ripping them

all my stuff is on my laptop inc all The Beatles (FLAC) and I just bluetooth the music to my speakers

Bringing out more and more CD's is IMO pointless, millions are now not buying CD's, its all about itunes and bluetooth speakers

That's exactly were I'm at.  My iPod/iPhone sounds fantastic on my Surround Sound system, as well as my car stereo or Headphones.

Like I've said before, CD's are going the way of the do-do bird!  ;sorry

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 07:57:08 PM »

Bootleg Series set of releases like Dylan's, incorporating definitive versions of Decca Audition, Star Club, Sheridan, Glyn's 'Get Back', Esher tapes, MMT soundtrack with incidental music, full concerts (e.g. Sweden 1963), Xmas flexis......

Dylan is now way ahead of the biggest group of all time. WAY AHEAD.

Also.....mono and stereo couplings of all the U.K. albums with attendant relevant A and B sides and EP tracks.

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 10:21:58 PM »

I've noticed that - and the records are becoming more expensive and the CDs are cheaper.

However, I cannot afford to buy a new record player. And I don't have a big record collection, so I will have to start from the scratch. So I'd go for the cheaper option.
It is said the records have better sound then CDs - but, also, records can get scratched. Why don't they make a records from material that is hard or impossible to ruin?
Also, CDs are more handy - you don't have to flip it over every 20 minutes, they take less space etc.

There are Anthology albums available on records (3 LPs for each Anthology album) - but I think it is handier to have CDs - you can easily skip the songs you don't fancy that much.
You can do it on the record player also - but it takes more time & work.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:27:15 PM by real01 »

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 01:29:14 AM »

I dont like records, full of dust, scratchy, crackly etc

I dont agree they sound better
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 07:59:38 AM »

I'm with OBS. We don't need rehashing of existing Beatle material on differently arranged CDs. I'd like all the material possible released in whatever format. 

I think the vinyl resurgence is more about the overall experience. Having the great cover, putting the disc in, flipping it. I think the sound and convenience of MP3s is much better.

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 11:53:27 AM »

I dont like records, full of dust, scratchy, crackly etc

I dont agree they sound better
Well, the best sound there is (or was) when the Fab Four played in the studio and you happen to be there.

Next to it considering the quality and the faithful sound reproduction are the master tapes. Fans like us cannot get those tapes - they are kept in the vault for safekeeping.
Only the ones who do the remixes, remasters & reissues - the sound engineers - can listen to those tapes.

As third, the records come - and here we have a lot of options - some will say original UK releases sound the best from the 60's, some will say the 2015 vinyl reissues are the best, some will say
Japanese releases are the best etc.
Some say 'mono' - others prefer 'stereo.'

And, as we see, some prefer the CDs.  glassesslip

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 12:14:51 AM »

I'm with OBS. We don't need rehashing of existing Beatle material on differently arranged CDs. I'd like all the material possible released in whatever format. 

I think the vinyl resurgence is more about the overall experience. Having the great cover, putting the disc in, flipping it. I think the sound and convenience of MP3s is much better.

Yes, your dead right about the resurgence of LP's

They used to drive me mad though, trying to keep them dust free and free from fingerprints and scratches, also they seemed to get thinner & thinner but in the 60's they were better quality and heavier. Even the size of them got on my nerves, all that shelf space and the shelf always sagged if you had too many (and that annoyed me haha)

The best Ive ever heard the Beatle albums is the Remasters in Mono on CD, clear as a bell and you can hear everything thats in the mix ......I have these converted to FLAC in my itunes, free from dust and safe from scratches.......pristine in fact.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 10:19:16 PM »

Another compilation - songs covered by the Fab Four.
Not likely that it will ever by issued by a record company, but we can make a nice playlist for our ears.

They did quite a few covers.
If we look at their official albums (& singles), we get this list which makes an interesting compilation:

Anna (Go To Him)
Chains
Boys
Baby, It's You
A Taste of Honey
Twist & Shout
Till There Was You
Mr. Postman
Roll Over Beethoven
You Really Got A Hold On Me
Devil In Her Heart
Money
Act Naturally
Long Tall Sally
Bad Boy
Slow Down
Matchbox
R'n'r Music
Mr. Moonlight
Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey
Words of Love
Honey Don't
Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby

To this, cover songs from the BBC albums should be added:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_the_BBC_%28Beatles_album%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Air_%E2%80%93_Live_at_the_BBC_Volume_2

And not to forget the Decca Audition...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles'_Decca_audition

...and stuff they did in Hamburg days (My Bonnie & other covers).

For me, not all of this covers are great, so I would do a selection, a 'best of' on - let's say two CDs to play.  glassesslip
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:21:31 PM by real01 »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 01:05:23 AM »

They used to drive me mad though, trying to keep them dust free and free from fingerprints and scratches, also they seemed to get thinner & thinner but in the 60's they were better quality and heavier. Even the size of them got on my nerves, all that shelf space and the shelf always sagged if you had too many (and that annoyed me haha)

Yep it was a fifty fifty proposition that you'd get one with some skipping flaw. And if it was fine to begin with it'd likely end up scratched sooner or later. I'm not sorry to have CDs and MP3s at all.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 01:32:18 AM »

Another compilation - songs covered by the Fab Four.
Not likely that it will ever by issued by a record company, but we can make a nice playlist for our ears.

They did quite a few covers.
If we look at their official albums (& singles), we get this list which makes an interesting compilation:

Anna (Go To Him)
Chains
Boys
Baby, It's You
A Taste of Honey
Twist & Shout
Till There Was You
Mr. Postman
Roll Over Beethoven
You Really Got A Hold On Me
Devil In Her Heart
Money
Act Naturally
Long Tall Sally
Bad Boy
Slow Down
Matchbox
R'n'r Music
Mr. Moonlight
Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey
Words of Love
Honey Don't
Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby

To this, cover songs from the BBC albums should be added:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_the_BBC_%28Beatles_album%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Air_%E2%80%93_Live_at_the_BBC_Volume_2

And not to forget the Decca Audition...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles'_Decca_audition

...and stuff they did in Hamburg days (My Bonnie & other covers).

For me, not all of this covers are great, so I would do a selection, a 'best of' on - let's say two CDs to play.  glassesslip

Apologies real01, but the completist in me cannot allow the omission of "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" from your otherwise exhaustive list to go unmentioned....

and what about "Maggie Mae"? Do we count their re-working of this public domain traditional folk song as a "cover version"?

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 11:05:23 AM »

Apologies real01, but the completist in me cannot allow the omission of "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" from your otherwise exhaustive list to go unmentioned....
I was checking the 'Help' album, having in mind not to forget any of the songs - so I've included 'Act Naturally', sung by Ringo, but somehow forget to add John's cover, 'Dizzy Miss Lizzy'.

and what about "Maggie Mae"? Do we count their re-working of this public domain traditional folk song as a "cover version"?
Oh, yes, that one must to be included. I guess I forgot about it 'cause it is so short (running less than a minute) - and because it is, as you pointed out, traditional, folk song.
It could be a great either starting or closing track on the album of covers.  8) I just love the track!

As for the list, I actually had to carefully check albums' tracklists, especially the first album 'cause all the songs sound as if they were written by Lennon-McCartney.
OK, I knew 'Twist and Shout' was a cover - but, for instance, 'Baby It's You' sounds as it was written by John, who sang it. Again, 'A Taste of Honey' sounds just like a ballad
composed by Paul. I guess they selected their favourite covers and they sung it so good that it sounds as their own material.  glassesslip
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:17:35 AM by real01 »

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 08:41:18 AM »

Capitol issued a little different version of the 'Rubber Soul' album - they considered it as the 'folk-rock album', so they've excluded some tracks and added some from the album Help -
I've Just Seen A Face & It's Only Love.

The American edition differed markedly from its British counterpart. Four tracks were removed and set aside for the next American album, Yesterday and Today: "Drive My Car", "Nowhere Man", "What Goes On" and "If I Needed Someone". These were replaced with two tracks from the UK Help! album: "I've Just Seen a Face" and "It's Only Love". The total time was 28:55, nearly 7 minutes shorter than the British version. Through peculiarities of sequencing, by placing the Help! tracks at the beginning of each side, Rubber Soul was deliberately reconfigured to appear a "folk rock" album to angle the Beatles into that emergent lucrative American genre during 1965.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_Soul

Now, here's how I would make an album combining my favourite tracks from RS & H albums:

I've Just Seen a Face
Norwegian Wood
I Need You
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
Michelle
Girl
In My Life
Yesterday
It's Only Love
If I Needed Someone
You're Going to Lose That Girl
I'm Looking Through You
Ticket to Ride
You Won't See Me
Wait
Nowhere Man
The Word
Run for Your Life
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:55:32 AM by real01 »

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 02:14:37 PM »

I'm not really advocating for this but I suppose you could release separate Beatles albums divided into the following categories:
  Songs primarily by:
  John
  Paul
  George
  Ringo

And finally, songs considered to be true Lennon/McCartney shared and created compositions (50/50).

Also, maybe an album of Beatles songs that sound alike or have common musical themes, chords, keys, beats, vocal styles/blendings, etc.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.095 seconds with 80 queries.